UnevenEdge

Primal marathon announced for Christmas weekend and a FLCL marathon announced for New Year’s Eve weekend

AnimationFan14

I didn’t expect much for the holidays, and I’m glad I can skip guilt free, but what the hell is going on with 12/24? I’m exhausted with Primal as anyone else is, but why only 2 hours? 

They pulled this same stunt with DST where they sneak a controversial schedule change in with a schedule shift. Thankfully, they can’t actually cut a full hour off in the new year immediately without dropping an active premier. But this makes it feel like they are preparing us for that type of change soon. 

• Like 1

This will be the first time since Toonami was canceled where it'll only run two hours. Eep.

The only reason I can think of for why they'd do this is because they want to run the yule log horror movie again in the back half. I really hope this isn't setting a precedent for the block, because the normal schedule going under three hours would be concerning. Can't they at least wait until, say, Shippuden ends to cut things back?

Hopefully the OG FLCL marathonning is a sign that Grunge and/or Shoegaze are close. I'm curious as to why they still haven't rerun the last two new ones since right after their original runs. I would've done a marathon for each of then to fill out the holidays, not because they're any good (well, Alternative was fine), but to remind the audience that they exist.

• Thanks 1

Here are a couple of scenarios that I have thought up for the block going into the new year based on these marathons. 

1. Burn off Primal 7-10, move Naruto down to 2:30, and restart One Piece at 2 episodes. 
Some of us suspected that Toonami may have not bought enough episodes in January to sustain OP at 2 episodes per week the entire year. The pace down may have been purely to get us into the new year at which point they can buy another, likely larger, batch of episodes for 2023. 

2. Burn off Primal 7-10, burn through the overplayed first season of FLCL, and have Progressive and then Alternative take over 2:30. 
As we all know, Prog and Alt both only saw reruns way back in 2018, immediately after airing. The original, while much more loved, suffers the issue of being overplayed. So they blow through that on the 31st, then have Prog and Alt carry us into the spring, where we have been told the new seasons are supposed to start. 

3. Burn off Primal 7-10, and cut 2:30a at the start of the year. Later, cut the open slot left by either Yashahime or MiA. 
The pessimist take, but one we shouldn’t wave off as impossible. Blatch has a valid point, even if it’s Christmas Eve and viewership will be at rock bottom, it’s a concerning precedent that Toonami can just have time chopped off on a whim. 

4. Burn off Primal 7-10, move Naruto to 2:30, One Piece to 2, and start a brand new pickup at 1:30 or earlier. The optimist take, and we do have some precedent of this possibility from last year when AssClass started the first Saturday of January. They may have a show on deck and simply need to wait to sign the check on Jan 1 when their coffers reset. 

What do you guys think? 

• Thanks 1

Seeing how it's a 2-hour block on Christmas Eve but the standard 3-hour on New Year's, I don't think the block's in any danger of shrinking permanently. If you ask me, I have a feeling they're saving the 2AM hour for a replay of the [adult swim] Yule Log. As for what replaces Primal reruns at 2:30 in 2023, I'm guessing reruns of FLCL Progressive and Alternative (hence why season 1's getting the marathon), as prep for Grunge premiering in the spring.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Seeing how it's a 2-hour block on Christmas Eve but the standard 3-hour on New Year's, I don't think the block's in any danger of shrinking permanently. If you ask me, I have a feeling they're saving the 2AM hour for a replay of the [adult swim] Yule Log. As for what replaces Primal reruns at 2:30 in 2023, I'm guessing reruns of FLCL Progressive and Alternative (hence why season 1's getting the marathon), as prep for Grunge premiering in the spring.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking. We get two weekend marathons in a row, so they may just want to air more regular [as] content for one of them. I am actually hoping that they do indeed play reruns of the two FLCL sequels after the original because I honestly have not watched them yet lmao

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 2

For the moment I’m not too concerned with a cut, I just don’t like the precedent that Toonami can have it’s time cut down whenever they feel like for some alternative content. Let’s say it is Yule Log, why does that have to air within the blocks 1 day, 3 hour window? It could air any other time on Saturday. It doesn’t make Toonami feel like a valued priority if it’s so easily cast aside like this. 

