UnevenEdge

Lineups for 10/22 & 10/29 announced

Well, if you were hoping for the Made In Abyss movie or 2nd season in October, it seems that ain't gonna happen:

FB_IMG_1665159191027.jpg

FB_IMG_1665159195307.jpg

Interesting decision bringing back The Promised Neverland to finish off the Saturday night before Halloween. No word yet which episodes will air...

Edited by OwlChemist81

Promised Neverland and Housing Complex C mini marathons for Halloween? I will take it!

Plus the hour long Made in Abyss Season 1 Finale to close out the block the weekend before on the 22nd. PN (Season 1 at least..) and MiA are some of my favorite shows, so I am pretty excited for these couple of blocks, especially since it is almost Halloween!

Kinda has me wondering if Toonami will bring PN back to the block and will start with the first four episodes of S1? I would be really happy if that were the case but I will not get my hopes up. We will see I guess, but I will certainly take whatever we can get!

• Like 1

Sigh, so it’s going to be just like last year where we get a new schedule almost weekly, not for new shows, but to show us how they will stall that week. I should have known the MiA movie or S2 was setting expectations too high 

If we anticipate Thanksgiving, Christmas and  New Years marathons as they usually do, we only have 6-7 normal Toonami nights left after Halloween anyway. They won’t start anything new with that small window 

• Like 1

I mean if they were going to run that Made in Abyss movie they should probably do it on a weekend that isn't right before Halloween and actually they could do it the first Saturday of November and make use the extra hour.

They somehow still have Neverland but if that's season 2 then for the love of all things decent let it only be the first 4 episodes and then we NEVER see that show again. I shudder at the thought of them filling the 3am hour with reruns of season 2.

Big questions regarding the line-up in November with 2-3 potential openings for new content or more reruns. They didn't use October 22nd for a DC night promoting Black Adam and I'm a little bit surprised by that. They might do another movie night before the end of the year but probably not to promote anything in particular.

It could go like last year or there might be some gas left in the tank. It's still too early to tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

For October 29th? Yeah, no. Overall? If they haven't gotten season 2 yet, I still have hope, especially with Demarco himself expressing interest in airing the movie on the block (from what my four-drink brain recalls).

Did you do some day drinking today or were you four drinks deep when DeMarco originally said that?

So yeah, disappointing we get no Dawn of the Deep Soul before Halloween, but I was bullish on that idea. The Promised Neverland coming back is a wild swing, but given that they're down three originals due to the recent write-offs, it makes sense. The [as] website only has Season 2, so they'll probably start with the first four. I can totally see this being a prelude to a full rerun in November.

As far as new stuff is concerned, I'm thinking it's Bleach: TYBW or bust. I can't see them putting on anything else outside of a possible Sentai catalogue pick, whether they'd have the money for it or not. And I don't think we're getting any movies unless they're DC, because that would take a good chunk out of the budget (which ties into a long-standing theory I have that Toonami only aired Children Who Chase Lost Voices because Sentai offered it for a really really good price, maybe even free).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blatch said:

Did you do some day drinking today or were you four drinks deep when DeMarco originally said that?

Day drinking. Took the day off of work to go on a half-day trip across the state line with my parents in early celebration of my birthday. I had a 16 oz. hard cider, a six-drink flight of different wines, and two glasses from a bottle of wine we split. Not enough to get really drunk, but more than plenty to loosen me up and admit to such vices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

So, stalling for time and then marathons for Halloween?  I hope we have something better to look forward to after Halloween.

it's too bad show announcements aren't made in advance anymore and it seems like it's down to the wire these days on "will they get something finalized in time or will they have to stall?"

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

If the only new thing we have for the last two months of the year is YashaHime, that would be galling. Even last year had Blade Runner: Black Lotus in addition to other premieres. Though it's not like I could blame the staff for this, and I would try not to anyway. And it's not like I'd watch the new Bleach series if Toonami shows it... or would I? 😳

6 hours ago, Blatch said:

If the only new thing we have for the last two months of the year is YashaHime, that would be galling. Even last year had Blade Runner: Black Lotus in addition to other premieres. Though it's not like I could blame the staff for this, and I would try not to anyway. And it's not like I'd watch the new Bleach series if Toonami shows it... or would I? 😳

Honest question, why won’t you hold them accountable? Demarco dispelled the rumor that Sentai wasn’t in their corner anymore, so that means they had that pool as well as anything but Bleach to look at from Viz. Last year, they made a commitment to securing varied content to prevent situations like we saw this summer and right now where we have droughts of content. So if a few weeks from now we get the November schedule and there aren’t any new shows on it, the only one to blame is going to be the staff. 

