UnevenEdge

Shenmue: The Animation Episode 11 "Entangled" Discussion

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Nice job monopolizing the threads today, even though it feels weird not to have Jman do it. As for me, this'll probably be a great episode, but more than anything, I'm really hoping we get a goodie during the break.

Unfortunately I was indisposed this morning, going to a car show.  I’ll give my usual commentary in the morning.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It isn't fact that they're not gonna animate Shenmue 3. WE DON'T KNOW UNTIL WE KNOW. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL!

I'd be pleasantly shocked and surprised if there was a second season for this but I'm not gonna hold my breath on it

even if there was It'd be without toonami's involvement unless they backtrack on the statement about no more further projects with crunchyroll

which i can't see why they'd do that....either you are continuing to work with them on original projects or you aren't

pick a lane and stick to it

• D'oh 1

OK, after the auto show yesterday (a huge showcase for electric cars it seems this year, including a $2 million electric powered hypercar) I'm back for more Shenmue.

And already Xiuyin looks like she's in an anime adaptation of a Shaw Bros. film.  Where's my 36th Chamber of Shaolin anime?

"Run away!  Run away!"

Ryo finally realizes how big a failure he is.  Ouch.  

Yes Ryo, you stubborn ass, after realizing you're a failure, you still think you stand a chance against the woman who handed Dou Niu his ass.  And the elbow.  Yu Suzuki's kung fu style loved that pointed elbow strike (Akira uses the same blow in Virtua Fighter).  It's a contrast from Muay Thai where the elbows are used as slashing and clubbing weapons, not straight on.

You know it's funny, that the comparison in the anime is to Shaw Bros. and Golden Harvest Kung Fu movies, while at this point the game was essentially Rick Shaw's Takeout Theater (a bit from the old USA Night Flight block that was before my time where a comedian ragged on bad kung fu movies).

Time to raid the big bad guy headquarters!  Even if that does sound ridiculous on its head.  "Yeah, I'm going to go inside, fight 40 guys including the fatass who's handed me my ass twice now, and bail with the old man.  You make it sound like it's a really bad idea!"

Any particular reason his dad's memory are grainy film stock?  It's an interesting effect at least.

They are doing the underground fighting tournament side quest!

"You bet against me?!"  "Dude, I saw you getting your ass kicked constantly the last few days!  It seemed like a good idea!"

And now Joy's origin comes into place.

This couldn't say "TRAP" any louder if the door had a neon sign that said the word.

Cliffhanger!  And two episodes left to wrap up the plot of the second game.  Shame that it's pretty certain we're not getting a season 2 thanks to the buyout and the Crunchyroll Originals line being mothballed.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

I can't believe I forgot to count the random loli in the list I made of "women who appeared in the most Ho Yay Shenmue episode yet" last week, but I guess I didn't need to since it was Joy this entire time. 😅

I'm holding out hope a season 2 comes our way, even if it ends up being the anime fan's equivalent of the endless wait that eventually wasn't for Shenmue 3.

Edited by PokeNirvash