UnevenEdge

First cultured meat restaurant opens in Israel

ZoomBubba

Less than 10 years ago a burger made with cultured meat cost $300,000. Now the same burger can be produced for $13. What's happening in Israel are the first steps toward not only the acceptance of cultured meat, but also a potential market for designer food:

At a new restaurant in Tel Aviv called The Chicken, the chicken on the menu is grown from cells in a bioreactor in an adjacent pilot plant visible through a glass window. Diners don’t pay for their meals; instead, SuperMeat, the startup making the “cultured chicken” meat, is asking for feedback on its products, as it prepares for large-scale production of food that it thinks can transform the industry.

The main item on the menu, the Chicken Burger—a crispy cultured chicken fillet served on a brioche bun with toppings—looks and tastes like conventionally-produced chicken. “The burger has a juicy chicken flavor, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside,” says Ido Savir, CEO of the startup. “Feedback from multiple tasting panels was consistent that it was indistinguishable from conventionally manufactured chicken, and simply a great-tasting chicken burger.”

If it becomes widespread, cellular agriculture could have several advantages over traditional animal agriculture. Instead of having chickens stuffed in overcrowded buildings—a scenario that’s cruel to chickens, leads to the overuse of antibiotics, and could lead to the next deadly pandemic by spreading a virus from animals to humans—no chickens would be involved at all.

The process is far faster and more efficient than raising animals. “Once the desired animal mass is achieved, it allows harvesting approximately half the meat every day,” says Savir. “It is metaphorically the equivalent of having a farm of 1,000 mature chickens, and harvesting 500 mature chickens out of that farm every day endlessly.” The “meat” is produced directly, without the intervening step of slaughtering and butchering. Done right, with renewable energy, the process can also cut the environmental footprint of meat, since it uses fewer resources.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90572093/at-the-first-lab-grown-meat-restaurant-you-can-eat-a-cultured-chicken-sandwich

Keep in mind, we may be some time away. But as the technology progresses, sometime in the future you may go into a restaurant and not only be given the choice of "medium rare or well done" but also options for texture and taste. It may sound weird in 2020, but in 2030 you may have already started eating this stuff.

I mean I love food. I really reaaaaaly love food, but uhh no let me sit down and eat this sports car priced sandwich.. There better be enough calories in it to make me fat enough to roll out of there when I'm done, and also enough fat on me to insulate my body through a homeless winter. This is the shit that's wrong with the world if you ask me..  Well I mean was wrong in this case I guess, but I'm famaliar with the prices attached to heavily sought after foods around the world. Shit like $200 Japanese square watermelons for a random, but less extreme example. :|

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

5 minutes ago, Naraku4656 said:

idk i'd be willing to try it. i wouldn't pay out the ass for it and if i didn't like it i'd just go back to regular meat but once hopefully wouldn't kill me

I did get carried away with myself again.. My boss is italian and always talks about random italian cured meats, authentic canolies, and baked goods and he does make the shit sound like it's to die for. I'd try what would be an exotic sports car priced sandwich for $13 bucks though why not?

2 hours ago, Poof said:

honest question... since we're culturing the meat now and we don't have to kill an organism... does this mean we can... finally... serve up human meat? commercially? in full view of the public?

just asking

Probably, though, I'm guessing it would still be taboo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I mean I love food. I really reaaaaaly love food, but uhh no let me sit down and eat this sports car priced sandwich..

It's not the price of a sports car.  The cost of the patties are expected to drop to $10 next year, largely because production is being upscaled. The meat at the Israeli Restaurant is free because they want feedback from customers.

The price of producing a burger patty made from lab-grown meat is expected to drop to $10 by 2021, according to Dutch food technology company Mosa Meat and Spain-based Biotech Foods. Mosa Meats co-founder Mark Post created the first lab-grown beef burger (using a small amount of animal cells grown in a lab setting) in 2013 at a cost of €250,000 ($280,400)—funded by Google co-founder Sergey Brin—but Mosa Meat and Biotech Foods say production costs have fallen dramatically since then. The average cost of producing a kilogram of lab-grown meat (also known as cultured meat) is now about €100 ($112) which is significantly lower than the $800 cited a year ago by Israeli biotech company Future Meat Technologies. “The burger was this expensive in 2013 because back then it was novel science and we were producing at a very small scale,” a Mosa Meat spokeswoman told media outlet Reuters. “Once production is scaled up, we project the cost of producing a hamburger will be around €9 ($10).” And they could ultimately become even cheaper than a conventional burger, the spokesperson said. A number of companies have invested in research and development of lab-grown meat in recent years. Biotech Foods hopes to reach production scale of its meat and have regulatory approval by 2021, when it expects to begin generating revenue. Earlier this year, animal agriculture feed supplier Cargill announced its investment in lab-grown meat company Aleph Foods to help the startup brings its slaughter-free steak to market.