If I’m ranking my predictions, I’d say 2-1-4-3. FLCL reruns at 2:30 feel like a safe bet. 

9 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

For the moment I’m not too concerned with a cut, I just don’t like the precedent that Toonami can have it’s time cut down whenever they feel like for some alternative content. Let’s say it is Yule Log, why does that have to air within the blocks 1 day, 3 hour window? It could air any other time on Saturday. It doesn’t make Toonami feel like a valued priority if it’s so easily cast aside like this. 

If I’m ranking my predictions, I’d say 2-1-4-3. FLCL reruns at 2:30 feel like a safe bet. 

I Think they are going with the assumption that "Nobody watches TV On Christmas Eve" so that gives them an excuse to cut down toonami's time that night

I've seen that message stated by other people before regarding weird marathon decisions "Who cares? nobody watches the block on holidays anyways"

But I'll be watching crunchyroll on that day/night because i don't have a huge family gathering to attend nor do i live in some big city with elaborate christmas celebrations

so what else am i to do except watch anime and maybe play video games?

Edited by CountFrylock

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

All of this ^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

I Think they are going with the assumption that "Nobody watches TV On Christmas Eve" so that gives them an excuse to cut down toonami's time that night

I've seen that message stated by other people before regarding weird marathon decisions "Who cares? nobody watches the block on holidays anyways"

But I'll be watching crunchyroll on that day/night because i don't have a huge family gathering to attend nor do i live in some big city with elaborate christmas celebrations

so what else am i to do except watch anime and maybe play video games?

I get that, and I do feel that way about this. I’m actually a little relieved that the predictions of Batman didn’t come to pass as I may have actually wanted to tune in for that despite not going to be able to on either week. That said, if nobody is watching anyway, what’s the point of messing with Toonami hours to air something else? 6 episodes of Primal would have just been some groans, instead we have a weird 4 episode night for the first time ever that is raising some eyebrows. 

Should we expect future marathon nights to come with reduced/no Toonami? After quietly cutting an hour last month, this was really not the best time to stoke worries that AS isn’t opposed to the block going under 3 hours. 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I get that, and I do feel that way about this. I’m actually a little relieved that the predictions of Batman didn’t come to pass as I may have actually wanted to tune in for that despite not going to be able to on either week. That said, if nobody is watching anyway, what’s the point of messing with Toonami hours to air something else? 6 episodes of Primal would have just been some groans, instead we have a weird 4 episode night for the first time ever that is raising some eyebrows. 

Should we expect future marathon nights to come with reduced/no Toonami? After quietly cutting an hour last month, this was really not the best time to stoke worries that AS isn’t opposed to the block going under 3 hours. 

Because "Christmas" that's it....they probably think that gives them an excuse to get weird with the schedule and nobody will notice because nobody's watching

however somebody will be watching because contrary to popular belief

not everyone goes to christmas parties and not everyone has a family gathering like you see on those cheesy holiday movies

some people just don't have anything better to do and so those are the ones who will notice the strange schedule

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

not everyone goes to christmas parties and not everyone has a family gathering like you see on those cheesy holiday movies

some people just don't have anything better to do and so those are the ones who will notice the strange schedule

I am one of these people haha I am usually alone on the holidays watching TV by my lonesome. 

Excited about FLCL but getting sick of Primal. Oh well, not going to complain, it is just the holiday schedule..

4 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

I am one of these people haha I am usually alone on the holidays watching TV by my lonesome. 

Excited about FLCL but getting sick of Primal. Oh well, not going to complain, it is just the holiday schedule..

I'm disappointed it wasn't a one piece marathon(seriously that series has only had one marathon and it was a crappy post ennies lobby marathon with goofing around episodes)

regardless I've had to accept that crunchyroll will be where i mainly watch anime.....because holidays don't dictate what i can and can't watch(Been watching MHA S6 and i couldn't imagine  pausing for three weeks after the first three episodes)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

I'm disappointed it wasn't a one piece marathon(seriously that series has only had one marathon and it was a crappy post ennies lobby marathon with goofing around episodes)

regardless I've had to accept that crunchyroll will be where i mainly watch anime.....because holidays don't dictate what i can and can't watch(Been watching MHA S6 and i couldn't imagine  pausing for three weeks after the first three episodes)

Yea, there are several things that I have been meaning to watch so Xmas Eve I will probably skip the Primal marathon and watch something else. It is usually what I do on the weekends outside of the Block. 

