UnevenEdge

! ! ! Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time (2021) - Official Trailer ! ! !

In Flames

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, the reviews are fairly positive.  Now for the spoiler.

You ready?

Spoiler

Shinji ends up with Mari.  There is a reckoning at the end where he sinks all the pairings.  He mentions that he did like Asuka at one point, but the two are too different to make it work and any relationship they would have be inherently toxic.  By the same token, he acknowledges Kawrou's love, but feels it's an unequal relationship because of his nature of being trapped in the time loop, and rejects him.  The last scene is a happy adult Shinji at a train station, after having dealt with the time BS, being greeted by a happy adult Mari.  No choking here, just two adults flirting with each other.

Spoiler

Anno got one last troll in.  After 26 damn years of everyone arguing who's best girl, or if Shinji should get the gay ending, he chooses - None of the above!

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Well, the reviews are fairly positive.  Now for the spoiler.

You ready?

Reveal hidden contents

Shinji ends up with Mari.  There is a reckoning at the end where he sinks all the pairings.  He mentions that he did like Asuka at one point, but the two are too different to make it work and any relationship they would have be inherently toxic.  By the same token, he acknowledges Kawrou's love, but feels it's an unequal relationship because of his nature of being trapped in the time loop, and rejects him.  The last scene is a happy adult Shinji at a train station, after having dealt with the time BS, being greeted by a happy adult Mari.  No choking here, just two adults flirting with each other.

Reveal hidden contents

Anno got one last troll in.  After 26 damn years of everyone arguing who's best girl, or if Shinji should get the gay ending, he chooses - None of the above!

Spoiler

To me, the biggest indicator that Anno was at his happiest was that one of his bigger troll moments was nuking the great Rei vs Asuka debate by having Asuka get with Kensuke and Shinji foregoing romance altogether save for shipteasing him with Mari.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I want to avoid spoilers until I can actually watch the movie via my Blu Ray Player at home...having said that it could be like 2 years.

I have a friend who lives in Japan who JUST finished Eva TV + End of Eva and I'm trying to convince him to go see Rebuild 4 in theaters after watching movies 1-3....he's worried he won't fully understanding it without subtitles, and I'm over here trying to convince him he has a once in a lifetime opportunity...