UnevenEdge

I'm going to start carrying soon.

SwimModSponges

For real man. For real.

I've always seen myself as a spearman, but the utility, ease of use, and just general satisfaction of beatin' a motherfucker about the head with a goddamn stick is just...

I mean, you can take a stick anywhere. Wait, can you take a stick anywhere? I think you can.

Go to walmart right now holding a quartersaff. Aint nobody gonna stop you. 

If you're worried get a wide-brimmed hat. Bam, you're a backpacker stopping for supplies and you're not gonna just leave your stick in the parking lot, are you?

Not gonna take the staff from this wizard, that's for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

For real man. For real.

I've always seen myself as a spearman, but the utility, ease of use, and just general satisfaction of beatin' a motherfucker about the head with a goddamn stick is just...

I mean, you can take a stick anywhere. Wait, can you take a stick anywhere? I think you can.

Go to walmart right now holding a quartersaff. Aint nobody gonna stop you. 

If you're worried get a wide-brimmed hat. Bam, you're a backpacker stopping for supplies and you're not gonna just leave your stick in the parking lot, are you?

Not gonna take the staff from this wizard, that's for sure.

They're not going to care about your quarter staff in a walmart because they're to busy watching the shoppers open carrying. 😆

There are guns everywhere, dude.

This isn't the 16th century. In every scenario involving weapons, you get gunned down.

So all that's left are the situations where you would essentially be beating unarmed people with a big stick.

• Like 1

I have one or two or three of those...

20230106_232330.thumb.jpg.c74d84001f903191630428c2eaec3a1e.jpg  

Thas mah pretty one.

The one I used to practice with once upon a time is only 5' cause I'm short as hell.

20230106_233911.thumb.jpg.043cc68296db1ed8caa7cdc73838c06e.jpg

I had to go dig it outta the attic, but I did so because who knows, maybe I'll start up again.  Thanks for the inspiration! :D

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 11:58 PM, The_annoying_one said:

This thread is makin’ me wanna play Ghost of Tsushima again.

I miss my PS4….

If you don't mind buying from second hand sites, you can always get a replacement that works well. I did just that back in November, and I'm so happy that I did. And I usually don't even use it for gaming either. I use it for watching TV and movies.

4 minutes ago, Vela said:

I have one or two or three of those...

20230106_232330.thumb.jpg.c74d84001f903191630428c2eaec3a1e.jpg  

Thas mah pretty one.

The one I used to practice with once upon a time is only 5' cause I'm short as hell.

20230106_233911.thumb.jpg.043cc68296db1ed8caa7cdc73838c06e.jpg

I had to go dig it outta the attic, but I did so because who knows, maybe I'll start up again.  Thanks for the inspiration! :D

I need to go LARPing someday. I don't think one would be able to use those unless they were padded though. (But of course, I've never LARPep before so I wouldn't know.) At any rate, those look friggin' sweet, especially the first one.

On 1/5/2023 at 12:36 AM, cyberbully said:

I prefer a feudal tachi

I have one of those too...and a few bokken.

Uhhh, I look funny cause I had to stand back to show that it's 28 inches and not a katana or something ^_^

20230107_001611.thumb.jpg.06daf7ef961f9897a2f3049b534ed910.jpg

20230107_001200.thumb.jpg.6c2471fe6a3f080203c26fdded827b73.jpg

Ooooo pretty rainbow LEDs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

If you don't mind buying from second hand sites, you can always get a replacement that works well. I did just that back in November, and I'm so happy that I did. And I usually don't even use it for gaming either. I use it for watching TV and movies.

I still have my old xbox, and I set it up for my Mom to watch Dvds on when she visits xD

3 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

I still technically have my PS4. Due to a life implosion that I don’t wanna talk about, I recently had to move, and most of my stuff is still at my old house, for now.

Just now, The_annoying_one said:

I still technically have my PS4. Due to a life implosion that I don’t wanna talk about, I recently had to move, and most of my stuff is still at my old house, for now.

Yeah, that makes sense. Well, as soon as you're able to get it setup in your new house, let me know and we can be friends...or something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vela said:

I still have my old xbox, and I set it up for my Mom to watch Dvds on when she visits xD

That's awesome! I also got a PS2 for some nostalgia-fueled gaming. I haven't attempted to watch any DVD's on it yet, but in due time. Yes. In due time. (Because I really want to binge Outlaw Star again.)