Need to catch up on Bleach TYBW and Golden Kamuy haha

Definitely tuning in for the FLCL marathon though, I have not watch it in a few years. 

Edited by atomicinumatt
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Not having Toonami air at all on certain weeks would be an interesting idea, but I'm not a fan of it. Because when you can have a few hours of an action show you produced/own in perpetuity air for free, what's the point of putting on comedy instead? Unless they're getting so frugal they don't even want Steve and Dana to come in to record lines for the special intro and make new bumps to air afterward.

At this point, whoever's running this block seemingly can't announce a single schedule change/special lineup without something going awry and bringing out the pessimism in this fandom. It's comical, though I hope it ends soon.

39 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Not having Toonami air at all on certain weeks would be an interesting idea, but I'm not a fan of it. Because when you can have a few hours of an action show you produced/own in perpetuity air for free, what's the point of putting on comedy instead? Unless they're getting so frugal they don't even want Steve and Dana to come in to record lines for the special intro and make new bumps to air afterward.

At this point, whoever's running this block seemingly can't announce a single schedule change/special lineup without something going awry and bringing out the pessimism in this fandom. It's comical, though I hope it ends soon.

Jason Demarco said Gill Austin And His Crew are the ones running the block currently

he also implied they were short staffed so things were operating a lot slower than usual

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

I don’t think it’s a good idea to start normalizing Saturday nights with no Toonami at all. If it’s a Blum/Dana budget thing, just give us a silent night. Maybe this would even be the long needed kick in the pants to not waste everyone’s time with frivolous marathons on minor/not near Saturday holidays. Christmas and New Years? Absolutely. But it might be time to shelve all the others permanently. 

I do wonder though, we haven’t seen recent marathon numbers, but we know marathon nights are usually nothing short of abysmal in performance. I can certainly see the angle from the new bosses of wanting some level of performance maintained on those nights.

And I dunno, I feel like the MHA S6 news was pretty well regarded positively by most of the community. Even seen some of the types that are usually irked by predictable shonen pickups happy, purely because of it being a positive step towards Crunchyroll possibly becoming more willing to work with the block. 

I feel like the fandom appears to be generally negative in recent years because of how many negative changes the block has seen in that time. After January, Toonami had quite a bit more L’s than W’s in 2022. So that’s conditioned people to expect the worst. Hopefully the February shuffle can continue on the positive wave started by MHA

I would not have been annoyed if they didn’t air Toonami on Christmas Eve but I suppose the audience is so volatile that doing that even once will make some people think Toonami got canceled again.

Turns out as Nirvash suspected they will be reairing The Fire Place from 2am-4am. They certainly could have given up the encores of Futurama instead of cutting Toonami short but looking at that night, 2 hours of Primal sticks out like a sore thumb and 3 hours would even more so. Everything else that night is holiday themed. Toonami feels really out of place but there isn’t much else they could have done. While airing Tokyo God Fathers or I dunno Batman: Sub Zero would have been a treat, it would be a waste to only air them on a night when viewership is sure to be low.

A block with holiday themed episodes they have on hand would have been cost effective but I don’t think they have enough of those to fill even 2 hours much less 3.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jman said:

That probably isn’t airing at midnight.

That post said nothing about midnight   it simply implied that christmas is always a dead day on television and i was just stating that nickelodeon at the very least doesn't think so because they are deciding to air new content on christmas instead of just airing something like despicable me all day long

55 minutes ago, Jman said:

Apparently scheduled around the NFL.

Which is guaranteed ratings.

it's scheduled around the worst game that day though....don't even pretend like it won't be a joyless experience

Two Shitty teams brawling doesn't make for good entertainment

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Is that official from [as]?

If it’s up on TVPassport and Zap2it, that means AS submitted the schedule. If they had new plans for 2:30, the entire Toonami timeslot would be blank. 

