UnevenEdge

Black Clover Character Poll Results

CountFrylock

The incestual attraction, the age gap, the fact that it comprised his screen time so much early on that it defines him even when Marie goes unmentioned for an entire episode... Yep, Gauche's one-note gag is definitely the objective worst out of everyone's in BC.

(Even though Grey's stupid squiggly mouth pisses me off more.)

On 9/4/2020 at 9:54 PM, CountFrylock said:

the lack of mereoleona disappoints me

Agreed.
How do Gauche and Leopold get more votes than her...

Vanessa should be in there too after her arc where she got the red cat.

Noel and Secre back to back at 5 and 6 after Yuno.

Charlotte's way higher than I expected considering how little screen time she's had.
Was this poll taken during the Yami and Charlotte (taken over by the elf) team up part? lol

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Agreed.
How do Gauche and Leopold get more votes than her...

Vanessa should be in there too after her arc where she got the red cat.

Noel and Secre back to back at 5 and 6 after Yuno.

Charlotte's way higher than I expected considering how little screen time she's had.
Was this poll taken during the Yami and Charlotte (taken over by the elf) team up part? lol

Mereoleona deserves more respect honestly....certainly more than leopold(why the hell is he here?!)

• Like 2

You know what, I think now's as good a time as any for me to finally put my personal ranking for the Black Bulls down on digital paper. Remember these are my opinions, so don't go saying I'm objectively wrong or anything if you choose to verbally disagree. It only makes your hate for BC look tryhard, like "calling your kid Asta is literal child abuse!" before it.

First place is easy: Yami Fucking Sukehiro. Bathroom issues aside, he's a flawless character. Strong, buff, gives very little of a shit about most things, and entertaining to boot. If there's one objective to this list, it's that he is the best.

Second place goes to Secre. Unlike everyone else below her on this list, she doesn't have a one-note gimmick, so that puts her light years ahead of everyone else. Also she spent most of her screentime as a bird, and she was great then. Nothing about her is obnoxious or abrasive, and as little character as she has otherwise, that puts her at the top of the list for tolerability. Plus she's voiced by Monica Rial. I can't hate one of Monica's characters, no matter how much the Vic stans want me to.

Third place is Gordon. I was a little disturbed by his design early on in the show's run, and it can be difficult at times to understand what he's saying, but he's truly grown to become one of my favorites as of recent, especially the episode with his family (which I think upped the volume of his whispers on purpose). He's a great guy who cares about his friends, even if his way of showing it is more than a little much.

Fourth place... I'm gonna have to give it to Zora. He definitely has flaws to him - his backstory is pretty rote stuff, his mouth movements make it look like he has an unhinged jaw, and the "rainbow stinkbug" gag is pretty juvenile - but past his Dimestore Hisoka look is a "who gives a shit" attitude that, like Yami's, I can respect. Plus he's voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch. I can't hate one of JYB's characters, no matter how much those who were annoyed by his portrayal of Renton Thurston want me to.

This is where the rankings start to get tough and penetrate the top layer of subjective territory. A tier consisting of characters I like, but annoy me from time to time.

First is Magna. I've gone on record saying that the flexibility of his "wannabe macho man" bit has made him one of the less dreadful of the Bulls whenever they remind the audience of what they're all about 99% of the time. That's part of the reason why he's up there. The rest is Ian Sinclair's portrayal of him. Even at his most obnoxious, you can tell he's having fun with the role. Godspeed, Virgin Street Punk Dandy.

Next is Finral. When he's playing the sane man, the coward, or the "well done, big brother" guy, he's perfectly fine. When he's hitting on the ladies, however... yeesh. You can only take so much of it, and that's the one thing I agree with Langris on.

After that is Charmy. She's got some great gags when she's on her own, and even the food stuff is enjoyable when done right, but the food stuff is relied on so often during the "multiple character tics at once" routine that it grates on the nerves, even more than Finral's lady-craziness. Really, he and her are interchangeable, depending on my mood. Finral = Charmy on this ranking, is what I'm saying.

