UnevenEdge

Looking back at this lineup is sad when you think about toonami now

CountFrylock

3 hours ago, Jman said:

Kind of surprised they haven't gotten Nomad, but given they're apparently on the outs with FUNimation, I'm accepting of that.

or sss dynazenon....when demarco said DS S2's issue was it's price tag  many people assumed that meant the funimation/toonami relationship was fine

however if that was the case then why did toonami bring back one piece?...that just locks down a time slot forever since that show's gonna outlive the toonami block

something you wouldn't need to consider unless they were worried the block wouldn't be able to consistently fill slots without it

48 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Ah yes, the dark days of when the block was almost wall-to-wall shonen. I don't miss it, even if I sometimes pine to return to our last normal year.

I'd prefer it to the mysterious unknown that is toonami now where a new funimation title that's not AOT Final Season Part 2 seems like a pipe dream at this point and desperation has kicked in to bring back one piece...doubled up

i don't want toonami to just revert back into the early days of the reboot where they were just picking up shows on the cheap because they had jackshit for a budget and options were limited

at that point...Toonami is just desperately trying to remain hip with the cool kids while hyping up content from 5-10 years ago like it's the bees knees

"Hello Fellow Young People Have You Heard about Dagashi Kashi? You Kids like snack foods right? well this one involves Japanese snack foods and suggestive scenes!...."

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

"Hello Fellow Young People Have You Heard about Dagashi Kashi? You Kids like snack foods right? well this one involves Japanese snack foods and suggestive scenes!...."

DAGASHI KASHI: COMING SOON IN THE FORM OF CONTENT RATING CLIPS

JK it's actually SK8 that's coming next.

Spoiler

And speaking of Dagashi Kashi...

sweet_tooth_by_jam_orbital_d9plxzq-fullv

I was thinking of this post last night, and real talk? Our current lineup is absolutely better as a whole (or at least it will be once Titan starts next week). I loves me some MHA and JoJo, Megalobox was great, and HxH is a fun ride, but the Super/Bort start to the night was just a wet fart, and SAO and Black Clover took years off my life between them. Look at what we have right now though: Blade Runner was eh but is gone now, the AoT hype train is coming, Shenmue is an unknown quantity but has potential, we finally got AssClass back and it's a blast, Made in Abyss is an all-time great and I still can't believe it's on, motherfucking One Piece is finally back and I have a big goofy grin on my face the whole time, Shippuden was terrible in both cases, and now we round the night off with Bebop. The block is on fire right now.

• Thanks 2

Yeah I would definitely say I'm watching more the block now than I was in February of 2019. I love HxH and Megalobox, Diamond is Unbreakable was good and bad as it was I did get amusement from SAO Alicization but I didn't really feel compelled to rewatch MHA regularly and had no interest in DBS, Boruto or Black Clover.

The current line-up only has one show I'm watching that I haven't already seen in Japanese (Shenmue) and the same is true with that 2019 lineup because I had watched Megalobox, SAO and HxH in Japanese already but hadn't seen JoJo DiU before. I've seen Made in Abyss in Japanese but not dubbed and I've kept up with the TItan simulcast but I'll see the dub first on Toonami. So there's about as much new to me content as that other lineup offered (which I would watch anyway). It's been a good long while since I've seen these episodes of Ass Class and One Piece so they're a lot of fun to revisit.

Other than being mostly older dubs it feels pretty stacked and I'm watching everything except the last hour live. That's pretty dang good IMO. And there's arguably better variety because that prior line-up had MHA, Boruto, Shippuden, HxH and Black Clover which are all cut from a very similar cloth of shounen (basically Naruto clones though Naruto arguably ripped off HxH since it came first). Even with double One Piece the shounen level of this lineup is surprisingly low at a total of 4 slots and Ass Class certainly feels different than most shounen battle anime. Yeah Titan is technically shounen but it certainly isn't like the Jump series airing on the block. At any rate I think the current block has a good variety. It's quite frankly going to be a rollercoaster for tone going from grim dark fantasy with Titan to lighter fare with Shenmue and Ass Class then taking a turn for the uncomfortable and grotesque with later episodes of Made in Abyss then lightening back up for One Piece. At least until One Piece starts hitting the heavier subjects in the Fishman Island arc. And if you don't fall asleep during Shippuden then you can chill out with the Bebop crew and after all of those other shows you're gonna need something chill.

• Thanks 2

Shenmue goes ahead of AOT, but I believe those 2 shows will compliment each other well. Ass Class is a bit of a departure and would probably work better with the goofiness of One Piece, so if they're gonna lead off with Shenmue, why they don't switch Ass Class and Made In Abyss is a mystery to me.

Except for potentially dropping an OP, I feel the lineup is stable now. There is the possibility of another special event when The Batman hits theaters in March (the 5th), as well as perhaps a special lineup or lineups to celebrate Toonami's 25th Anniversary on March 12th and/or 19th (probably with Shenmue and AOT still on, but if AOT needs a dub hiatus this would be the time), but notwithstanding THAT, I believe the next time we'll see a significant change will be in April when MiA ends. Will Toonami somehow be able to roll right into Season 2, or is it time for Food Wars Season 5 or Lupin Part 6 as a stopgap instead?

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

There is the possibility of another special event when The Batman hits theaters in March (the 5th), as well as perhaps a special lineup or lineups to celebrate Toonami's 25th Anniversary on March 12th and/or 19th (probably with Shenmue and AOT still on, but if AOT needs a dub hiatus this would be the time), but notwithstanding THAT, I believe the next time we'll see a significant change will be in April when MiA ends. Will Toonami somehow be able to roll right into Season 2, or is it time for Food Wars Season 5 or Lupin Part 6 as a stopgap instead?

MiA S2 probably isn't premiering in April, nevermind the fact that Sentai would need time to prepare the dub, but I appreciate your thinking. Personally, I wouldn't mind having another catalogue title replace it. Maybe this is finally the time to air Log Horizon? Yeah, I know Funi has the third season, but I don't care.

10 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Shenmue goes ahead of AOT, but I believe those 2 shows will compliment each other well. Ass Class is a bit of a departure and would probably work better with the goofiness of One Piece, so if they're gonna lead off with Shenmue, why they don't switch Ass Class and Made In Abyss is a mystery to me.

Except for potentially dropping an OP, I feel the lineup is stable now. There is the possibility of another special event when The Batman hits theaters in March (the 5th), as well as perhaps a special lineup or lineups to celebrate Toonami's 25th Anniversary on March 12th and/or 19th (probably with Shenmue and AOT still on, but if AOT needs a dub hiatus this would be the time), but notwithstanding THAT, I believe the next time we'll see a significant change will be in April when MiA ends. Will Toonami somehow be able to roll right into Season 2, or is it time for Food Wars Season 5 or Lupin Part 6 as a stopgap instead?

Silly me I did mix those up so it’s even more of a roller coaster going from Titan to Ass Class to Made in Abyss and finally to One Piece.