UnevenEdge

Jason Demarco makes a statement about the classic "Anime Sucks" bumps from adultswim

what caused him to tweet this?...well apparently a video from 2009 where  Voice Actor Greg Ayres dumps on adultswim during a convention due to those "Anime Sucks" Bumpers and how he was given a shirt at a live event that said "Anime Is Teh Sucks" on it

what i find weird is that....that was 2009 and to my knowledge Demarco never said anything about it until now

nobody brought it up to him on twitter and it's not been a trending topic yet he felt the need to dig it up anyways

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Confused 1

They may have been joking but most of the fandom and a lot of the creators took it seriously.  Like I said, they lorded their “only game in town” status over the plebs until mass streaming broke their monopoly.

There was a motherfucker on the old ASMB that had an entire site dedicated to shitting on anime and attacking anyone who had anything positive to say.  “I think anime STINKS and I’m not gonna apologize.”  

Edited by Jman
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jman said:

They may have been joking but most of the fandom and a lot of the creators took it seriously.  Like I said, they lorded their “only game in town” status over the plebs until mass streaming broke their monopoly.

There was a motherfucker on the old ASMB that had an entire site dedicated to shitting on anime and attacking anyone who had anything positive to say.  “I think anime STINKS and I’m not gonna apologize.”  

like this whole thing is bizarre because as i said nothing prompted this....Demarco just felt like roasting greg ayres for what he said back in 2009

2009!....that was 12 years ago

Odd that he chose that era in time to do damage control for when it was pretty clear that they didn’t understand why anime fans were upset with how the block was being handled and why they got the shit end of the stick for being fans of the shows they aired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chapinator_X said:

Odd that he chose that era in time to do damage control for when it was pretty clear that they didn’t understand why anime fans were upset with how the block was being handled and why they got the shit end of the stick for being fans of the shows they aired. 

I would assume it’s the same reason that Adult Swim did their damndest to reconcile with creators like Brendon Small after they lost the Family Guy rights.

Edited by Jman

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

what caused him to tweet this?...well apparently a video from 2009 where  Voice Actor Greg Ayres dumps on adultswim during a convention due to those "Anime Sucks" Bumpers and how he was given a shirt at a live event that said "Anime Is Teh Sucks" on it

what i find weird is that....that was 2009 and to my knowledge Demarco never said anything about it until now

nobody brought it up to him on twitter and it's not been a trending topic yet he felt the need to dig it up anyways

I hope he never works with that VA anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Chapinator_X said:

what's extra weird is that the official adultswim twitter acknowledged demarco's tweet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Jman said:

I would assume it’s the same reason that Adult Swim did their damndest to reconcile with creators like Brendon Small after they lost the Family Guy rights.

but this?...this makes no sense

it just makes demarco look like an asshole for deciding to roast someone because they crapped on adultswim back in 2009

how much of a manchild do you have to be for that to upset you 12 years later...

I remember Ranlsa taking a clearly sarcastic "we hate anime" bump seriously on the old ASMB, telling them "fuck you and the horse you rode in on" twice like she had no idea she was being redundant or something.

Oh, if only we knew how terrible she could get back then...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The funny thing about 2009 is that at the time, [as] was FAR from the only game in town. Syfy also had a piece of that pie, and were airing such hits as Gurren Lagann, Gundam 00, and Monster every Monday night, alongside some older classic series and movies/OVAs on Ani-Monday!

Sure, [as] still had Bleach kicking off a whole night of anime on Saturday nights at 12:30 AM, and a few other ongoing premieres like Code Geass and Moribito were in the mix too, but in 2009, at times Ani-Monday was looking like the stronger brand.

And ironically, when Toonami returned in 2012, Greg Ayres would star in Deadman Wonderland!!

On 5/16/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jman said:

It was obviously a joke and I don't know if "most fans" took it seriously.  I at least would hope not.  I haven't heard about any creators taking offense, if they even knew about it.  Adult Swim would tease and joke around with the fans all the time like that.  Not just with the anime stuff, but in general.  And they used to do those Q&A bumps.  I never would have learned Tessaiga was a falchion if not for those bumps!  Honestly it was pretty cool they interacted with the fans at all, since most networks didn't.  I think some people just take things too seriously and have no sense of humor.  Although, if any actual creators did get offended, that may be cause to reign it in.  Especially since that could compromise future business deals and licenses and such, and the sarcasm/joking may not be obvious across the language barrier.

I honestly don't remember that part of it at all.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:40 PM, CountFrylock said:

but this?...this makes no sense

it just makes demarco look like an asshole for deciding to roast someone because they crapped on adultswim back in 2009

how much of a manchild do you have to be for that to upset you 12 years later...

Of course Demarco is still butthurt over that.  He's still mad over stuff that happened during the original Toonami, like long-dead competitors buying the rights to shows and sitting on them so Toonami couldn't have them.  Of course Demarco didn't mention the voice actor by name, so that makes him look pretty bad too.

2 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

And then, there’s the matter of whether Greg Ayres really Greg Cayres about an Adult Swim exec wanting to wedge in the last word over 10 years after the initial dispute. 

he probably doesn't...i mean why would he?

like i said all this does is make demarco look like an asshole...did he really have to tweet this? i don't think so

btw adultswim tweeted this joke that isn't really funny

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, CountFrylock said:

that video from 2009 still exists...so it's not like Demarco had no way of knowing the dude's name

pretty sure he did it just to seem professional

Being professional would have been not making the comment in the first place.  Not mentioning Greg Ayres' name makes Demarco come off like a passive aggressive pussy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Being professional would have been not making the comment in the first place.  Not mentioning Greg Ayres' name makes Demarco come off like a passive aggressive pussy.

and adultswim's official twitter account gave him a thumbs up for that tweet...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

yeah i put it in this topic and all it said was "The Real Ones Know" as if to say

you aren't a real fan if you ever thought adultswim didn't like anime and it's fans

I could tell it was a running gag but a lot of people did not take it that way.

I wonder if anyone ever showed this Demarco tweet to Greg Ayres.

32 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I could tell it was a running gag but a lot of people did not take it that way.

I wonder if anyone ever showed this Demarco tweet to Greg Ayres.

that's a good question honestly....i think he'd be annoyed that demarco's clowning on him for comments he made back in 2009

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 4:05 AM, CountFrylock said:

that's a good question honestly....i think he'd be annoyed that demarco's clowning on him for comments he made back in 2009

I would be surprised if Greg Ayres hadn't seen this tweet with how word travels on the internet, and especially with how people like to go "ZOMG DID YOU SEE WHAT THIS PERSON SAID?!"  Granted in some cases it is justified.