The singular possible reason that would be out of their hands would be if Discovery isn’t letting them spend money. But there are holes in that argument right out of the gate.

1. We did get Yashahime. There certainly is a possibility that deal was deep in the works prior to Discovery taking control, but that’s a stretch. 
2. We have been reassured multiple times by Demarco and other general statements by WBD that Toonami is something they value for their future. If that’s true, there should be money to spend. If there isn’t money to spend, we have been getting the old Zaslav runaround and the block isn’t long for this world regardless of what anyone says or does.  

• Thanks 3

Yeah, okay. Now I have no idea why I said that. In a way, I have been holding the staff accountable for years, literal years now. (Crazy to think that we can now use this timeframe in regards to the modern version of Toonami!) I just haven't been too vocal about it.

For years, the staff has shown an unwillingness to dive into the back catalogues of the companies they work with. I know I've been ragging on them to get lesser-known titles from Sentai, but even when Funi hadn't been bought out by Sony and their oldies were still available, rarely did they ever take from that well. They've also done about as well when it comes to simuldubs and other bleeding-edge shows. All the way back in 2016 I was really hoping they'd get Re:Zero, which turned out to be a big fat one. And then they didn't get any other isekai shows as the genre was increasing in popularity, instead opting to stick with SAO (which isn't really an isekai, but you understand this shtick). So when people are saying this block could get something like Call of the Night, I tend to roll my eyes at it. I think them getting Made in Abyss was a minor miracle, which is a reason why I haven't been too optimistic about Season 2 coming to the block. Then there was the whole matter of them saying they were going to get "non-action shows", which resulted in exactly two pick-ups: Food Wars! and Pop Team Epic, and the latter wasn't even their call; Kim Manning really wanted them to air it, back when she was calling the shots for CN or whatever. Now I assume that was the staff talking out of their ass to explain the pool of possible content decreasing.

So that's not a good track record in recent history. But here's the thing: despite those issues being prevalent, Toonami has usually futzed their way into success. In other words, they've still put out interesting schedules featuring shows I want to watch. Among other shows, MiA was a godsend, Gridman was cool, I've finally come around on Lupin after not finishing the previous two series, and all of the recent co-productions were (or are, in HCC's seeming case) at least watchable. Now it looks like, outside of the co-pros, we might not even get that. And there's no one to blame other than whoever's programming things. I have no idea how much sway DeMarco has nowadays, but I bet his fingerprints, which preclude a lack of risk-taking (granted, right now it's primarily apathy toward Sentai), continue to dot what gets put on the block. And if so, I think that's unfortunate. If there were ever a time for some fresh talent to start running the show, it's now, because now is the time when making Toonami an attractive block actually counts. Besides, are we counting on more co-pros that will probably be no better than decent to save the block? Especially not when two of them are more FLCL sequels. 🥴

And as for YashaHime, it could be in the contract they signed that they get dibs on future seasons once Viz has them ready. Maybe WBD can veto that, but if that's the case, they didn't do it for S2.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Yeah, okay. Now I have no idea why I said that. In a way, I have been holding the staff accountable for years, literal years now. (Crazy to think that we can now use this timeframe in regards to the modern version of Toonami!) I just haven't been too vocal about it.

