UnevenEdge

What's this?

Sofa King Kule

3 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

Yes.

Then why don't you tell us what it is already instead of just saying "go google it" like a normal person?

Show me a picture of what it's supposed to be, not a translation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

Here it is, on the web.  Not stylized.

images (6).jpeg

So it's a rare kanji instead of one of the commonly used joyo kanji? Ok.

Btw, your second less blurry picture is clearly not the same as the first. The top stroke is not touching the center line in your original post, unlike the second one.

6 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

So it's a rare kanji instead of one of the commonly used joyo kanji? Ok.

Btw, your second less blurry picture is clearly not the same as the first. The top stroke is not touching the center line in your original post, unlike the second one.

I noticed that, too.  The Google Translate search came out the same in both cases, though.

There will always be style differences between people as far as handwriting goes.  It doesn't change the meaning.

6 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

I noticed that, too.  The Google Translate search came out the same in both cases, though.

There will always be style differences between people as far as handwriting goes.  It doesn't change the meaning.

You are so full of shit.

Also, this isn't the 90s anymore. Japanese culture is quite popular these days and doesn't have that exotic flair it once did. Nobody is impressed that you shittily wrote a kanji character.

Edited by bnmjy
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

You are so full of shit.

Also, this isn't the 90s anymore. Japanese culture is quite popular these days and doesn't have that exotic flair it once did. Nobody is impressed that you shittily wrote a kanji character.

Where's the lie?

Anyway, I'm not trying to impress anybody.  I just need to see who else can read it.

Edited by Sofa King Kule
  • D'oh 2

9 hours ago, Sofa King Kule said:

You don't.

I've known it since 1992.  It was part of the first manga I ever read.

I'm looking for someone in here that knows.

Oh, does it mean "my name is packard and I like to rub myself to underage hentai.*

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

State what they mean and find out.

IMG_20210601_100421304~2.jpg

Just now, scoobdog said:

I got a better Idea...

If @bnmjy can tell us what it is, you log off and never ever post here again.

Deal.

Electricity. 電

Bye bye Packard.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

Deal.

Electricity. 電

Bye bye Packard.

Great!

Notice this was hand drawn with a Sharpie?

I once ran into somebody in this forum who rattled on and on for several pages that writing anything in Kanji is absolutely impossible without knowing the "stroke order".

Well, folks... There it stands.  Legible Kanji with no attention paid to stroke order.

Thread complete.

• D'oh 1

9 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

Great!

Notice this was hand drawn with a Sharpie?

I once ran into somebody in this forum who rattled on and on for several pages that writing anything in Kanji is absolutely impossible without knowing the "stroke order".

Well, folks... There it stands.  Legible Kanji with no attention paid to stroke order.

Thread complete.

Who said that?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sawdamizer said:

Who said that?

It was about five years ago and since all your ultra dense heads are interchangeable, take your pick.

If that person can remember anything that happened more than three minutes ago, he might show up again and say I cheated on this.

• D'oh 1

2 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

It was about five years ago and since all your ultra dense heads are interchangeable, take your pick.

If that person can remember anything that happened more than three minutes ago, he might show up again and say I cheated on this.

So, nobody said that. Burden is on you to support your claims.

• Like 1

I dont recall him drawing anything other than his schematic that cut electricity and had Spiderman  spidy sense to indicate illumination.

As far as kanji goes, he posted some dollar tree wall art and acted like it was difficult to decipher.

This other shit hes mentioning didnt happen anywhere

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

I dont recall him drawing anything other than his schematic that cut electricity and had Spiderman  spidy sense to indicate illumination.

As far as kanji goes, he posted some dollar tree wall art and acted like it was difficult to decipher.

This other shit hes mentioning didnt happen anywhere

And you just proved once again how flimsy your memory is.

Hint: The original thread was about how keeping a sheet of Kanji on my front door discourages Jehovah Witnesses from knocking.

I haven't had one knock from them in several years.

• D'oh 1

2 minutes ago, Sofa King Kule said:

And you just proved once again how flimsy your memory is.

Hint: The original thread was about how keeping a sheet of Kanji on my front door discourages Jehovah Witnesses from knocking.

I haven't had one knock from them in several years.

No, every bit of that is accurate and you think the rest of us believe anything you say

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sofa King Kule said:

Bit of what?

The part about you getting into an argument about stroke order.  Which, by the way, is very important unless you're a stupid weep writing one character for a message board instead of, you know, using the character to communicate.

6 hours ago, Sofa King Kule said:

You think a little blurriness in the photo makes it illegible, as though you can't follow the lines.

Here's one that's less blurry.

Same stuff, just a better quality shot.

IMG_20210601_070541370~2.jpg

You don't seem to be very good at drawing these. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

The part about you getting into an argument about stroke order.  Which, by the way, is very important unless you're a stupid weep writing one character for a message board instead of, you know, using the character to communicate.

You just proved my point for me.

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

So.... @bnmjy...

Why is stroke order and direction important when doing caligraphy?

I think stroke order really only matters when using a brush. Never really formally studied shodo (Japanese calligraphy), lol

I just know that the average Japanese person would think the first character Packard wrote is a poorly written heaven 天, not the other rare character he supposedly said it was.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

I think stroke order really only matters when using a brush. Never really formally studied shodo (Japanese calligraphy), lol

I just know that the average Japanese person would think the first character Packard wrote is a poorly written heaven 天, not the other rare character he supposedly said it was.

What is a rare character?  Is it obsolete?

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

I imagine it's just something that's not used often.  I looked up the first one he posted and it translated to broken heaven.
That's not exactly something one would use in everyday conversation.

1 minute ago, Sieg67 said:

I imagine it's just something that's not used often.  I looked up the first one he posted and it translated to broken heaven.
That's not exactly something one would use in everyday conversation.

Obviously, but there is a difference between obsolete language and ceremonial / official language.  It would be like saying a lot of the words used in English for jurisprudence would be rare in common language.

2 hours ago, bnmjy said:

It means, "nihility"

Edit: spell fix

Edited by Sofa King Kule

You're reading too much into this or trying to turn this into something it isn't.  Or maybe  you're just inflexible with the definition.
I can say that I rarely use the word "flabbergasted" but that would in no way make the word obsolete.

That's just a Kanji that isn't used often.  Rare can mean something that doesn't often occur.

Edited by Sieg67

14 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

There are official lists of kanji. The joyo are commonly used every day kanji, and the jinmeiyo kanji are used in personal names. Together, the lists include about 3000 characters. If a kanji is not in either list, it is considered hyogaiji, or rare. Such is the case with the character Packard wrote. Hyogaiji can be archaic or just uncommonly used characters.

You can expect most Japanese to know every joyo and most jinmeiyo kanji. As for hyogaiji, they most likely won't.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

There are official lists of kanji. The joyo are commonly used every day kanji, and the jinmeiyo kanji are used in personal names. Together, the lists include about 3000 characters. If a kanji is not in either list, it is considered hyogaiji, or rare. Such is the case with the character Packard wrote. Hyogaiji can be archaic or just uncommonly used characters.

You can expect most Japanese to know every joyo and most jinmeiyo kanji. As for hyogaiji, they most likely won't.

So what you're saying is that when Packard said that anybody who can read Kanji would recognize it, he was wrong?
Whaaaaa

Edited by Sieg67
  • Haha 1