UnevenEdge

Power Hour In The Abyss: Made In Abyss 3 & 3:30 AM Toonami Discussion

23 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

You were saying it's more like what you expected Bladerunner: Black Lotus to be like before that came out, so I was wondering how.

Yeah, good question and it might be more of a personal thing, but I thought BL would explore more cutting edge cyberpunk topics and storylines.

Edgerunners for example really pushes the genre to its more extreme boundaries as far as the technological questions go. It's more cartoonish in a way too but it's much closer to how Gibson described places like the Sprawl in his novels. It's actually a lot like GiTS, but a psychedelic punk version.

Black Lotus otoh is much more restrained and existential.

Edited by saito34

21 minutes ago, saito34 said:

Yeah, good question and it might be more of a personal thing, but I thought BL would explore more cutting edge cyberpunk topics and storylines.

Edgerunners for example really pushes the genre to its more extreme boundaries as far as the technological questions go. It's more cartoonish in a way too but it's much closer to what Gibson envisioned. It's a lot like GiTS, but a psychedelic punk version tbh.

Black Lotus otoh is much more restrained and existential.

Thanks.

Yeah, sounds like I'd like that too like you said, I like that about GITS and Trigger's very vibrant art style in the trailer.
Was going to check it out for Imaishi too, knowing he directed, he's so good at making cool stuff.

Got it. Yeah, BL was, the tone I think kinda fit with the two movies.

Edited by DangerMouse

23 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Thanks.

Yeah, sounds like I'd like that too like you said, I like that about GITS and Trigger's very vibrant art style in the trailer.
Was going to check it out for Imaishi too, knowing he directed, he's so good at making cool stuff.

Got it. Yeah, BL was, the tone I think kinda fit with the two movies.

Yeah BL is definitely more in line w/ the films you're right. Edgerunners is more raw and in your face cyberpunk.

Im not too familiar with Imaishi but he's doing a fabulous job at directing. The episodes buzz along, but the storyline is well laid out and has some emotional beats too, so it's not all over the top all the time. What else has he done hat youre a fan of?

5 minutes ago, saito34 said:

Yeah BL is definitely more in line w/ the films you're right. Edgerunners is more raw and in your face cyberpunk.

Im not too familiar with Imaishi but he's doing a fabulous job at directing. The episodes buzz along, but the storyline is well laid out and has some emotional beats too, so it's not all over the top all the time. What else has he done hat youre a fan of?

Yeah, you'll recognize the names when you realize he was the director of some of these shows.

Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking, Promare are some of my favorites directed by him.

40 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, you'll recognize the names when you realize he was the director of some of these shows.

Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking, Promare are some of my favorites directed by him.

wow for sure. Even the art is obviously there too. I knew i'd seen the style before, but feel stupid for not realizing it was KLK and Gurren Lagann. Makes me want to revisit all his earlier stuff.

• Like 2