Now, that doesn’t mean anything is set in stone. AS can, and has often, changed a schedule after submitting it to third party schedule services. It’s extremely rare to see it happen with Toonami though, as they are normally treating any schedule shuffle as top secret classified information by blanking the entire schedule. 

What may have happened was the idea to burn off Primal/squeeze in Yule Log came very late. This is further supported by Demarco’s speculative tweets about possibly landing a movie for the holidays. So the plan changed and it was too deep into the holiday season to get it changed on these schedules. 

Another possibility to consider, a lot of people see ending Primal and blowing through FLCL 1 as a means to get a Progressive/Alternative run on the schedule. However, we shouldn’t discount the possibility that there is some kind of legal roadblock preventing these seasons from airing on TV again based on the fact they have never been seen again since 2018. Maybe that was the plan, and they couldn’t figure it out so are falling back on Primal till they find some alternative programming. 

I There should not be a legal roadblock to airing FLCL 2/3, those weren’t CR co-pros, CR only has the rights to stream the Japanese version and the dubs are still on the AS app and website.

As for why they haven’t reran them since 2018… They probably realize they’re not gonna do great and overplaying them would only make them do worse. But now that there will be more, it’s finally time to reair them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

I There should not be a legal roadblock to airing FLCL 2/3, those weren’t CR co-pros, CR only has the rights to stream the Japanese version and the dubs are still on the AS app and website.

As for why they haven’t reran them since 2018… They probably realize they’re not gonna do great and overplaying them would only make them do worse. But now that there will be more, it’s finally time to reair them.

You would think that, but they didn’t hesitate for a moment to get a rerun in for Jack, Fena, Black Lotus or Shenmue. The only reason HCC didn’t get one is because it’s so short they were able to squish it into a marathon night. FLCL is the only one to have immediately gone into the vault. The fact that they didn’t even roll them out in 2020, or tried running them in lieu of the 18th Black Lotus partial marathon last year, implies to me there is something with them that stops them from airing on cable. They can stream them no trouble, it’s the cable run that is the issue. 

• Confused 1
  • D'oh 1

22 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

You would think that, but they didn’t hesitate for a moment to get a rerun in for Jack, Fena, Black Lotus or Shenmue. The only reason HCC didn’t get one is because it’s so short they were able to squish it into a marathon night. FLCL is the only one to have immediately gone into the vault. The fact that they didn’t even roll them out in 2020, or tried running them in lieu of the 18th Black Lotus partial marathon last year, implies to me there is something with them that stops them from airing on cable. They can stream them no trouble, it’s the cable run that is the issue. 

They did immediately rerun both Prog and Alt they just didn’t run them again after.

I’m not saying there’s no possibility of a hang up but I feel you are pulling this theory out of nowhere. It’s not like they reran the beloved original FLCL since 2018 either.

They probably will rerun both Prog and Alt this year before Grunge and Shoegaze show up.

And that schedule is likely exactly what will air on January 7th because they will be more than content to keep Primal on for two more weeks and avoid a schedule shakeup the first week back from the holidays. Even if the marathon makes it redundant. Remember when the Shenmue marathon didn’t do anything to accelerate the removal of Shenmue’s second full run?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

They did immediately rerun both Prog and Alt they just didn’t run them again after.

I’m not saying there’s no possibility of a hang up but I feel you are pulling this theory out of nowhere. It’s not like they reran the beloved original FLCL since 2018 either.

They probably will rerun both Prog and Alt this year before Grunge and Shoegaze show up.

And that schedule is likely exactly what will air on January 7th because they will be more than content to keep Primal on for two more weeks and avoid a schedule shakeup the first week back from the holidays. Even if the marathon makes it redundant. Remember when the Shenmue marathon didn’t do anything to accelerate the removal of Shenmue’s second full run?

If Prog and Alt end up in the rerun slot, either in 2 weeks or 4 weeks, I’m not going to be shocked at all. 

The theory is hardly out of nowhere. Their long term disappearance, especially when we have had multiple times where content was sparse, casts doubt on their availability to air them. Yes, the original hasn’t come out in some time either, but unlike Prog and Alt, the original has rerun on ASA/Toonami more times than I can count. They have long since got their money’s worth out of that license. Not so much the ones they forked out who knows how much to have created. 