For years, the staff has shown an unwillingness to dive into the back catalogues of the companies they work with. I know I've been ragging on them to get lesser-known titles from Sentai, but even when Funi hadn't been bought out by Sony and their oldies were still available, rarely did they ever take from that well. They've also done about as well when it comes to simuldubs and other bleeding-edge shows. All the way back in 2016 I was really hoping they'd get Re:Zero, which turned out to be a big fat one. And then they didn't get any other isekai shows as the genre was increasing in popularity, instead opting to stick with SAO (which isn't really an isekai, but you understand this shtick). So when people are saying this block could get something like Call of the Night, I tend to roll my eyes at it. I think them getting Made in Abyss was a minor miracle, which is a reason why I haven't been too optimistic about Season 2 coming to the block. Then there was the whole matter of them saying they were going to get "non-action shows", which resulted in exactly two pick-ups: Food Wars! and Pop Team Epic, and the latter wasn't even their call; Kim Manning really wanted them to air it, back when she was calling the shots for CN or whatever. Now I assume that was the staff talking out of their ass to explain the pool of possible content decreasing.

So that's not a good track record in recent history. But here's the thing: despite those issues being prevalent, Toonami has usually futzed their way into success. In other words, they've still put out interesting schedules featuring shows I want to watch. Among other shows, MiA was a godsend, Gridman was cool, I've finally come around on Lupin after not finishing the previous two series, and all of the recent co-productions were (or are, in HCC's seeming case) at least watchable. Now it looks like, outside of the co-pros, we might not even get that. And there's no one to blame other than whoever's programming things. I have no idea how much sway DeMarco has nowadays, but I bet his fingerprints, which preclude a lack of risk-taking (granted, right now it's primarily apathy toward Sentai), continue to dot what gets put on the block. And if so, I think that's unfortunate. If there were ever a time for some fresh talent to start running the show, it's now, because now is the time when making Toonami an attractive block actually counts. Besides, are we counting on more co-pros that will probably be no better than decent to save the block? Especially not when two of them are more FLCL sequels. 🥴

And as for YashaHime, it could be in the contract they signed that they get dibs on future seasons once Viz has them ready. Maybe WBD can veto that, but if that's the case, they didn't do it for S2.

if they don't have anything coming they should just say so instead of making us wait until the last minute to give us a schedule that changes nothing...

What an awfully pessimistic viewpoint for you to take, Blatch.

Regarding Sentai's non-presence on the block, I was under the impression it was less Demarco being apathetic towards Sentai's eagerness to put as many shows as they could on the block, and more Sentai failing to promptly respond to Demarco's requests for talks regarding show acquisitions.

13 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

if they don't have anything coming they should just say so instead of making us wait until the last minute to give us a schedule that changes nothing...

Honestly if they came out and just said there’s nothing for the rest of the year, I’d be fine with that. I’d be disappointed, sure, but it’s much better to just be told now rather than being strung along for the next few months.

9 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Regarding Sentai's non-presence on the block, I was under the impression it was less Demarco being apathetic towards Sentai's eagerness to put as many shows as they could on the block, and more Sentai failing to promptly respond to Demarco's requests for talks regarding show acquisitions.

Demarco claims that Sentai wouldn’t respond to him, yet for quite a few years Sentai was telling its fans on social media to pester Demarco and Adult Swim to pick up some of their shows. I feel like Demarco wasn’t putting in any effort because Sentai didn’t have any shonen. And isn’t it just fascinating how in 2019 when they needed an emergency pickup, that just so happened to be the time they were able to get Sentai to pick up for Food Wars?

Man there will never be a time when Toonami will publicly announce they have nothing coming. What TV network does that? What streaming service does that unless they are admitting to cancelling a show? Why would any of you think they'd ever do that. And beyond that the nature of these deals makes it so things can and have changed in the months leading up to when a show was supposed to air and believe it or not they probably are constantly trying to avoid "having nothing" with whatever budget they have to work with.

I know some of you guys don't like when DeMarco gives false hope but do you really want him to go on Twitter and say "hey guys don't expect anything to start in November or December" that's probably only going to fuel the "WBD is just about ready to kill Toonami" fire. If nothing's coming I don't think he needs to spoon feed us that info. We can brace ourselves for NOTHING on our own and be pleasantly surprise if its something.

It's actually kind of curious why they don't just go easier on themselves and simply shorten the block. They have done so plenty of times prior. If they have absolutely no budget to acquire anything then it's as simple as dropping an hour or even two but they don't do it. They seem bound and determined to fill 12-3am with block premieres one way or another but if they were not allowed to air Primal this year you gotta wonder what they would have done instead.

