UnevenEdge

Does anyone on the boards believe that the spiritual realm and physical reality can merge and be crossed?

mumbo

I have an aunt who's into hauntings, UFOs, and shit. I don't buy into that stuff.

Case in point: UFO sightings. They're usually a plane, weather balloon, bird, or something similar. You can make your own UFO sighting for pennies on the dollar. All you need is a Frisbee, metallic spray paint, and a phone to take pictures with. Aliens, on the other hand? We live in a universe with over two trillion galaxies. Surely those galaxies contain worlds harboring life. But whatever is out there won't resemble Earth life. If there's any intelligent aliens out there, they won't look like the humanoids you see in sci-fi movies for the same reason that they won't speak English. And to the aliens, WE'RE the aliens.

I'm pretty sure there are ghosts. I've definitely had some experiences in my house after I moved in here over a year ago, also there's a story a guy I worked with told me about how he legit saw what looked like his brother (or in-law, don't remember which) in one of the hallways at work, this being at night with no one around. He then found out that he died, and when he went to the funeral one of the pictures there was exactly as he appeared when he saw him that other night.

Also I'm a firm believer in Buddhism, and ghosts do exist in it.

• Like 1

Honestly and truthfully, a very close special person to me in my life that I trust dearly, says she grew up in a haunted house.   She saw a figure of a man in a window often.  Something would tug on her feet and blankets.   Windows she would close and lock would somehow reopen.   Things that sound completely crazy to me, and she's saying them to my face as if it were easy to believe?!?

So the more I thought about it, I realized many places I have been to were somehow eerie, tempting me to go inside but a mysterious fear told me no, dont go in there.

Other examples might be timing of events that seem predestined or influenced by outside forces or a dimly lit dawn morning when the sky is really kind of bizarre and outlandish... just makes me think of otherworldly influence. 

5 minutes ago, DBAss said:

I'm pretty sure there are ghosts. I've definitely had some experiences in my house after I moved in here over a year ago, also there's a story a guy I worked with told me about how he legit saw what looked like his brother (or in-law, don't remember which) in one of the hallways at work, this being at night with no one around. He then found out that he died, and when he went to the funeral one of the pictures there was exactly as he appeared when he saw him that other night.

Also I'm a firm believer in Buddhism, and ghosts do exist in it.

That's kind of cool.  I wonder if he imagined in his mind what he saw and, I dont want to use the word hallucinated, but the mental image appeared where he's never expected to be able to project it?!?... if you know what I mean, he may have been thinking about it so deeply that it appeared to him, internally. 

12 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Ghosts and spirits? No. Those usually start when someone sees marsh gas, St. Elmo's fire (plasma), or even ball lightning.

You seem to be very scientific about all of it, but what if it is true?  What if spirits exist somehow?

1 minute ago, Sofa King Kule said:

Or, when you feel somebody shove you from behind, but you're the only person in the room.

Sometimes I jump when I'm half conscious falling asleep... if that helps.  But I dont think you're being serious about all of this. 

25 minutes ago, CactusLove said:

That's kind of cool.  I wonder if he imagined in his mind what he saw and, I dont want to use the word hallucinated, but the mental image appeared where he's never expected to be able to project it?!?... if you know what I mean, he may have been thinking about it so deeply that it appeared to him, internally. 

He described the whole encounter better than I can recall.

With my encounter, I moved into my house around April of last year, and for the first 6-8 months or so I experienced the usual things, such as doors I thought I closed being open (I live alone. Also it was always the same door, that being one that leads down to my basement). I also used to hear random pounding sounds around the house. I remember a few times when I was sitting in my computer room, my desk being to the left of the doorway of that room, and in front of that door is a hallway, I used to hear what genuinely sounded like someone walking down it toward my direction. I would even get up and walk around my house to make sure no one was in there but me, and check and see if my doors were locked.

