UnevenEdge

Gemusetto Death Beats Initial Thoughts?

CountFrylock

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I'm now convinced this was a desperation move by demarco and crew because there's no way they honestly thought that would be a good fit for toonami

They must have seen SyFy’s awful Magical Girl Friendship Squad and went “how can we out-fail that?”

Look, I get it.  Budgets are tight, dubs pacing has slowed, and this avoids both of those problems in a way SSSS.GRIDMAN wouldn’t.  But still.  Guess we’ll see how the ratings did.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I'm now convinced this was a desperation move by demarco and crew because there's no way they honestly thought that would be a good fit for toonami

A friend told me this was a replacement when they realized they could get the Uzumaki or Pirate anime in time.

I enjoyed it, though I can tell why others would think of it as shit. Sometimes shows as weird as these just aren't up some people's respective alleys, both figurative and literal. Even I'll admit, watching it in the open brings with it a sort of inner shame. Also, while the art style is definitely more appealing to the eyes, the overall product is still inferior to the first season. At least, based on these first two episodes, it is.

11 hours ago, Sketch said:

They actually probably do think its a fine fit for Toonami, in the "weird stuff" category like Pop Team Epic and Ballmastrz.

And I quite enjoyed the first two episodes of this season.

Ironically, the 2nd episode of this and maybe the first half of Ass Class is really about all I saw live on Toonami last night. As someone with a robust social life, I rely heavily on my DVR to watch Toonami, especially during football season.

However, I did not bother to DVR this because I knew it's getting an encore tonight at 1:15 AM ET (12:15 my time). Need to catch up on the first half, too!

One of the worst things I've ever seen on [as], and historically I've liked a lot of their more out-there series.  I didn't even understand what the hell it was trying to do.  Like, is it meant to be an anime parody?  Because it's not.  At all.  Ballmastrz had many explicit anime references (including some deep cuts) and captured the overall shounen anime tone very well.  Perfect Hair Forever was more of a broader anime parody, and honestly poked just as much fun at Williams Street themselves.  But this...this is incoherent nonsense.  I tried giving it my honest attention for a few minutes but just couldn't do it.  Even the voicework was painful.

• Like 2
  • D'oh 1

42 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Like, is it meant to be an anime parody?  Because it's not.  At all.

Yeah, this seems to be more of its own weird thing than a concrete parody, but the prequel, Gemusetto Machu Picchu, is definitely an anime parody, or at least meant to be one.

Edited by PokeNirvash

It is just annoying, unfunny, obnoxious garbage.  The irritating voice acting with the apparently intentionally hot mics and the horrible "jokes" are intolerable.  How the fuck did the show creator or Demarco think this shit is funny?  I honestly wonder if Demarco is trying to troll the audience.  

I wonder how quickly it could be canceled or moved if the ratings are disastrous enough.

I honestly think this might be the show I dislike the most out of anything they've aired.

• D'oh 1

On 11/8/2020 at 2:26 AM, Sketch said:

They actually probably do think its a fine fit for Toonami, in the "weird stuff" category like Pop Team Epic and Ballmastrz.

And I quite enjoyed the first two episodes of this season.

It comes off as Demarco is trolling or delusional and out of touch, and of course indulging in his nepotism.

Were you drunk or on something?

39 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

It comes off as Demarco is trolling or delusional and out of touch, and of course indulging in his nepotism.

I have broad tastes Ben. I don't need drugs or alcohol to watch dry comedies.

That said, I didn't like episodes 3 and 4 as much as the first two.

12 hours ago, ben0119 said:

What about any of this shit is funny?  It's just obnoxious.

Clever word play and sight gags. The lime tangent. The unusual choice of having Keith plug up Makasu’s urethra. That’s oddly specific so it gets more of laugh from me than if he stuck his tongue up his nose or mouth or ass.

21 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Nepotism? Do you even know what that word means? Did he hire his children??

I didn't watch it last night, but thank goodness I've got Second Chance Sunday tonight at 12:15 AM CT!

On 11/15/2020 at 10:56 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Nepotism? Do you even know what that word means? Did he hire his children??

I didn't watch it last night, but thank goodness I've got Second Chance Sunday tonight at 12:15 AM CT!

He is friends with the guy.  Same thing.  Favoritism, whatever you want to call it.  Actually I just looked up the definition of nepotism and friends is covered under it, so I was right to begin with. That and Demarco is desperate to fill a time slot.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:09 AM, PokeNirvash said:

Quit acting like a douchebag, Ben, and just accept the fact that people have different tastes in humor than you.

You're the one acting like a douchebag when I didn't say anything to you.  But for some reason you're getting offended over this garbage show.  It's not like I'm the only one burying it, either. 

Different tastes are good and all, but surely Demarco would have been able to tell that something like this would not be palatable to most of Toonami's audience, but he put it on anyway.  And now we see the result.  Ratings bomb and most of the audience is ripping it.

