UnevenEdge

Sword Art Online: Alicization - War Of Underworld Episode 14 "End To Eternity" Discussion!!

I watched Accel World for the first time, after I finally watched the SAO movie for the first time, seeing what else Reki has to offer.  It is... odd.  It's a creative idea, I'll give it that.  I started watching it on Saturday and finished it some time in the middle of the week.

Spoiler

Why would Haruyuki pick the pig avatar if he hates being made fun of for being fat?

Also these Neuralinker devices being worn by people since they were born... seems unethical.

Episode 6 of Accel World is weird.  It feels like some episodes were skipped over.  Seems like Haru, Taku, and Chi reconciled too easily.  I know they were best friends since childhood, but still.  Also kind of weird for Taku to be revealed as Cyan Pile and then decide to change his ways and make up for what he did wrong so quickly and easily. 

And the last episode cut off with Kuroyukihime about to reveal her first name... and does not pick up there but several days at least have passed.  It was just very odd.  I actually backed out of the episode to make sure I hadn't accidentally skipped ahead.  It was confusing.  Maybe there was some weirdness with how the story was adapted, I don't know.

Ok it made a little more sense with episode 7, but I still think they made up too easy.

Well, all in all, I thought this Accel World was a pretty decent show.  It does have a lot of heart warming and charming moments.  It is different from SAO.  It's a lot more corny and more like a shonen.  SAO started to feel more like a shonen to me once the tower arc started in Alicization, and I think it was better for it.  Haruyuki, the main character is a lot like a shonen protagonist, and there is talk of friendship and bonds and whatnot, getting stronger.  It really does have some likeable characters and their relationships are done decently enough, although like I mentioned before the whole reconciliation thing I think needed more time.  Niku is a fun character.  She puts on a front of a cutsey girl but then turns into a foul mouthed brat!  Actually, there is a lot of cursing in this show!  It was crazy!

I can see why people say this is written better than SAO, or better than SAO.  I can also see by what is in this show, there really isn't a lot that would piss people off or offend them. 

Spoiler

Well, maybe Nomi, this ridiculous blackmailing bully character who is the villain for a good part of the story.  I think he may have said something about "I'm not going to make you do anything against your will in the real world, at least not yet" to Chi, which has icky connotations, but he is nowhere near as bad as someone like SAO's Sugo. 

But I can also see why this series didn't take off like SAO did. 

The anime finished a major arc and got to a good end point, but there was still more to the story. 

Spoiler

The whole thing about reaching level 10 and getting to talk to the developer of Brain Burst never happened.

I assume there are more books the anime never covered.  Actually looks like books are still being released.  So it is doing well enough to keep getting published, but not animated, I suppose, and if I had to guess, doesn't have an ounce of the merch and games, etc SAO has. And in the past few years only one new book has come out per year, when 3 used to come out per year.

I don't think the art style or character design is as good as SAO.  I can see a lot of people seeing Haruyuki and being turned off.  He's not only a fat kid, but he looks like he is drawn in a totally different art style than the others.  Then the other characters look exceedingly thin and slim.  Maybe this was by design, I don't know.  Mainly most of the characters looks' are not as good or appealing as SAO's, at least to me.

719db95c6734122db9bbef09731597b6.jpg

And those robots definitely don't look as cool as the avatars of the SAO characters, GGO, or the Underworld characters.  Taku's Cyan Pile looked pretty cool, and Scarlet Rain's mecha weapons platform thing was cool, but most were eh or lame looking.  Especially with Haruyuki's Silver Crow, looks so plain and minimalist.  And kept making me think of Pepsi Man.  Kirito's outfits in the games are pretty simple, but at least he looks cool! 

I think the fantasy setting of the SAO VR worlds also probably has more appeal than the futuristic sci-fi setting to Brain Burst. 

The anime definitely did not get the nice art and animation, production values SAO gets either.  Wasn't terrible or anything, but was nothing to write home about, either. 

Spoiler

And Haruyuki is almost TOO pathetic and self-loathing at first, and then he puts Kuroyukihime on a pedestal above himself, I can see people being put off by that.  Thankfully the character does grow and gain more confidence.

Also the Neuralinker device and Brain Burst program seem to do almost anything the author needs them to lol.

Something I did appreciate is how the show criticizes gaming addiction.  The characters get obsessed with this game to the point it starts to detract from their daily life, which is never a good thing to happen with any hobby, of course. 

Spoiler

Then things get worse when their non-gamer friend gets roped into things as part of that Nomi bully guy's plans.  Chi joins the game because she feels Haru and Taku are drifting away from her as they more and more obsessed with this game, and she of course gets taken advantage of by Nomi and becomes part of his blackmailing plot. 

So after everything is said and done the characters seemed to have learned there needs to be a healthy balance between gaming and real life.

But yeah, a pretty decent show. I wouldn't mind seeing the story continue.  The way it was set up it could definitely go on for a while.  But I see there are quite a few light novels beyond what the anime covered.  I just hope it didn't get dragged out too much.  I wonder if any more will get animated.  I did see that a movie was made.  So maybe I'll watch that next.

I just found this website. 

https://animenextseason.com/anime-continue/accel-world-season-2

These could be some reasons why Accel World didn't get more seasons.  The guy actually created the website initially because he couldn't figure out why Accel World hadn't gotten a second season, haha.

Oh and that Eric Kimerer, he could have played Deku, with how his performance was here. Actually, Haruyuki and Deku are kind of similar characters.  I was surprised to learn this guy played Sonic in One Punch Man since the characters don't sound remotely similar to me at all.

Edited by ben0119

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

is he?

I mean he's OBSESSED with having his female characters get raped in increasingly excessive ways and he apparently thinks all American people are bloodthirsty monsters so draw your own conclusions

Forgot to mention this last week, but my dermatologist removed a 2 inch excision from my back around a severely dysplastic mole she said had a high chance of turning cancerous.  I'm glad that was nipped in the bud but now I have to be careful with how I bend, twist, pull, etc. and I can't lift anything over 10 pounds.  You'd be surprised how much things weigh over 10 pounds.  A gallon weighs 8 & 1/3 pounds.  My cats are 12 and 14 pounds and I don't know how how I'm going to add water to my fish tank.  It has been tricky, having to work around things.  But I'm sure any anime character would just shrug this off!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, mochi said:

I mean he's OBSESSED with having his female characters get raped in increasingly excessive ways and he apparently thinks all American people are bloodthirsty monsters so draw your own conclusions

The rapes were done for cheap heel heat and he said he's not going to do that anymore.  The American players were mislead into doing what they're doing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Forgot to mention this last week, but my dermatologist removed a 2 inch excision from my back around a severely dysplastic mole she said had a high chance of turning cancerous.  I'm glad that was nipped in the bud but now I have to be careful with how I bend, twist, pull, etc. and I can't lift anything over 10 pounds.  You'd be surprised how much things weigh over 10 pounds.  A gallon weighs 8 & 1/3 pounds.  My cats are 12 and 14 pounds and I don't know how how I'm going to add water to my fish tank.  It has been tricky, having to work around things.  But I'm sure any anime character would just shrug this off!

Well I am sorry to hear you have been going through all this. However I am happy to read you are cancer free as of now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

OH GOD, least they caught it in time

• Like 2