Then there was one time last year that my boss called me around 7:30am (I work evenings) wanting me to come in and watch a video on Asbestos (all new hires had to watch it in their first year). It was around 9:30 when that was over and I went back home and went to sleep, hoping to get another hour or so of sleep. While I was asleep I kept hearing talking going on around me, I remember opening my eyes a couple of times to see if someone was in the room with me (again, I live alone). The next time I opened my eyes (I was half-asleep but was seeing pretty clearly) that there was a skinny old man beside my bed looking down at me, him looking like he was in his 70's or so, wearing some kind of patriotic hat, couldn't recall what the hat looked like. But as soon as I woke up and got out of bed I went and looked it up, I had a letter in one of my kitchen drawers with a mans name on it (won't say the name, but the initials were W. S. W), I went and looked it up online and sure enough in my state (IL) there was an obituary for them, with the same spelling (his name being spelled differently than the name normally is) and the picture sure enough matched pretty close to what I saw, him wearing a Viet Nam hat in the obituary picture, him being born in I think 1939 or a couple years later (don't remember) and died in 2019. I moved in here April 2020. That said, after a certain point I think he just passed on, cause so far this current year I don't remember anything weird going on.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CactusLove said:

Not easy on the mind, but I'm trying to comprehend.   Hope there's nothing phoney about your description?!?!

There was a guy I worked with for awhile that also worked as a custodian for the hospital in my city (that hospital paid shit, him working part time with us because of it) and he used to tell a bunch of stories about things that went on at that hospital after dark.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DBAss said:

He described the whole encounter better than I can recall.

With my encounter, I moved into my house around April of last year, and for the first 6-8 months or so I experienced the usual things, such as doors I thought I closed being open (I live alone. Also it was always the same door, that being one that leads down to my basement). I also used to hear random pounding sounds around the house. I remember a few times when I was sitting in my computer room, my desk being to the left of the doorway of that room, and in front of that door is a hallway, I used to hear what genuinely sounded like someone walking down it toward my direction. I would even get up and walk around my house to make sure no one was in there but me, and check and see if my doors were locked.

Then there was one time last year that my boss called me around 7:30am (I work evenings) wanting me to come in and watch a video on Asbestos (all new hires had to watch it in their first year). It was around 9:30 when that was over and I went back home and went to sleep, hoping to get another hour or so of sleep. While I was asleep I kept hearing talking going on around me, I remember opening my eyes a couple of times to see if someone was in the room with me (again, I live alone). The next time I opened my eyes (I was half-asleep but was seeing pretty clearly) that there was a skinny old man beside my bed looking down at me, him looking like he was in his 70's or so, wearing some kind of patriotic hat, couldn't recall what the hat looked like. But as soon as I woke up and got out of bed I went and looked it up, I had a letter in one of my kitchen drawers with a mans name on it (won't say the name, but the initials were W. S. W), I went and looked it up online and sure enough in my state (IL) there was an obituary for them, with the same spelling (his name being spelled differently than the name normally is) and the picture sure enough matched pretty close to what I saw, him wearing a Viet Nam hat in the obituary picture, him being born in I think 1939 or a couple years later (don't remember) and died in 2019. I moved in here April 2020. That said, after a certain point I think he just passed on, cause so far this current year I don't remember anything weird going on.

I've heard plenty of strange noises, but my father always told me that buildings make noises, creaking sounds, shifting structural problems, normal shit.  I've thought I heard footsteps but never thought anything of it,  and I've had nightmares that last until I can remember where I am, half conscious and still dreaming... that's the closest I can compare.

13 minutes ago, DBAss said:

There was a guy I worked with for awhile that also worked as a custodian for the hospital in my city (that hospital paid shit, him working part time with us because of it) and he used to tell a bunch of stories about things that went on at that hospital after dark.

You see?  The familiarity is so coincidental that it is another one who believes in haunted hospitals.   That's very common for some reason.