https://vegnews.com/2019/7/price-of-lab-grown-meat-to-plummet-from-280000-to-10-per-patty-by-2021

There's also companies that specialize in the research of cultured fats in order to improve taste and texture:

The Belgian startup company Peace of Meat produces cultured fats for a range of cultured and plant-based foodstuffs. With a B2B focus, the company aims to help other manufacturers improve the flavor and texture of cultured meat products such as hybrid chicken nuggets. Chief Product Officer Eva Sommer is hopeful that cultured animal fats can ultimately support the development of more complex structured meat cuts such as steaks.

https://www.supertrends.com/cultured-fats-for-food/

This is what I mean about designer food being on the horizon. It's not just going to be producing this meat without an animal, but also making food that's specifically meant for the individual.

3 hours ago, Poof said:

honest question... since we're culturing the meat now and we don't have to kill an organism... does this mean we can... finally... serve up human meat? commercially? in full view of the public?

just asking

Old person, middle aged, smoker, alcoholic,  teen, babies..... gotta try em all.... 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jman said:

If they can keep bringing the price down and cutting down on the carbon footprint, well...let me just say investing in this over plant based substitute companies is my advice.

Tyson and Cargill have already done that. We're in the phase where the public is still apprehensive about it, but that's been the way of all technological advances.

7 minutes ago, Poof said:

maybe I don't actually hate ppl after all

Kevin Bacon bacon anyone?

Bite Labs wants to grow meats from celebrity tissue to make into artisanal salami.

James Franco tastes "arrogant, distinctive and completely undeniable." Jennifer Lawrence will have "a charming and confident flavor profile." And Kanye West salami is best paired with "strong straight bourbon," according to Bite Labs.

The company wants to "prompt widespread discussion about bioethics, lab-grown meats and celebrity culture," wrote "Kevin" from the Bite Labs team in an e-mail to the USA TODAY Network.

Currently, Jennifer Lawrence is the most popular candidate for a celebrity salami, Kevin said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/02/27/celebrity-salami-bite-labs/5861595/

Spoiler

It was a hoax, but many people bought into it.

19 minutes ago, ZoomBubba said:

Tyson and Cargill have already done that. We're in the phase where the public is still apprehensive about it, but that's been the way of all technological advances.

Took a while to get people on board with plant based meats, and this actually tastes like meat...because it is.  I’m optimistic things will turn around, even if I probably won’t see a Star Trek style replicator in my lifetime.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jman said:

Took a while to get people on board with plant based meats, and this actually tastes like meat...because it is.  I’m optimistic things will turn around, even if I probably won’t see a Star Trek style replicator in my lifetime.

Maybe not, but we do have food printers. They're limited right now, but eventually we may be able to break things down to a handful of proteins, starches and sugars so that we would have the biological goo to create almost anything at a cellular level. I figure we'll eventually see fast food line cooks replaced by them.

So whatever the "Less than ten years ago a burger made from cultured meat cost $300,000 was what I was commenting on earlier, but that wall quote goes on about lab grown meat supposedly the same quality as italies 'fine' cultured meats? Oh this... I've caught a lot of this, and I'm not that enthused by the process, and still wondering where that $300,000 is coming from in the context of a burger patty, but sure.. Yeah good shit. Oh Mosa made their first lad grown meat burger for $300,000.. By 'cultured' you meant fucking grown in a lab from a cell culture... burp. Post digested. Good work though Mosa. 

I'm pretty sure I've went down this rabbit hole before other than Nabs garbage DF thread though sigh.. I still want the money for that Impossible whopper too. You know who you are. I mean I'm all for the process becoming more 'economically viable' though..