Also, exquisite looking bokken! I need to look into collecting swords again. Both my dad and older brother had quite a sword collection put together. (My dad mainly collected katanas, and had a complete daisho. (I'm sure I'm wrong on this, but from what I understand, he had a red Katana with a matching wakizashi and tanto displayed on a wooden stand made specifically for the three swords.)

Edited by hornedlizardman

8 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

That's awesome! I also got a PS2 for some nostalgia-fueled gaming. I haven't attempted to watch any DVD's on it yet, but in due time. Yes. In due time. (Because I really want to binge Outlaw Star again.)

Also, exquisite looking bokken! I need to look into collecting swords again. Both my dad and older brother had quite a sword collection put together. (My dad mainly collected katanas, and had a complete daisho. (I'm sure I'm wrong on this, but from what I understand, he had a red Katana with a matching wakizashi and tanto displayed on a wooden stand made specifically for the three swords.)

You're probably right as those three are commonly sold together.  Right except about the bokken, I probably confused things by mentioning them an not including pics.  Bokken are just wooden practice swords.  I have not used my steel swords for anything but to occasionally practice drawing (as in unsheathing) correctly.  No, not even for slicing fruit...no matter how much I secretly want to.  oops >.>

Just now, Vela said:

You're probably right as those three are commonly sold together.  Right except about the bokken, I probably confused things by mentioning them an not including pics.  Bokken are just wooden practice swords.  I have not used my steel swords for anything but to occasionally practice drawing (as in unsheathing) correctly.  No, not even for slicing fruit...no matter how much I secretly want to.  oops >.>

We need to get you some cantaloupes and watermelons to slice through. (Also, we can make a melon medley. Maybe even some fruit salad. Midday dessert is solved! Woot!)

9 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

We need to get you some cantaloupes and watermelons to slice through. (Also, we can make a melon medley. Maybe even some fruit salad. Midday dessert is solved! Woot!)

Well now I really need to practice I guess.  Out of curiosity are you intending to throw said fruit at me or are we steaking the ground with bamboo flutes while I run through and attempt to slice fruit and not human limbs by accident.  Because I don't know how readily available bamboo is, I suppose we could go with rattan in a pinch though.  I might have to draw the line at running across the bamboo...remember that fun fact about me having vertigo and everything, not the best at balancing anymore.

Just now, Vela said:

Well now I really need to practice I guess.  Out of curiosity are you intending to throw said fruit at me or are we steaking the ground with bamboo flutes while I run through and attempt to slice fruit and not human limbs by accident.  Because I don't know how readily available bamboo is, I suppose we could go with rattan in a pinch though.  I might have to draw the line at running across the bamboo...remember that fun fact about me having vertigo and everything, not the best at balancing anymore.

I'm sure we can figure something out. I don't want you to lose your balance and get hurt.

40 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

I need to go LARPing someday. I don't think one would be able to use those unless they were padded though. (But of course, I've never LARPep before so I wouldn't know.) At any rate, those look friggin' sweet, especially the first one.

I almost missed this post.  LARPing is different than reenacting which is where you would see the majority of reefing and combat.  You're prob allowed to carry when LARPing but I'm not entirely sure.  I'm more familiar with reenactment.  Your staff would need to be padded, its' core would be pvc not wood, and it would need to be inspected/approved by a reev before combat.  Such "weapons" are called boffer weapons.

3 minutes ago, Vela said:

I almost missed this post.  LARPing is different than reenacting which is where you would see the majority of reefing and combat.  You're prob allowed to carry when LARPing but I'm not entirely sure.  I'm more familiar with reenactment.  Your staff would need to be padded, its' core would be pvc not wood, and it would need to be inspected/approved by a reev before combat.  Such "weapons" are called boffer weapons.

I shouldn't laugh, but boffer weapons? lol That's funny. (I still wanna LARP though. >_>)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

I shouldn't laugh, but boffer weapons? lol That's funny. (I still wanna LARP though. >_>)

Idk where the name comes from but I'm pretty sure I laughed the first time they were explained to me as well.

1 hour ago, hornedlizardman said:

Dude, this looks super rad! I think there's a LARPing community in Sugar Land. I need to check them out.