I know it's wishful thinking at this point that they got Bleach or MHA much less both but it would explain why they couldn't start a show on October 22nd. And if they couldn't get Bleach or My Hero Academia, chances are they still tried and because of that will have to come up with something sorta last minute. But if they did get Bleach or MHA or even both, that would certainly account for a sizable amount of their budget and we can debate amongst ourselves whether or not getting one or both of them was worth having more of a dry spell this year. Bleach in particular would make for a lot of content for next year.

And if whatever is coming feasibly could have started on October 22nd instead of November 5th... They still might as well stall till November and stretch out whatever content they have coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Man there will never be a time when Toonami will publicly announce they have nothing coming. What TV network does that? What streaming service does that unless they are admitting to cancelling a show? Why would any of you think they'd ever do that. And beyond that the nature of these deals makes it so things can and have changed in the months leading up to when a show was supposed to air and believe it or not they probably are constantly trying to avoid "having nothing" with whatever budget they have to work with.

I know some of you guys don't like when DeMarco gives false hope but do you really want him to go on Twitter and say "hey guys don't expect anything to start in November or December" that's probably only going to fuel the "WBD is just about ready to kill Toonami" fire. If nothing's coming I don't think he needs to spoon feed us that info. We can brace ourselves for NOTHING on our own and be pleasantly surprise if its something.

It's actually kind of curious why they don't just go easier on themselves and simply shorten the block. They have done so plenty of times prior. If they have absolutely no budget to acquire anything then it's as simple as dropping an hour or even two but they don't do it. They seem bound and determined to fill 12-3am with block premieres one way or another but if they were not allowed to air Primal this year you gotta wonder what they would have done instead.

I know it's wishful thinking at this point that they got Bleach or MHA much less both but it would explain why they couldn't start a show on October 22nd. And if they couldn't get Bleach or My Hero Academia, chances are they still tried and because of that will have to come up with something sorta last minute. But if they did get Bleach or MHA or even both, that would certainly account for a sizable amount of their budget and we can debate amongst ourselves whether or not getting one or both of them was worth having more of a dry spell this year. Bleach in particular would make for a lot of content for next year.

And if whatever is coming feasibly could have started on October 22nd instead of November 5th... They still might as well stall till November and stretch out whatever content they have coming.

I know they would never do it, I just wish they would. Fans have been getting smarter, we already see people calling a repeat of last fall. Might they be wrong? Boy I sure hope so but I’m not optimistic. The point being, posting week to week stall schedules is the exact same thing as just telling us nothing is coming. We aren’t dumb, we can put the pieces together. Every stall schedule contributes to the Toonami is doomed fire. 

I will give them credit on one thing, unlike last year, they aren’t making us wait with bated breath till the very last second to reveal nothing. They fed us the rest of October pretty close to the start of the month, and to my point, knowing well ahead of time they have nothing takes a lot of the frustration out over them cutting it down to the wire which gives a false hope the are hammering something out. 

I do agree about block length. I would think at the very least, they would trim off the rerun hour. That doesn’t help with the acquisition issue, but it does mean 1 hour less of bumps to make which seems to be another trouble factor for them lately. And now with 3 of their originals gone for good, that really sliced into their potential rerun pool. And if down the road Toonami gets back to a healthier place, there’s no reason they can’t tack that hour back on. Right now though? They aren’t in a good place for it. And with both slots emptying out the same night and a schedule to reveal regardless, November would be the perfect time to trim up the schedule. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Pessimistic as I may be, I wouldn't say I'm dooming. At the end of the day, I think Toonami's going to stay the course. It's just a matter of whether or not it has stuff I want to watch. And if they manage to get something like Ushio & Tora for November, that's some good cookin', so I'll tune in.

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I do agree about block length. I would think at the very least, they would trim off the rerun hour. That doesn’t help with the acquisition issue, but it does mean 1 hour less of bumps to make which seems to be another trouble factor for them lately. And now with 3 of their originals gone for good, that really sliced into their potential rerun pool. And if down the road Toonami gets back to a healthier place, there’s no reason they can’t tack that hour back on. Right now though? They aren’t in a good place for it. And with both slots emptying out the same night and a schedule to reveal regardless, November would be the perfect time to trim up the schedule. 