A year ago I might have argued that they actually felt some shame for dragging a beloved title through the mud then taking a wet shit on it, and quietly sealed that mistake away never to be seen again. But we have two more seasons incoming, so we know they learned absolutely nothing and that can’t be the reason. 

• D'oh 2

On 1/5/2023 at 12:53 PM, Sketch said:

And come Friday they don’t bother to post a schedule update. 🤣

I didn’t doubt you would end up being right, but I’m still disappointed. 

But ok fine, if Demarco wants us to raise our expectations, let’s do a little bit of that. A rerun has no reason to not be announced on time, so let’s theorize what new show they have planned. Something I was kicking around earlier today, by next Saturday, that will be close to the 1 year anniversary of them picking up One Piece again. Perhaps they needed to wait for a full year to pass before renewing a new batch of OP episodes, and we will soon see the return of it airing 2 episodes a night. Nobody will miss Naruto down at 2:30 as it’s starting a 23 week stretch of filler here soon. 

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Raise our expectations? So much for that. Primal season 2 restarts.

That’s getting next level mundane. Two runs and a marathon was plenty for now.

I suppose it could be a placeholder but I get the feeling it isn’t.

These days, once it’s “schedule official” that’s usually set in stone. It could be pulled early of course, but for what? I really hope their intent here isn’t to keep a slot perpetually “open” for AoT. Or, on the topic of an “open” slot, Made in Abyss does have another hour long finale episode in February. 

My theory about Progressive and Alternative being unable to air on cable only continues to grow in likelihood. 

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

As long as we actually get something to replace Abyss and Yashahime in February, I'm content with this disappointing rerun nonsexy hour news update.

See, if I could have faith we won’t be repeating this exact same process next month, I wouldn’t sweat what is happening with 2:30. But this is likely the easiest schedule change of 2023, and they are already blowing it. Two brand new premiers on the same night? One of which will not be AoT? I’d sooner believe I’m tonights lotto winner. 

9 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Two brand new premiers on the same night? One of which will not be AoT? I’d sooner believe I’m tonights lotto winner. 

Well, the season finale of Made in Abyss is an hour long, like last season finale, so I wouldn't expect a double-premiere anyways since Yashahime's finale would likely be staggered as a result.

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Well, the season finale of Made in Abyss is an hour long, like last season finale, so I wouldn't expect a double-premiere anyways since Yashahime's finale would likely be staggered as a result.

They might still finish both the same night and bump Primal or One Piece off that week but it’s just as likely they’ll break between YashaHime’s final 2 episodes to stagger the premieres by a week. It would seem kinda stupid to do that though when they can easily bump Primal or expand for one night.

I kinda hope they start Toonami at 11:30 the week Made In Abyss and YashaHime end. MHA at 11:30 makes sense.

Then the next week, they can leave MHA at 11:30 while once again doubling up One Piece and/or Shippuden if they just get 1 or 2 timeslots filled instead of 3.

And finally, on April 1st, air something else (like a sneak peek) at 11:30 instead of MHA.

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

They might still finish both the same night and bump Primal or One Piece off that week but it’s just as likely they’ll break between YashaHime’s final 2 episodes to stagger the premieres by a week. It would seem kinda stupid to do that though when they can easily bump Primal or expand for one night.

They have a phobia of starting two new shows the same night for some reason. I can see them either staggering them, or if they do boot Primal for the night so both end the same night, we will only get one new show and the other slot will go to another rerun. 

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I kinda hope they start Toonami at 11:30 the week Made In Abyss and YashaHime end. MHA at 11:30 makes sense.

Then the next week, they can leave MHA at 11:30 while once again doubling up One Piece and/or Shippuden if they just get 1 or 2 timeslots filled instead of 3.

And finally, on April 1st, air something else (like a sneak peek) at 11:30 instead of MHA.

AS has really cut corners on April Fools the past few years. Yule Log felt more like an April Fools style premier IMO. I’m expecting another 2 hour half assed event this year as well. They are likely satisfied with Toonami being at midnight at that means there is zero pressure to think up something for TOM to do.