As a teenager, I once visited Fort Delaware with my mom, stepdad, and half-sister. It's an old Civil War-era fort that was used to house Confederate POWs. Later, it was used during World War II. Today, it's a museum. It's considered a haunted spot. But there was nothing creepy when I went there, and that was during the day.

• Like 1

Just now, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

As a teenager, I once visited Fort Delaware with my mom, stepdad, and half-sister. It's an old Civil War-era fort that was used to house Confederate POWs. Later, it was used during World War II. Today, it's a museum. It's considered a haunted spot. But there was nothing creepy when I went there, and that was during the day.

Neato.  I would like that, it sounds very interesting.

9 minutes ago, CactusLove said:

Nevertheless, I am a believer that the possibility of a different plane of existence knows we are here or something like that.   Something human or not, wants to enter earth, in my mostly playful hypothesis. 

I believe in Buddhism, where there's 6 (some sects believe in only 5) possible planes of existence; three that are good, and three that are bad. Ones karma determining where they end up. One plane is coming back as an animal, which is considered bad since you're incapable of achieving nirvana as an animal. There is one that involves ghosts. A version of hell called naraka is one of the three bad planes.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DBAss said:

Through my career, I probably spent 15+ years working nights in various hospitals, and nothing. No spooks, no bumps in the night, no cold spots, no nothing. I've been bedside when patients died, and nothing, regardless of circumstances. 

When it comes to ghosts, I think one finds what one is looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Spirits can't be observed, detected, tested, or measured.

If anyone in Ancient Rome had spoken of a type of light that can't be seen and yet has a unique ability to shine through otherwise opaque objects, he would have been dismissed as a lunatic.  We know that light today as the x-ray.  X-ray was only discovered because it does affect silver oxide.  

We don't know the properties of a ghost or what things it would always affect when present.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

If anyone in Ancient Rome had spoken of a type of light that can't be seen and yet has a unique ability to shine through otherwise opaque objects, he would have been dismissed as a lunatic.  We know that light today as the x-ray.  X-ray was only discovered because it does affect silver oxide.  

We don't know the properties of a ghost or what things it would always affect when present.  

That's an awesome observation!!!

• Like 1

I've never had any reason to believe in spirits or ghosts, which i would need for belief. Still, I find the concept incredibly useful as a metaphore and really cool to imagine. I don't think anything negative about people who do believe such things and I won't say their experiences are invalid. I just need more if I'm to believe.  

I wish i could communicate with the dead.  That would be so cool.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KimopoBotar said:

I've never had any reason to believe in spirits or ghosts, which i would need for belief. Still, I find the concept incredibly useful as a metaphore and really cool to imagine. I don't think anything negative about people who do believe such things and I won't say their experiences are invalid. I just need more if I'm to believe.  

I wish i could communicate with the dead.  That would be so cool.  

I am sort of in the same spot.  But someone I love repeatedly says she was haunted.  

20 hours ago, CactusLove said:

I have friends that swear they believe in hauntings, demons, ghosts, spirits... that world of things...

Anyone here invest any time or interest in such beliefs?

If you're asking if I believe it is possible, yes.

If you're asking if I've personally spent any time actually participating in investigating same, no.  Well, not sober.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sofa King Kule said:

Ghost sightings and other paranormal stuff is often rooted in subjective convictions and anecdotes. Subjective convictions mean dick in science and eyewitness testimony is the least reliable form of evidence.

For instance, if I went into my front yard and saw a large sauropod walking along the street, I'd be quite convinced of what I see. I'd be more satisfied if I walked up to the dinosaur, followed it for a bit, and found that I could touch it, maybe even ride it if I wanted to. When I gather enough sense to run back home for my phone to take pictures of it, I might not find the animal again because I don't know which way it went. But that doesn't matter to me because I saw, felt, and smelled it. And I remember all this with a sober and rational mind. But when I tell others, no one believes me. Someone else might say that she saw a dinosaur, but her description is vastly different, such that we can't both be talking about the same animal. When days go by and there's no footprints, no excrement, no destruction, no sign of the beast at all, no explanation for how a 20-meter long non-avian dinosaur could suddenly disappear in the middle of a busy beach resort town, much less how it appeared there in the first place, nor any eyewitnesses whose testimony lends credence to mine, it becomes easier to explain all the impossibilities against that dinosaur being there. Eventually, even I, the eyewitness, would have to admit that although I did see it, I still don't know if it was ever really there.

