UnevenEdge

One Piece Film: Gold - In theaters January 10th thru 17th - Tickets on sale now.

moose

As been stated, the film will run for a limited time in U.S theaters January 10th thru 17th.

I expect that this will reach a few theaters that are about an hour and a half or 2 hours or so from where I live (Usually those theaters are the closest theaters to where I live that regularly show limited release anime films. Like the Spirited Away returning to theaters (dub) on 12/4/2016 showing)

There is a very good chance that I am seeing this on the big screen if that is the case

Um, this has nothing to do with the MPAA.  It costs actual money to get movies in theaters, and anime is a very niche-audience sort of thing that's never going to warrant a wide release.

after Spirited away won an Oscar it and (most of) Hayao Miyazaki's other movies got full releases stateside

after Spirited away won an Oscar it and (most of) Hayao Miyazaki's other movies got full releases stateside

Miyazaki films are probably the only anime films that are taken seriously... and they STILL only receive a limited release.

DBZ being as popular as it is, and it STILL only gets a limited release.

Pokemon too. No longer is it given a wide release like the first 3 movies.

The sad truth is, casual people in America don't really care for anime and if these films were given a wide-release they'd most likely fail. Sad truth.

Maybe one day we'll have GOOD anime live-action movies that are summer-blockbusters ala the Marvel and DC movies. But until then....

Let's just be glad One Piece is getting any kind of US theatrical release. I honestly never thought I would see that happen.  And given that its going on for a whole week (instead of like 2 days like other smaller limited releases) that tells me that the amount of theaters showing it should be semi-decent for this type of thing. I'm hype, anyway. I've heard good things about Film Gold and that trailer makes it look fun.

Miyazaki films are probably the only anime films that are taken seriously... and they STILL only receive a limited release.

DBZ being as popular as it is, and it STILL only gets a limited release.

Pokemon too. No longer is it given a wide release like the first 3 movies.

The sad truth is, casual people in America don't really care for anime and if these films were given a wide-release they'd most likely fail. Sad truth.

Maybe one day we'll have GOOD anime live-action movies that are summer-blockbusters ala the Marvel and DC movies. But until then....

Let's just be glad One Piece is getting any kind of US theatrical release. I honestly never thought I would see that happen.  And given that its going on for a whole week (instead of like 2 days like other smaller limited releases) that tells me that the amount of theaters showing it should be semi-decent for this type of thing. I'm hype, anyway. I've heard good things about Film Gold and that trailer makes it look fun.

I'm pretty sure Ponyo, Arietty and the Wind Rises got wide releses, as well as Spirited away Post Oscar win

but yeah

that said the GITS live action movie will probably be a hit....whitewashing be damned

I'm pretty sure Ponyo, Arietty and the Wind Rises got wide releses, as well as Spirited away Post Oscar win

but yeah

that said the GITS live action movie will probably be a hit....whitewashing be damned

If Hollywood makes a live-action adaptation of an anime (like with GITS and that godawful DBZ live-action movie) then it would most likely be widely-released... because Hollywood made it.

Godzilla 2014 (wide release) and Shin Godzilla (limited release) is proof to that.

Basically, it's not even just anime.... In America.... if it's foreign made movie, it'll most likely just get a limited theatrical release or a straight to DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Dem's da brakes. 'Murrica

Well I can say that the live action Ruroni Kenshion films that were recently given theatrical releases in America (Via funimation) for the first time, were given the same type of limited release that I imagine a brand new animated Ruroni Kenshion movie would get if it was released this year.

The Fullmetal Alchemist Japanese live action film coming out during the winter season of 2017 will get a limited US theatrical release if it gets a US theatrical release at all I imagine.

If wide released anime films were as common here as they currently are in Japan then we'd be seeing a new anime film in theaters almost every week and that would incredibly awesome. However we are quite a long ways away from that in the United States, but nowadays there seems to be more limited release anime films in theaters than there ever used to be years ago (Even sometimes for more obscure anime properties). So we are slowly making progress

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the previous trailer was just the teaser. Here's the actual 2 minute trailer containing quite a hefty amount of the new dub --

Tesoro is voiced by the same guy who voices Hisoka from Hunter X Hunter's dub.

Also, tickets seem to already be on sale if you check Fandango. I've already got 3 theaters near me showing the film and apparently there will be more coming up as well, so it looks like FUNi managed to get quite a good amount of theaters to show the film.... for a limited release, anyway. Good news.

Here's a link that shows the current list of showings, which is still being updated so they will have more in the upcoming days --

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2016/11/29/one-piece-film-gold-north-american-release-dates-locations/

Also, this is a thing --

584062ffbe754-lWfpov3.jpg

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/12/01/win-a-trip-to-otakon-vegas/

http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/onepiecegold/

FUNi finally added a theater locator to the U.S Film Gold website so now it's easy to find a theater showing near you.

And I gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised by how many theaters are actually showing this. I thought it would be hard to find a showing, but I've found at least 4 theaters no further away from me than 25 mins. Two are even 10 mins away. Pretty cool.

http://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/onepiecegold/

FUNi finally added a theater locator to the U.S Film Gold website so now it's easy to find a theater showing near you.

And I gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised by how many theaters are actually showing this. I thought it would be hard to find a showing, but I've found at least 4 theaters no further away from me than 25 mins. Two are even 10 mins away. Pretty cool.

wow......there's even a theater within my reach....I wasn't expecting that either

Looks like it. A few theaters I've tried out seem to be sold out on certain days already, so it might be happening. Keep in mind this is still a limited release with one showing per day so that could easily happen.