Definitely agree with this, especially the bumps part. It'd be nice if they could go back to changing them every month rather than having one or two sets of bumps for each show's entire run. On the other hand, I do think there are some shows left in their rerun pool that could use some more love. They got HD tapes for Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex that they've only used once (or nonce, in S1E6's case), and the first batch of FLCL sequels haven't been rerun since right after their initial airings. Put one of those down there along with The Promised Neverland S2, which seems likely to take up a slot in November assuming they don't cut anything.

1 minute ago, Blatch said:

Pessimistic as I may be, I wouldn't say I'm dooming. At the end of the day, I think Toonami's going to stay the course. It's just a matter of whether or not it has stuff I want to watch. And if they manage to get something like Ushio & Tora for November, that's some good cookin', so I'll tune in.

Definitely agree with this, especially the bumps part. It'd be nice if they could go back to changing them every month rather than having one or two sets of bumps for each show's entire run. On the other hand, I do think there are some shows left in their rerun pool that could use some more love. They got HD tapes for Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex that they've only used once (or nonce, in S1E6's case), and the first batch of FLCL sequels haven't been rerun since right after their initial airings. Put one of those down there along with The Promised Neverland S2, which seems likely to take up a slot in November assuming they don't cut anything.

Eh, as long as it's still getting new stuff, gold or shit, I'm fine with whatever they're able to bring to the table.

S1E7. IDOLATER was the one they accidentally aired the SD version for, not MEME.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Blatch said:

'Salright man.  These days it seems to be pretty easy to be pessimistic about...well, damn near everything!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Eh, as long as it's still getting new stuff, gold or shit, I'm fine with whatever they're able to bring to the table.

S1E7. IDOLATER was the one they accidentally aired the SD version for, not MEME.

Hah, good call.

6 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

'Salright man.  These days it seems to be pretty easy to be pessimistic about...well, damn near everything!

Definitely. There have been some days where I wonder whether or not *ahem* everyone's going to make it, much less myself. Makes me wonder how Poke has been faring nowadays.

Edited by Blatch
Spacing issue.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

I actually thought the two sets of bumps idea was a good one. I think they first did that in response to Naruto having the YOU’RE A FATTY FATSO one for too damn long every single week. If they had a kinda obnoxious one you didn’t see it weekly at least. And these days, with how often they double up shows, having an extra set of bumps on deck saves them a lot of rushed efforts on weeks they do that. But if that system is making it so they can’t update the bumps at all, by all means go back to the old way. IMO we should have a refresh every 4 months minimum. That’s three times a year, I don’t think that’s asking for too much. 

It would also be nice if the people on bump writing duty actually watched the shows and didn’t fill the bumps with soon to be dated references or outright mistakes. In the current pool, here’s the ones I noticed. 

1. TOM and Sara talk about Setsuna being dead. Never should have been a bump as it was out of date after the first episode 

2. TOM pronounces Moroha and Setsuna incorrectly. This one is on Blum, not the bump writers

3. “Devil Fruit sure is tasty!” No TOM, it’s explicitly stated that they taste terrible

4. “Let’s board the Merry go round!” Come on Sara, that wasn’t even the name of the old ship, which they sent off in the episodes Toonami aired many years ago

5. TOM talks about all the treasures in London Lupin will steal even though we left London 12 weeks ago

Take me back to the days of the meme ones like Tomsaiga

Edited by Toonamiguy321

8 hours ago, Blatch said:

There have been some days where I wonder whether or not *ahem* everyone's going to make it, much less myself. Makes me wonder how Poke has been faring nowadays.

The thing to do is just ignore any and all news sites and get your world events updates from secondhand sources like the front page of Wikipedia, posts made to the Tumblr subreddits, and colleagues who do watch the news but know not to talk about it 24/7. My outlook on the world, even in this sub-era of history, has gotten much healthier as a result.

6 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

It would also be nice if the people on bump writing duty actually watched the shows and didn’t fill the bumps with soon to be dated references or outright mistakes. In the current pool, here’s the ones I noticed. 

