UnevenEdge

The upcoming Shenmue anime to have panel at NYCC

Jman

18 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

That shit is gonna have the flattest, most stilted dub and you're gonna LIKE IT goddammit.

Then what, Netflix gets a celebrity dub for their adaptation of a series based on Yakuza?  They bring back Mark Hamill as Majima?

2 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

A Shenmue anime wouldn’t feel complete if it didn’t sound like they pulled people from the street to record the dub. 

Watch as that happens and then we do get the Yakuza series with the entire cast Netflix got for He-Man.  I’d laugh.

7 hours ago, Jman said:

Watch as that happens and then we do get the Yakuza series with the entire cast Netflix got for He-Man.  I’d laugh.

Time is a cruel mistress. Yakuza’s first game has a goofy English dub, but even that had Mark Hamil to make up for it. Eventually, Yakuza 7 would get an English dub that has voice work from George Takei and a stellar cast of professional anime voice actors.

Meanwhile, Shenmue’s z-grade voice acting is retained from game-to-game because the unnatural robotic conversations became a part of the game’s identity. I love the games, but much of its charm comes from being one of the most expensive and beloved kusoge out there. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

20 minutes to showtime and the pre-recorded footage has already begun to play.

Whoops.

Not a huge crowd for this.  I imagine FUNimation’s quarterly review of their products is getting way more attention, and the new Dragon Ball movie filled the main hall earlier.

Edited by Jman

Ok, panel has begun and it is fully virtual.

No set release date, just sometime in 2022.

Suzuki has admitted he would want to make adaptations of Outrun (as a sort of Cannonball Run style project) and Space Harrier.  The moderator mentioned Yakuza and Suzuki got ice cold for a second.

This is made with Sega’s blessing, presumably like Shenmue 3, even if not directly published.

Edited by Jman

Eh, they showed the trailer just now of all times?!  Shouldn't it have been played earlier?

2:42 AM Central time right when the Super rerun went to commercial.  I'm lucky I still had the TV on!

So we are only able to see the trailer for free and not the whole panel?

It looks like we won't have the cheesy voice acting after all. :(

But yeah hopefully the anime can finish the story.  Since Sheamue III took forever to come out and was a bust.  It ignored the progress of Yakuza and the videogame industry overall, and STILL didn't finish the story!