As your unlicensed therapist I think a new hobby such as this would be most beneficial at this juncture in your life. ::pushes glasses higher bridge of her nose:: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

I'm seriously considering doing this.

Stop talking and do.  I'm as serious as you are about it...maybe even more so.  Stop typing here and go look up when and where their next event is.  I'm sure you'll find the community excited about new members interested in it.

On 1/8/2023 at 2:38 AM, Vela said:

Stop talking and do.  I'm as serious as you are about it...maybe even more so.  Stop typing here and go look up when and where their next event is.  I'm sure you'll find the community excited about new members interested in it.

I'll check one out on a weekend this month.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vela said:

I think this is on topic as there are certainly people with staffs here.  Pretty sure they're rattan.  I'm one of the ones in red off to the right, but I was not using a staff, my boffer weapons were arrows.

image.png.036974bd39a77b6d54d260c7cfab69f0.png

I don't care what anyone says. Archers are badass! (I'm not just saying that because you were one. I really mean it. You could act like a sniper and take out multiple people without even getting attacked. Well, ideally, of course.)

6 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

I don't care what anyone says. Archers are badass! (I'm not just saying that because you were one. I really mean it. You could act like a sniper and take out multiple people without even getting attacked. Well, ideally, of course.)

Ha, right, ideally being the chief word there because it really depends on the terrain and what's at your disposal.  I once used a "dead" body to shield myself from another archer but in general you don't want to get in the habit of doing that because you kinda want the heavies in front of you to stay alive.  In that respect it's hard to aim while having to constantly move hoping the other archer targeting you has a poor shot.  But archers are definitely a threat if nobody else is carrying projectiles.

9 minutes ago, Vela said:

Ha, right, ideally being the chief word there because it really depends on the terrain and what's at your disposal.  I once used a "dead" body to shield myself from another archer but in general you don't want to get in the habit of doing that because you kinda want the heavies in front of you to stay alive.  In that respect it's hard to aim while having to constantly move hoping the other archer targeting you has a poor shot.  But archers are definitely a threat if nobody else is carrying projectiles.

Are you allowed to climb trees, at least? What I mean is you could be perched in a tree and just take out people with your arrows. (Probably against the rules, though, huh?0

28 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

Are you allowed to climb trees, at least? What I mean is you could be perched in a tree and just take out people with your arrows. (Probably against the rules, though, huh?0

It would depend on the the organization's rules and regs.  If it's rec fighting then you usually sign a waver before you're allowed to participate, so climbing trees might be acceptable as long as you're within bounds.  But I could easily see becoming more of a target up in a tree as there's no way to move about, and if you get shot in the leg or even foot I could see the reeve calling you out or suggesting you play a handicap from the ground.  But an interesting thought.

Just now, Vela said:

It would depend on the the organization's rules and regs.  If it's rec fighting then you usually sign a waver before you're allowed to participate, so climbing trees might be acceptable as long as you're within bounds.  But I could easily see becoming more of a target up in a tree as there's no way to move about, and if you get shot in the leg or even foot I could see the reeve calling you out or suggesting you play a handicap from the ground.  But an interesting thought.

Ah, I see. I guess I'll stick with a broadsword kind of thing then. lol (Though archery would be really cool to master.)

7 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

Ah, I see. I guess I'll stick with a broadsword kind of thing then. lol (Though archery would be really cool to master.)

Or a staff!  Staffs can be very stabby stabby through cracks in armor and openings around shields.  Just depends on how close in combat you want to get.  I picked archery because I was tiny and didn't relish the idea of getting trampled to death nor did I have the strength to push barricades or block advances.  

1 minute ago, Vela said:

Or a staff!  Staffs can be very stabby stabby through cracks in armor and openings around shields.  Just depends on how close in combat you want to get.  I picked archery because I was tiny and didn't relish the idea of getting trampled to death nor did I have the strength to push barricades or block advances.  

Yeah, that's true. That would be fun as hell, actually. Plus, if it ever "breaks" in half, I'd have two weapons instead of one!

Also, we brought it completely back on topic! Woo!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hornedlizardman said:

Yeah, that's true. That would be fun as hell, actually. Plus, if it ever "breaks" in half, I'd have two weapons instead of one!

Also, we brought it completely back on topic! Woo!

Yeah, whew!  This staying on topic thing is very difficult for a former asmb basement dweller.   Feel a lil like I'm being reformed but I have courage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1