UnevenEdge

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners continues tradition of real songs opening anime

Jman

As someone that played through the game in the first week that it came out (PC), I thought it was a pretty good game. Not the second coming of Christ like many hyped it up to be, but I thought it was good.

It was insanely buggy when it came out. Even background items were acting like they were on crack, acting like they were having strokes. I remember one common bug was when I was riding bikes or cars and my character would randomly pop up doing the T-pose while driving.  Their dick would also frequently clip through their clothes. That said, in the entire time I played it then there was only one (probably counts as two?) major bug I recalled that forced me to reload. It being after V gets shot (anyone even care about spoilers? This is act 1 stuff in the game), and you're supposed to switch over to Johnny, during the one flashback session of the game. The beginning of that bugged out and didn't load the section right. Also at the end after Johnny's been captured and about to have his mind stolen or whatever, I think after that the game bugged out and I had to reload and replay the last few minutes. I ran into other bugs that got in the way, but I was able to work around them and not have to reload.

The game has come a very long way since release and I have replayed it a couple of times. It's miles ahead of where it was at launch. I know it received new content in a free update earlier this year. Some of the AI is still mentally retarded though, at least as far as peds in the city.

I thought the PS5 version was ok when I played the free trial.

I’d probably get it if it were dirt cheap, but I can’t justify paying more than $20 on it. 

I was surprised to find out Trigger wasn’t able to get out of this after the initial release was a clusterfuck. It’d be like if Balan Wonderworld wound up getting a Science Saru anime a few years after it tanked.

It’d be hilarious on a depressing level of the anime pulled an Arcane and did such a good job at capturing what the game should have been that it tricks people into buying a bad product. 

Edited by Chapinator_X

2 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

I thought the PS5 version was ok when I played the free trial.

I’d probably get it if it were dirt cheap, but I can’t justify paying more than $20 on it. 

I was surprised to find out Trigger wasn’t able to get out of this after the initial release was a clusterfuck. It’d be like if Balan Wonderworld wound up getting a Science Saru anime a few years after it tanked.

It’d be hilarious on a depressing level of the anime pulled an Arcane and did such a good job at capturing what the game should have been that it tricks people into buying a bad product. 

Making a full anime series has always been expensive, with a lot of time invested. I imagine they spent at least a year or 2 working on this, so too much time and money spent to just scrap it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Apparently Edgerunners is sitting pretty in the Netflix Top 10 with Cobra Kai and the like and is getting good reviews across the board.  Which ironically means it made a better first impression than the video game.

15AED4DD-0EED-4C41-9017-629B672F32A5.gif

Edited by Jman

On 9/25/2022 at 1:36 AM, MasqueradeOverture said:

Blew through it all in two sittings. This show is a masterpiece. Finest anime series of the 2020's.

It's also a legendary ad campaign -- I have to buy the game now. Is it patched up enough at this point and is there a PS5 port?

The PS5 port is out, but no physical copies so you’d have to get a PS4 copy for the upgrade.

Apparently, it’s playable now, or at least the 5 hours I played was pretty decent back when they offered a trial run as part of their apology tour. I’m planning on getting it used soon, but I refuse to pay more than $20 for Cyberpunk.