1. TOM and Sara talk about Setsuna being dead. Never should have been a bump as it was out of date after the first episode 

2. TOM pronounces Moroha and Setsuna incorrectly. This one is on Blum, not the bump writers

3. “Devil Fruit sure is tasty!” No TOM, it’s explicitly stated that they taste terrible

4. “Let’s board the Merry go round!” Come on Sara, that wasn’t even the name of the old ship, which they sent off in the episodes Toonami aired many years ago

5. TOM talks about all the treasures in London Lupin will steal even though we left London 12 weeks ago

Take me back to the days of the meme ones like Tomsaiga

Damn, those ones are pretty bad. Guess I made the right call, making the move from watching the block televised to via [as]'s website.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I actually thought the two sets of bumps idea was a good one. I think they first did that in response to Naruto having the YOU’RE A FATTY FATSO one for too damn long every single week. If they had a kinda obnoxious one you didn’t see it weekly at least. And these days, with how often they double up shows, having an extra set of bumps on deck saves them a lot of rushed efforts on weeks they do that. But if that system is making it so they can’t update the bumps at all, by all means go back to the old way. IMO we should have a refresh every 4 months minimum. That’s three times a year, I don’t think that’s asking for too much.

Personally, even with two bump sets alternating, I still find them to get a little grating. Maybe that's just me. More than anything, I just want the bumps to be current with each show, and I don't think that's too much to ask. Made in Abyss gives you a good idea of how they manage this: it took until Episode 10, corresponding with a major spike in perilous content, for them to change the bumps from the initial arc, which wasn't very representative of the show, and they only did so because of a packaging change. It would've been really awkward for them to show clips of Reg and Riko being all lovey-dovey and fighting with each other, and then cut to a scene where Reg is nursing the critically-injured Riko along with Nanachi. Funny thing is, once the rerun started, they were perfectly okay with showing clips from the episodes in the fourth layer even though those are oblique spoilers for those who haven't seen it. Makes you wonder.

This has been a problem as far back as the first season of Food Wars! (so pre-pandemic), where they were still using clips from the first episode (before the MC goes to food school and the premise is fleshed out) during the second half of the season, though at least they gave us a taste (har-de-har) of the famed foodgasms. Funnily enough, I don't think the Lupin Part 6 bumps are that big of an issue, because I certainly wasn't expecting the second half of the show to abruptly shift from the Holmes plot. I mean, they introduced a character based off of Moriarty (maybe he grows up into Holmes's nemesis?) and it feels weird for them to not follow up on that. Maybe in Part 7?

15 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

The thing to do is just ignore any and all news sites and get your world events updates from secondhand sources like the front page of Wikipedia, posts made to the Tumblr subreddits, and colleagues who do watch the news but know not to talk about it 24/7. My outlook on the world, even in this sub-era of history, has gotten much healthier as a result.

Damn, those ones are pretty bad. Guess I made the right call, making the move from watching the block televised to via [as]'s website.

These days, my biggest nemesis is the "Explore" tab on Twitter, which occasionally raises my blood pressure with news of rising tensions. Good thing you use that website differently than most people. 🤠

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Personally, even with two bump sets alternating, I still find them to get a little grating. Maybe that's just me. More than anything, I just want the bumps to be current with each show, and I don't think that's too much to ask. Made in Abyss gives you a good idea of how they manage this: it took until Episode 10, corresponding with a major spike in perilous content, for them to change the bumps from the initial arc, which wasn't very representative of the show, and they only did so because of a packaging change. It would've been really awkward for them to show clips of Reg and Riko being all lovey-dovey and fighting with each other, and then cut to a scene where Reg is nursing the critically-injured Riko along with Nanachi. Funny thing is, once the rerun started, they were perfectly okay with showing clips from the episodes in the fourth layer even though those are oblique spoilers for those who haven't seen it. Makes you wonder.

This has been a problem as far back as the first season of Food Wars! (so pre-pandemic), where they were still using clips from the first episode (before the MC goes to food school and the premise is fleshed out) during the second half of the season, though at least they gave us a taste (har-de-har) of the famed foodgasms. Funnily enough, I don't think the Lupin Part 6 bumps are that big of an issue, because I certainly wasn't expecting the second half of the show to abruptly shift from the Holmes plot. I mean, they introduced a character based off of Moriarty (maybe he grows up into Holmes's nemesis?) and it feels weird for them to not follow up on that. Maybe in Part 7?