• D'oh 1

On 11/15/2020 at 4:54 PM, Sketch said:

Clever word play and sight gags. The lime tangent. The unusual choice of having Keith plug up Makasu’s urethra. That’s oddly specific so it gets more of laugh from me than if he stuck his tongue up his nose or mouth or ass.

It is just annoying to look at and especially to listen to, and just goes off on these random nonsensical tangents.  The urethra thing is about as juvenile as it gets, man.  Just the fact of anything being shoved up any orifice in that scene and context.

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

You're the one acting like a douchebag when I didn't say anything to you.  But for some reason you're getting offended over this garbage show.  It's not like I'm the only one burying it, either.

When it comes down to it, it's a mix of my recurring issues towards people disliking shows I have even a tiny bit of appreciation towards (which is more immediate than long-term, meaning I'll get over your overall dislike sooner than never), and that whenever I see you voice your opinion on this show, you basically say the same things about it every time, which comes off as repetitive.

Edited by PokeNirvash

On 11/20/2020 at 12:25 AM, ben0119 said:

It is just annoying to look at and especially to listen to, and just goes off on these random nonsensical tangents.  The urethra thing is about as juvenile as it gets, man.  Just the fact of anything being shoved up any orifice in that scene and context.

You're talking to a guy who busts out laughing at the ipecac scene in Family Guy and the time Master Shake couldn't stop vomiting after drinking something that was supposed to make Meatwad puke up Frylock's microchip. I greatly enjoy lowbrow body function humor. And with that said, I'm pretty sure I've never seen a show specifically use the urethra for a "stick something in something" gag. Not even in something like Big Head which is loaded with anatomy jokes.

I also like some dry British comedies, sketch comedy like Monty Python and The Whitest Kids You Know, movies like Anchorman or Billy Madison and spoofs like Space Balls and Kung-Pow Enter the Fist. Generally I have a greater appreciation for witty jokes than crass ones but like I said, some anatomy jokes and particularly puke scenes tend to crack me up. I just remembered that pie eating contest bit from Stand by Me. That was a riot.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:31 AM, PokeNirvash said:

When it comes down to it, it's a mix of my recurring issues towards people disliking shows I have even a tiny bit of appreciation towards (which is more immediate than long-term, meaning I'll get over your overall dislike sooner than never), and that whenever I see you voice your opinion on this show, you basically say the same things about it every time, which comes off as repetitive.

Well the show keeps doing the same things so there's no real reason for my commentary to change lol.

20 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i think the issue comes from the fact that silly adultswim shows like this just don't fit on a block known for kickass fights and action

It doesn't fit at all despite the creator allegedly being an anime fan.  But that would be ok if it was at least funny and tolerable to watch.  But it isn't.

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

You're talking to a guy who busts out laughing at the ipecac scene in Family Guy and the time Master Shake couldn't stop vomiting after drinking something that was supposed to make Meatwad puke up Frylock's microchip. I greatly enjoy lowbrow body function humor. And with that said, I'm pretty sure I've never seen a show specifically use the urethra for a "stick something in something" gag. Not even in something like Big Head which is loaded with anatomy jokes.

I also like some dry British comedies, sketch comedy like Monty Python and The Whitest Kids You Know, movies like Anchorman or Billy Madison and spoofs like Space Balls and Kung-Pow Enter the Fist. Generally I have a greater appreciation for witty jokes than crass ones but like I said, some anatomy jokes and particularly puke scenes tend to crack me up. I just remembered that pie eating contest bit from Stand by Me. That was a riot.

I have to say I fell off with Family Guy years ago.  It became a parody of itself basically.  Or maybe there is a limit to how far Seth McFarlane's humor can go, or at least one's enjoyment of it.  I did notice that even as Family Guy declined in quality, American Dad was still pretty good for a while.  But I haven't watched either in years.  I enjoyed Aqua Teen but that did seem to run its course eventually.  Never heard of Big Head.

I knew all of these except for Whitest Kids You Know, and would agree most of them are pretty funny.  Sadly you don't hear Kung Pow mentioned too often.  True enough the anatomy jokes can work and be funny at times, other times not so much.  But man, is Gemmesutto ever unworthy to be mentioned or compared alongside all the stuff you just did!  And I mentioned how I fell out with Family Guy and Aqua Teen but I'd rather watch the worst years of those shows over Gemmesutto Death Beats any day!

Edited by ben0119

Oh I meant Big Mouth the Netflix cartoon.

I dunno, I think Aqua Teen could have kept going. It wasn't always in top form but it was usually entertaining. Squidbillies is still going (I don't hate that show for the record but it's no Aqua Teen) so why couldn't ATHF?

Family Guy much like The Simpsons has settled into a groove of mediocrity, only with much more politics. American Dad is still very funny and surprisingly not that political, Seth mainly voices on that and Family Guy now as opposed to writing them. I can't really think of an American Dad episode that I didn't find amusing.

• Like 1

I don't believe the show has even aired on [as] since then. I know there was a marathon planned to air in July or something, but it got pulled at the last minute. It actually seems like the whole thing got Jimmy Rebeled. But then again, a few episodes ARE still streaming!

Edited by OwlChemist81