Positive claims require positive evidence. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And extraordinary evidence is what I'd need because my sighting isn't just extraordinary, it's impossible. Same goes for ghosts, Bigfoot, Nessie, etc.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:37 PM, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

I have an aunt who's into hauntings, UFOs, and shit. I don't buy into that stuff.

Case in point: UFO sightings. They're usually a plane, weather balloon, bird, or something similar. You can make your own UFO sighting for pennies on the dollar. All you need is a Frisbee, metallic spray paint, and a phone to take pictures with. Aliens, on the other hand? We live in a universe with over two trillion galaxies. Surely those galaxies contain worlds harboring life. But whatever is out there won't resemble Earth life. If there's any intelligent aliens out there, they won't look like the humanoids you see in sci-fi movies for the same reason that they won't speak English. And to the aliens, WE'RE the aliens.

So, more like all the far out shapes and sizes depicted in the "Men In Black" movies?  I can totally dig that. 

7 hours ago, tsar4 said:

If you're asking if I believe it is possible, yes.

If you're asking if I've personally spent any time actually participating in investigating same, no.  Well, not sober.

I also am thrilled about it being possible,  but have no evidence worth mentioning. 

4 hours ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Bigfoot, Nessie, etc.

That's exactly what I was going to say about your resolution.   It sounds like you are explaining IMPOSSIBLE sightings.  However, spiritualists require an untraceable acceptance of their beliefs.   Same as Creator of the Universe religions.   It's sort of a different ball game.  Many people believe e in demons,  personally I have never encountered a demon and the only reliance on any demonic theories is to believe word of mouth, which I also do not.  But, I never discredit it.  Maybe because I am a believer and I am still searching for realistic answers?

1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i know enough people that have had some weird encounters.

my experience goes as far as sleep paralysis. 

Yep.  Nightmares, my mind playing tricks on me, strange noises that can be ignored or rationalized, but I never saw anything from hell standing in front of me,  or anything from a spiritual realm either.

12 hours ago, Sofa King Kule said:

So, more like all the far out shapes and sizes depicted in the "Men In Black" movies?  I can totally dig that. 

Any alien life might not even have the same chemical basis as us. Earth life is based on carbon and depends on liquid water for survival. Aliens could be based on a different element such as boron or silicon, maybe metal oxides. Different planets, different chemical bases, different environments, different selection pressures.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

Any alien life might not even have the same chemical basis as us. Earth life is based on carbon and depends on liquid water for survival. Aliens could be based on a different element such as boron or silicon, maybe metal oxides. Different planets, different chemical bases, different environments, different selection pressures.

I've watched videos on that, and the possibility for non-carbon based life has been ruled out. One of the arguments for silicon based life is that silicon is incredibly flexible, just like carbon, having tons of possible shapes and forms, but through scientific process they ruled that it'd be completely impossible for living creatures to be composed of silicon, since it lacks in what carbon is capable of.

I've seen articles and videos that debated that any advanced, alien sentient life we were to come across might resemble us to some degree. Biologically speaking the human form (bipedal, two arms, two legs, thumbs, etc.) is considered the most optimal, and that if there were an intelligent alien civilization out there, their evolution could likely have taken a similar path.

34 minutes ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

There were two Star Trek episodes that stand out.  In one, Captain Picard instructed a team to remove crystals from a planet for study, and later discovered that the crystals were alive and sentient.  In another, the ship encountered a cloud of gasses in space.  The gasses were alive.

Also, Kurt Vonnegut mentioned a life form that he described as, "I super intelligent shade of blue".  Yes, a living light frequency.