UnevenEdge

Crunchyroll gets a spotlight in the Hollywood Reporter, DeMarco presumably fuming in response

Jman

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/sony-crunchyroll-specialty-streamer-asian-content-1235352518/

The parent that got the kids and the house in the split between Toonami and FUNi/Crunchyroll is getting spotlight articles in the trade papers about how a their focus on getting more anime and abandoning their originals (while also promoting more cultural stuff like their awards show) and how their control of the sector is parallel to Sony itself seeing themselves as an “arms dealer” to streamers at war.

• Like 2

An arms dealer that mostly keeps their weapons to themselves…

Interesting statistics in that article. I’m a bit surprised that CR is seeing so much growth with 13-17 when they have kneecapped their free options. I would think that would drive more teens to piracy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

An arms dealer that mostly keeps their weapons to themselves…

Interesting statistics in that article. I’m a bit surprised that CR is seeing so much growth with 13-17 when they have kneecapped their free options. I would think that would drive more teens to piracy.

New generation has been very well conditioned to believe piracy is on the same level as a war crime. 

Id also say it’s just kind of a generational gap thing. This is the first generation of teens that have grown up where it wasnt all that unusual to live in a house without cable. Not because it was an expensive luxury, but because it was outdated. Similar to how our generation saw the cable bill as just one of those things you had to pay, the new one sees the streaming bill the same way, though it’s certainly more economical for a teen to afford CR than it is for them to afford cable.

Another thing our generation didn’t have many options. If there was an anime you wanted to keep up with, the official release was always way too far behind, and DVDs cost a fortune anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

New generation has been very well conditioned to believe piracy is on the same level as a war crime. 

Id also say it’s just kind of a generational gap thing. This is the first generation of teens that have grown up where it wasnt all that unusual to live in a house without cable. Not because it was an expensive luxury, but because it was outdated. Similar to how our generation saw the cable bill as just one of those things you had to pay, the new one sees the streaming bill the same way, though it’s certainly more economical for a teen to afford CR than it is for them to afford cable.

Another thing our generation didn’t have many options. If there was an anime you wanted to keep up with, the official release was always way too far behind, and DVDs cost a fortune anyway. 

This just is not true in terms of my experience. My nieces and nephews are all about it and today's teens seem as eager as ever to pirate if they, or their parents are not willing to get every streaming service they want. Especially when certain shows are locked in 'jails' or are exclusive to a service they do not have. 

In general, piracy is higher than ever.

Anime as well.  

I do not know how it compares to 15 years ago or so, but it is as prevalent as ever, especially for anime. The only people in the west that seem to think piracy is bad are the people losing money from it.. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

8 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

^ Now the real question is do they know to right-click the magnet link in order to download?

Not knowing that secret and when to stop seeding is what got peeps caught in the 00's.

LMAO I am quite the opposite of what I think Toonamiguy proposed haha generations after mine seem eager to pirate while my old ass is too lazy and just buys the subscriptions that I want. I also hated downloading something only to watch it and delete it, so I would quickly fill up hard drives and it is just easier for me to pay a subscription. 

The real issue is that many will only buy a sub to watch a hand full of shows, I have even been there (I still have HiDive, though I admit that they have been getting some more decent content lately haha), so why pay subs when you can just pirate? If anything, it is just as easy, or even easier today! 

Edited by atomicinumatt

53 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

This just is not true in terms of my experience. My nieces and nephews are all about it and today's teens seem as eager as ever to pirate if they, or their parents are not willing to get every streaming service they want. Especially when certain shows are locked in 'jails' or are exclusive to a service they do not have. 

Anime as well.  

I do not know how it compares to 15 years ago or so, but it is as prevalent as ever, especially for anime. The only people in the west that seem to think piracy is bad are the people losing money from it.. 

Guess we just have different experiences then. Back in my day, me and the boys took great pride in whatever we were pirating. If you weren’t getting it for free you were doing something wrong. These days, when the topic comes up with my nieces and nephews they either chastise the practice, or spew falsehoods like how it will kill your computer no matter what. Maybe my family is just a bunch of tech illiterate goody two shoes. 

Also, a lot of online anime communities have a strict policy about discussion of piracy. You can argue they are just doing that to cover the sites ass, but often times mods in those places treat it very personally as if they are the ones losing money. 

There’s two types of piracy, people who actually go through the trouble to download the episode, or people who just use stream sites. Most stream sites were pretty shitty until recent years, but they have improved a lot since then, so much so I’d argue the quality is comparable to a cable broadcast. Personally I’m a one and done watcher, so I don’t see much value in filling up my hard drive or finding a niche show with seeds when I could just quickly stream it. Obviously that opens me up to the above issue, stuff may not be available so easy forever, but unless I absolutely adore the series, that’s never going to be an issue for me. 

Personal experiences aside, the fact is that it is more prevalent than ever, across media. And the anime space seems to take the brunt of it. 

Just go on any community site and see how often "sailing the high seas" is talked about. You are dead wrong if you think younger generations are not pirating and prolific rates. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

55 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Personal experiences aside, the fact is that it is more prevalent than ever, across media. And the anime space seems to take the brunt of it. 

Just go on any community site and see how often "sailing the high seas" is talked about. You are dead wrong if you think younger generations are not pirating and prolific rates. 

Oh no, I’m not suggesting the younger demo doesn’t pirate. They absolutely do. There are simply more of them who don’t consider a CR/Hidive/whatever subscription to be a mark of shame, as we see in the growth stats in the article. 

I'm one of those people who torrents a lot of stuff, but it's not really about piracy. Granted, I did just download a big e-hentai archive of a Touhou artist where you have to pay to get certain images, so I'll have to shoot them a donation at some point.

[r.i.p. yeeshkul!]

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2023 at 3:41 PM, atomicinumatt said:

Anime as well.  

But remember when we were told years ago that the anime industry was going to go out of business because of piracy? xD There was an actual PSA and website about it that the industry itself started.  I can't remember what it was called.

Though piracy does have to have some sort of effect.  But I guess there's enough people buying DVDs, Blu-rays, merch, and figures etc to make up for it.  And some of the people who buy crap buy A LOT of crap!

19c14ed24cab3b8bb51013d644e6d30e.jpg

On 3/15/2023 at 3:53 PM, atomicinumatt said:

LMAO I am quite the opposite of what I think Toonamiguy proposed haha generations after mine seem eager to pirate while my old ass is too lazy and just buys the subscriptions that I want. I also hated downloading something only to watch it and delete it, so I would quickly fill up hard drives and it is just easier for me to pay a subscription. 

The real issue is that many will only buy a sub to watch a hand full of shows, I have even been there (I still have HiDive, though I admit that they have been getting some more decent content lately haha), so why pay subs when you can just pirate? If anything, it is just as easy, or even easier today! 

I don't agree with that.  The actual streaming services (or TV providers) are almost always easier and more convenient to use.  Not to mention "go-to" sites getting shut down. The way to beat piracy is to make the official option too convenient, which is what happened with the WWE Network, which was also priced very fairly.  I have not pirated any WWE shows since it came out. 

If I could, I would watch every anime via legitimate streaming platforms, but I refuse to get Crunchyroll, because of the shitty merger and not carrying over account credentials, watch history, and queue from Funi, or even all the shows (I use Netflix, Hulu, Funi Now, Tubi etc,) and sadly, some shows aren't on any legitimate streaming platform.

~

As to the OP, iilluminaughtii recently made a video about how Crunchyroll is a horrible monopoly that screws voice actors, so I'm not sure all their PR is so great.

Edited by ben0119