UnevenEdge

the legend of zelda: breath of the wild

Distortedreasoning

When I played the first few hours on the Great Plateau "tutorial" area, my two main thoughts were "wow this is really expansive, it'd take me weeks to explore this whole thing" and "I am starting to notice a distinct lack of characters, I have a bad feeling I'm in an expansive world with no characters to ground it to again."

And then I obtained the paraglider and the real game started - I realized the Great Plateau was the tiniest sector on the map and there were no NPCs because it was abandoned, as the first thing I ran into on the ground were treasure hunters.

When I played the first few hours on the Great Plateau "tutorial" area, my two main thoughts were "wow this is really expansive, it'd take me weeks to explore this whole thing" and "I am starting to notice a distinct lack of characters, I have a bad feeling I'm in an expansive world with no characters to ground it to again."

And then I obtained the paraglider and the real game started - I realized the Great Plateau was the tiniest sector on the map and there were no NPCs because it was abandoned, as the first thing I ran into on the ground were treasure hunters.

i like how it felt like a good tutorial.

the old man was conveniently placed there so you wont miss him. you can talk to him and he gives you your first quests which gives you something to do if youre loss. from this quest you get the shiekah sleight and learn most of it's functions and learn several of the different mechanics of the game by completing the first part of the game. and they dont hold your hand through any of that. after you get the glider, the game really opens up.

i like how it felt like a good tutorial.

the old man was conveniently placed there so you wont miss him. you can talk to him and he gives you your first quests which gives you something to do if youre loss. from this quest you get the shiekah sleight and learn most of it's functions and learn several of the different mechanics of the game by completing the first part of the game. and they dont hold your hand through any of that. after you get the glider, the game really opens up.

The thing about it though was that, for whatever reason, it didn't even dawn to me that I was playing a tutorial until I got the glider, saw the cutscenes, and realized the Great Plateau, and what little was on it, was just a tiny, empty fraction of the world.

It was like something straight out of Plato's allegory of the cave.

Finally got the game and enjoying it so far. I was a bit worried about the music but it does have some call backs to older games for sure. When I heard that slow sad version of the Hyrule castle theme i was super happy. I like that theme and sometimes wonder if they forget about it.

Also the shrine theme I knew I had heard it before, well a portion of it again slight nods.

I think I might have found it....it does sound like the tower of the gods in Windwaker a bit too but compare these two videos.

Anyone else hear it?

Also one of the links goes to the video and it looks like the other is embedded, not sure why that is but whatever.

The thing about it though was that, for whatever reason, it didn't even dawn to me that I was playing a tutorial until I got the glider, saw the cutscenes, and realized the Great Plateau, and what little was on it, was just a tiny, empty fraction of the world.

It was like something straight out of Plato's allegory of the cave.

its a really great tutorial. you dont even have to do it but if you do, you will have learned most of the games basic mechanics and what to expect of the game world. and all while driving forward the games story line.

Finally got the game and enjoying it so far. I was a bit worried about the music but it does have some call backs to older games for sure. When I heard that slow sad version of the Hyrule castle theme i was super happy. I like that theme and sometimes wonder if they forget about it.

Also the shrine theme I knew I had heard it before, well a portion of it again slight nods.

I think I might have found it....it does sound like the tower of the gods in Windwaker a bit too but compare these two videos.

Anyone else hear it?

Also one of the links goes to the video and it looks like the other is embedded, not sure why that is but whatever.

i couldn't make any of the conections to the shrine song itself but now that you mention it, i can see it.

that shrine song is so catchy too.

explain mochi, cuz this is very much a zelda game.

never played the xenoblade chronicles series so help me understand what thats like.

I've never played either, just watched lets plays

and the best I can suggest is to watch Chuggaconroy's LP of Xenoblade

the full voice acting the bleak setting the british accents the literal openworld environment the robots

it's on the wii u as well and both versions are pretty much identical.

probably no one here has a wii u either except for me  >:D

About 2 or 3 days before release the title key was brute forced.

So you could just play it on a wii u or wii emu. Not sure which...it was.

:I

Not sure if anyone else posted about this.

I've been playing it for a couple of weeks now. It's highly addictive and one of the best open world games I've played in quite some time. So far I've beaten 3 divine beasts but I've only done about 1/3 of the shrines in the game. Not that I was planning to do them all but I feel like I should have done/do more. Though I have enough hearts at this point to get the master sword....which I'll probably get over the next day or two. I don't know I just get distracted easily I guess. Like the other day I got Ganon's horse and just spent like half an hour running over random enemies, wildlife, etc. It's a very polished game, so you do get side-tracked quite a bit (if you're trying to collect or explore as much as you can). I also ran into Kilton yesterday....so I've just been buying monster costumes and taking amusing selfies with various monsters....like I said, it's easy to get side-tracked.

I've definitely enjoyed the game but I'm ready for some new stuff too. I'm still debating whether to get MK8 Deluxe or not. I mean I already have the Wii U version and pretty much did everything there is to do in that game....so I'm not sure if I'm in the mood to shell out a bunch of money for essentially the same game with some added content. We'll see....