These days, my biggest nemesis is the "Explore" tab on Twitter, which occasionally raises my blood pressure with news of rising tensions. Good thing you use that website differently than most people. 🤠

I agree with you, I find the One Piece and Naruto bumps pretty grating. The song clip they use for OP is nails on a chalkboard at this point. But I think the reason we feel that way is the damn things haven’t changed since January. I don’t remember feeling that way about them in January.

I agree bumps should stay relevant to the current events in the show, but I caution with that mindset, the Naruto bumps are actually exactly at the point in the story we are because of all the damn filler. 

With how sparse pickups seem to be going forward, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for the good old days of refreshing the bumps with every new pickup. My 4 month suggestion above was with a mindset of the block shifting content much more often as we did pre 2020. Those days are done. I know we did get the total location/package reset in March, but Demarco was pretty clear that took a minor miracle to pull together and not to expect anything like that anytime soon going forward. And really, I have no issue with the setting or packaging, the stagnant bumps are my only complaint. 

As for scene selection, that’s always been a little hit and miss for me. For some reason, they are willing to look 20+ episodes ahead on Naruto when choosing scenes, but every other show it seems like they won’t venture outside of episode 1. That wouldn’t be a huge deal if we had periodic full block refreshes, but without them we end up with situations like now where we are about to air the last episode of Lupin while still running scenes from episode 0. Makes the bumps feel kinda pointless.

• Thanks 1

I agree with you, I find the One Piece and Naruto bumps pretty grating. The song clip they use for OP is nails on a chalkboard at this point. But I think the reason we feel that way is the damn things haven’t changed since January. I don’t remember feeling that way about them in January.

With how sparse pickups seem to be going forward, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for the good old days of refreshing the bumps with every new pickup. My 4 month suggestion above was with a mindset of the block shifting content much more often as we did pre 2020. Those days are done. I know we did get the total location/package reset in March, but Demarco was pretty clear that took a minor miracle to pull together and not to expect anything like that anytime soon going forward. And really, I have no issue with the setting or packaging, the stagnant bumps are my only complaint. 

As for scene selection, that’s always been a little hit and miss for me. For some reason, they are willing to look 20+ episodes ahead on Naruto when choosing scenes, but every other show it seems like they won’t venture outside of episode 1. That wouldn’t be a huge deal if we had periodic full block refreshes, but without them we end up with situations like now where we are about to air the last episode of Lupin while still running scenes from episode 0. Makes the bumps feel kinda pointless.

The only bump music I've found annoying is the first one they did for Made in Abyss, and that was more because I thought the track itself was unfitting. (BTW, I just combed over said set of bumps, and outside of that little circular display at the end they used in this packaging to show additional clips, they didn't even feature Reg! How weaksauce.)The second one they used was better, but then they started alternating them, which was weird because the music for Lupin and the like didn't change. Primal had this too, to the point where it used bumps from different seasons. I don't know why they didn't alternate between the two sets they made for the one-hour premiere, but on the plus side, they kept TOM explaining how Primal has won an Emmy right before the scene with all the screaming monkey men, which is pretty funny. It's the one bump I've seen that's like the best ones from the golden years, on [as] or otherwise.

It's also funny how they brought back the classic Absolution from 2000 clearly for nostalgia bait, and yet I haven't seen anyone talk about it. Granted, I'm probably not looking hard enough, since I haven't followed Toonami Faithful on Twitter for years. I think it's pretty cool and I didn't so much as sniff the block until '03 or so, with watching in earnest not coming until a decade later, but I sure wish they were doing more stuff with it. Even game reviews are hard to come by nowadays, though the lack of those is definitely more excusable than new bumps.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Blatch said:

It's also funny how they brought back the classic Absolution from 2000 clearly for nostalgia bait, and yet I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

I saw it quite a lot of discussion when the event was live and a few weeks after. There’s really only so much to talk about on the topic so it falling off and becoming the new normal isn’t too surprising. If they crew ever wants to get people talking about it again they can always introduce a new room or something. But with the tight budget, I don’t think we will ever venture outside of the elevator/hallway/main deck.

• Like 1