The list of theaters, though, is pretty good for this kind of release. That should be telling.

Jman, in all seriousness, I really think you sell OP short solely due to it's performance on Toonami. Which in the end, isn't even all that bad if you factor in how retention usually works on the block.

• 3 weeks later...

Too bad this one got watched about a third as much!

They seem to be making many promos and clips and giving exclusivity to various clips to diffrent websites/outlets. Like ANN has an exclusive clip, IGN,  Comicbook.com and other websites, so, I'm sure they have good expectations for it. Although, obviously, it's not DBZ so don't expect it to do numbers like that. It doesn't need to anyway.

god i can't imagine the weebs that would go see this.

i mean, i went to go see both parts of kizumonogatari and i still haven't forgiven myself

I don't really care what people think about me due to the media I choose to indulge in.

People who put that much stock on how other people view them due to the shows they like are pretty pathetic.

I don't really care what people think about me due to the media I choose to indulge in.

People who put that much stock on how other people view them due to the shows they like are pretty pathetic.

not rly tbqh

just don't want to have a qt3.14 see me walk out of the theatre that's airing vietnamese cartoons

god i can't imagine the weebs that would go see this.

i mean, i went to go see both parts of kizumonogatari and i still haven't forgiven myself

Some films like anything Miyazaki you can justify as being an art house connoisseur, but this?  This is gonna flop like a fat dude off a high dive.

See this proves that you don't even know what you're talking about, because even if this doesn't do numbers (something that probably won't happen since it's already sold out in several places) these type of releases can't "flop".

They're mostly used to just advertise something. You don't put out a limited release film and expect for it to be anything else other than a advertising tool for the eventual DVD release, which we already know OP does well in due to the dub already reaching the time skip.

FUNi knows what they're doing. They wouldn't be doing all this for FILM GOLD if the property has no staying power. That's just your deluded hate-boner exaggerating everything again.

Weebs wont care for this, it's not showing subbed.

That's kind of a problem since they're relying on an audience that will watch the dub but are aware of events that happen in the Dressrosa arc lest they have those things spoiled for their own viewing.

I gotta imagine there's not a huge number of people that fit that description.

I got the screener and I can honestly say I don't think it was as good as Strong World or Film Z. It's entertaining but it's more flash than substance. It's would be a fine taste of One Piece for a new viewer if not for the major spoilers.

The other one that I think is a reasonably big spoiler is...

They mention Luffy defeated Doflamingo but Sabo being alive and possessing certain powers is the biggest spoiler, Toonami-only viewers certainly wouldn't know of him but neither would dub-only viewers since FUNimation's dub has not reached the time skip yet. In case you were wondering, Sabo is voiced by Vic McNugget. I think he fits rather well though

The other one that I think is a reasonably big spoiler is...

They mention Luffy defeated Doflamingo but Sabo being alive and possessing certain powers is the biggest spoiler, Toonami-only viewers certainly wouldn't know of him but neither would dub-only viewers since FUNimation's dub has not reached the time skip yet. In case you were wondering, Sabo is voiced by Vic McNugget. I think he fits rather well though

Dub only viewers would know who he is since they have dubbed Luffy and Ace's childhood flashbacks. Part 1 of OP is actually completely released, DVD-wise. Next set will be the start of the time skip.

Of course they wouldn't know that Sabo survived the explosion and joined up with the Revolutionary Army

Also Vic MicNugget? Do you mean Vic Micnogna?

Lmao wait wait.

Is this real? You said it's a joke and I'm not sure if you're being serious or not lol...

I'm serious about the casting. It's Vic. He's not bad in the role at all but I imagine some folks will hate that he's cast as such a significant character.  I'm not a really a fan of Vic but I don't think he's a terrible actor, he's just got a grating personality.

In your opinion, how does he do the voice? Does he just do his Edward Elric voice and call it a day or does he tweak it somewhat.

And can you say who does Koala?

Sorry. It's just that these two haven't been revealed yet on any cast list and some of us OP fans are dying to know how their voices fare.

I thought Vic moved to LA and was only working for higher paying companies like Saban brands

The One Piece dub often brings in more notable voice actors for its movies.

Like  Strong World has Scott McNeil play Shiki, even though he hasn't done an anime role in years.

Keith Silverstine is playing Tesoro even though he's never done a FUNi dub.

The character Vic is playing is a lil more recurring (although he's still a ways off to appear on the actual series from where the FUNi dub is currently at) but I suppose he's still appears infrequently enough for Vic to afford playing him.

Lmao so this is kinda funny.

Apparently the Chinese version of Film Gold has numerous 'sexy' scenes edited or cut out. Here are some examples --

15895129_1557069780975845_5463896156353531887_n.jpg?oh=48850ef6a98c284cec65a1a9e7a13e17&oe=5924357C

15541247_1557069777642512_6348952141936023934_n.jpg?oh=0e013a4753a54da17162b9b7198535e5&oe=58D9C2C6 

15894916_1557069774309179_1556467656734382967_n.jpg?oh=04e3ba81dc53056eff44d64cf05113b7&oe=58E4DCC5

15823641_1557069830975840_8944318383866648141_n.jpg?oh=403815a24d32eab9c8376f4b6e5dec82&oe=58E676CE

Lmao too saucy I guess. The U.S release will most likely be uncensored of course, because FUNi is handling it.

(Also, there's a male ass-shot for you, Mochi. Have at it)