UnevenEdge

I used to laugh at iPod Shuffles. I used to think that listening to the whole album was the only correct musical experience.

-Ninja_Jesus-

Well if you think about it, it was always extremely common to listen to the radio in the car, so basically you're listening to the "radio" but it's only songs from your own personal collection.

This makes sense to do in a car because unless you're going on a long drive, chances are you are not going to be able to listen to a whole album uninterrupted anyway.

.....I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they listen to albums exclusively. 

Music is meant to be mixed and experienced at your discretion.

So I guess that includes playing an album from beginning to end.

But seriously, even 12 in hers had grooves so you could see where to skip songs. It's ok to be casual

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

Don't be pretending you didn't have exactly one AbbA, BeeGees, and Fleetwood Mac 8-track mixtape.

I still have the boom box to make said mixed tapes on. 

It's literally in my bedroom right now. :D I think there's a Squirrel Nut Zippers cassette in it too. 

1 minute ago, katt_goddess said:

I still have the boom box to make said mixed tapes on. 

It's literally in my bedroom right now. :D I think there's a Squirrel Nut Zippers cassette in it too. 

Cassette mixtapes were all kinds of a pain in the ass to make.  I still have this Sony stereo cassette recorder I use when I'm goofing around on the flugelhorn... that's as far as I go with mixtapes.

I kinda always listened on shuffle, but still never wanted to go for a Shuffle. You at least gotta have the option to choose, and sometimes you just wanna show off a particular song or something.

Bit disappointed ipods are officially discontinued now. I don't use apple for anything else, but have been kinda spoiled by itunes (the program, not the store), being able to modify start/stop times on songs, or tweak the volume for individual songs that might play just a little louder or softer than the rest..

5 hours ago, André Toulon said:

.....I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they listen to albums exclusively. 

Music is meant to be mixed and experienced at your discretion.

So I guess that includes playing an album from beginning to end.

But seriously, even 12 in hers had grooves so you could see where to skip songs. It's ok to be casual

My reasoning was/is that part of appreciating a song is understanding the context of the song’s placement on its album, and appreciate the hard work of the band that put the album together, and even discover songs I might like better than their hit singles. It worked for me every single time.

I used to sit and go through an album, give repeat listens to songs I particularly liked, read lyrics and try to decipher them if they were particularly dense or deep… but now I just don’t have the time to give that kind of commitment. I don’t even really listen to music anymore outside of having it in the background while doing something else. I haven’t touched an instrument in years, although I still do sing as much as I used to. I’m just upset at how much I’ve changed with the way I used to be intentional with music.

Edited by -Ninja_Jesus-