UnevenEdge

Primal marathon announced for Christmas weekend and a FLCL marathon announced for New Year’s Eve weekend

AnimationFan14

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

They might still finish both the same night and bump Primal or One Piece off that week but it’s just as likely they’ll break between YashaHime’s final 2 episodes to stagger the premieres by a week. It would seem kinda stupid to do that though when they can easily bump Primal or expand for one night.

Sketch, it might be a different rerun at 2:30 by then, not necessarily PRIMAL.

3 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

They have a phobia of starting two new shows the same night for some reason. I can see them either staggering them, or if they do boot Primal for the night so both end the same night, we will only get one new show and the other slot will go to another rerun. 

AS has really cut corners on April Fools the past few years. Yule Log felt more like an April Fools style premier IMO. I’m expecting another 2 hour half assed event this year as well. They are likely satisfied with Toonami being at midnight at that means there is zero pressure to think up something for TOM to do. 

A phobia of double premieres? I dunno about that. They‘ve done it several times, twice in 2019. I’m only counting 2 network premieres here.

January 2014 Space Dandy and Shippuden

January 2017 DBS and Gundam Unicorn (and DBZ KFC if you count it)

August 2018 AoT S3 and JoJo’s DIU

June 2019 Food Wars and Gundam The Origin

November 2020 Fire Force S2 and Gemusetto Death Beats

They haven’t done it since but it’s been rare when they could have besides January of 2022 but they opted to stagger those premieres to build out the lineup from scratch.

It looks like for all intents they wanted to start MHA S6 the same night as Made in Abyss season 2 but couldn’t work out the deal that soon. So IMO they’re just as likely to start two shows the same week as they are to stagger them by a week.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It’s Primal unless they pull it mid run or they abruptly change the already submitted schedule. If it’s anything else then expanding to 3:30 one week seems like what they’ll do. I’d be all for expanding to 11:30 but that’s probably not in the cards just yet.

51 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Unless they are making the change very soon, it’s still gonna be Primal. It’s looping on the 22nd, MiA needs two slots on the 11th. That’s only 3 weeks into the re-rerun

33 minutes ago, Sketch said:

A phobia of double premieres? I dunno about that. They‘ve done it several times, twice in 2019. I’m only counting 2 network premieres here.

January 2014 Space Dandy and Shippuden

January 2017 DBS and Gundam Unicorn (and DBZ KFC if you count it)

August 2018 AoT S3 and JoJo’s DIU

June 2019 Food Wars and Gundam The Origin

November 2020 Fire Force S2 and Gemusetto Death Beats

They haven’t done it since but it’s been rare when they could have besides January of 2022 but they opted to stagger those premieres to build out the lineup from scratch.

It looks like for all intents they wanted to start MHA S6 the same night as Made in Abyss season 2 but couldn’t work out the deal that soon. So IMO they’re just as likely to start two shows the same week as they are to stagger them by a week.

Now list the many times they could have done 2x premiers but threw a wrench into it. There were examples in 20 and 21.

Two of those are turn of the New Years examples, and Gemushitto wasnt an acquisition. So that’s two times where it happened naturally. Even one of those is hard to count, as AoT was a mandatory airing. 

Id like to have faith that they have two shows lined up for February but it’s hard to with their track record the past few years. We are in a situation where there are no possible upcoming sequels they could slot into those slots either, so that means either shopping around for two brand new to Toonami titles, or going backwards to 1-2 sequels they have since passed over. It’s a new year, so they should have an untouched budget to secure some shows with, but who knows how the 2023 budget meeting went for the block. 

44 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It’s Primal unless they pull it mid run or they abruptly change the already submitted schedule. If it’s anything else then expanding to 3:30 one week seems like what they’ll do. I’d be all for expanding to 11:30 but that’s probably not in the cards just yet.

They've already announced the schedule for 2 weeks from now on January 21st? If so, that's news to me. Remember, we don't start over tonight--it's the Colosseus Part 3, which means this run ends next week.

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

They've already announced the schedule for 2 weeks from now on January 21st? If so, that's news to me. Remember, we don't start over tonight--it's the Colosseus Part 3, which means this run ends next week.

It’s already visible on most guides. It’s extremely unlikely they will bother with an official announcement to what is essentially no change. 

On 1/7/2023 at 7:50 PM, Sketch said:

I'm sorry--when I replied I hadn't seen THIS yet, so I beg your pardon:

That said, my on-screen guide won't go that far into the future until tomorrow!

On 1/7/2023 at 6:28 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Unless they are making the change very soon, it’s still gonna be Primal. It’s looping on the 22nd, MiA needs two slots on the 11th. That’s only 3 weeks into the re-rerun

Now list the many times they could have done 2x premiers but threw a wrench into it. There were examples in 20 and 21.

Two of those are turn of the New Years examples, and Gemushitto wasnt an acquisition. So that’s two times where it happened naturally. Even one of those is hard to count, as AoT was a mandatory airing. 

Id like to have faith that they have two shows lined up for February but it’s hard to with their track record the past few years. We are in a situation where there are no possible upcoming sequels they could slot into those slots either, so that means either shopping around for two brand new to Toonami titles, or going backwards to 1-2 sequels they have since passed over. It’s a new year, so they should have an untouched budget to secure some shows with, but who knows how the 2023 budget meeting went for the block. 

You can list them if you want, I already looked up enough old schedules for this.

Either way it’s pretty much just as likely that they’ll finish MiA and YashaHime the same night as it is that they won’t. But for instance, they could hold back YashaHime’s finale and have its last episode air the same night they start Urusei Yatsura for a Rumiko power hour.

There a no “new seasons” of prior Toonami shows besides Bleach and things in the CR backlog but there is a Gundam series and a Lupin series (even if it’s 6 episodes). And in all likelihood, FLCL Grunge will be ready by February since they seem to be recording the dub now (based on Maki’s tweets). I trust they will start two block premieres in February whether it’s the same week or staggered. Might be best for promoting purposes to stagger them but their track record with promoting new shows before they start has been pretty shite in recent years.

After February though… There might not be another big change to the lineup until MHA season 6 ends and Titan returns.