Following up is the manlet of the hour: Asta [no last name given]. It's been in my nature to root for even the most heinous of "the" main characters since South Park put Stan through the wringer twice - one of which had an extremely depressing lack of a resolution - so of course I was gonna like Asta from the first episode. I'll confess, his "confessing to Sister Lily" gag really isn't funny, but the concept of him having oneitis for a nun of all people is just hilarious to me, to the point where I've joked about it numerous times, from asides in my commentary to making an effortful photoshop out of a Shadbase comic panel. And yes, I'm still planning on writing that "nun fetish epiphany" fanfic; I'm just trying to figure out a believable portrayal of the post-timeskip (because Asta's gonna be 18 in this) given what's going on in the story right now. Luckily, the fact that he spends more time away from Sister Lily than closeby has made that gag less of a consistent concern, so it's strength, determination, and obliviousness for him as far as the gags go, and compared to the rest, they ain't no huge deal. I'll wrap it up here before I get too carried away in justifying my opinions on the human scream generator.

Insert Henry here. There's not much for me to think about with him, and the long drawn-out dialogue can get old if you ingest too much of it. An appropriate analog to him sapping your mana if you're too close in proximity.

And then there's Vanessa. Definitely attractive, alright when it comes to serious plot, but when you have two character quirks abused for as many cheap laughs out of the low-IQ half of the fanbase as possible, it's actually twice as annoying. I don't blame Angel for losing interest in her. But for what it's worth, I'm making sure her "pot potatoes could be a decent bar snack" line from episode 30 sees fruition in one of my many story ideas. You probably know which one it'll be.

Teetering the edge between this tier and the next is Noelle. Tsunderes are not my favorite character archetype, but I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt if they're dere-dere enough, or their tsun-tsun antics tickle my humerus. Noelle is neither. While I enjoy seeing her development as a mage, and pity her for living with a family of douchebags for most of her life, she is probably the most quick-to-violence tsundere I've ever seen. Attacking Asta whenever she's the least bit embarrassed at his accidental flirtations is beyond groan-worthy, and you don't even need to like Asta to know where I'm coming from with this. She's not the most impulsive-to-violence tsundere on Toonami Swim - seriously, Tokine, slapping Yoshimori across the face for almost saying "cockroach" is just a bitch move for the sake of being a bitch move - but she certainly ranks near the bottom in that regard.

This is where I insert the power gap, because after this come the bottom three. My least favorite Black Bulls.

Technically the best among them is Luck. Man, this kid is the textbook example of having your defining character trait be your only character trait. Every time he's on screen, every time he has a line, it's always about how much he loves fighting, how much he wants to fight a certain character, and how exciting whatever dangerous thing that happens to him is. Not even in his tragic backstory or Clover Clips can his fight fetishism be escaped. Even Asta's nun love pales in comparison to Luck's perpetual fightboner. Hopefully, with the super-powerful Spade guy's aura having finally rendered him limp, he'll start showing more than just how much cruisin' for a bruisin' he's willing to do.

Having watched over 300 individual titles (according to MAL) spanning a wide range of obscurities to completion and coming out the other side relatively unscathed, I'm anime-savvy enough that incest and lolicon don't bother me as much as it does your casual anime watcher. But Gauche... Man. Fuck his gimmick. It's been repeated in this thread several times before, and here I am repeating it again. Nothing screams controversy like a character on the good guys' side who has an unhealthy obsession with his sister whose age hasn't even reached double digits yet, to the point of nosebleeding. The one thing worse than him wanting to bang his imouto is that, for the first three cours of the series, it's all he ever talks about. Marie this, Marie that, can I see Marie now, don't you dare touch Marie... I can put up with a lot of bullshit from so many obnoxious anime characters, but Gauche doesn't have to scream his lungs out, warp his speech patterns, or make nonsense verbal tics to make the audience's eyes glaze over in the hopes of sweet release from either watching Black Clover or straight up living with how much he goes on and on about his dear sister. The only reason he isn't dead last is because, while his gimmick is still a major problem with him as a character, killing whatever intrinsic likability he could possibly have on him, he's lately started to talk about more than just his sister. Joining Asta and Finral on coming up with theories on who does Nozel's hair was the first sign of that, telling Noelle "Like hell you're giving up on my watch!" when she perfected her control over Sea Dragon's Lair was the second, and more extensive moments like playing the sane man in a group of three and reacting like the biggest casual to the spookiness of Gordon's family proved that, when he isn't doing the whole Polaroid-and-nosebleed routine, Gauche could actually be tolerable. Still a freak, though. Still a freak.

Which means that last place goes to Grey. Before the reveal of her true appearance, she was the biggest non-character of the Black Bulls: a smoke-billowing giant of ambiguous gender whose face was always hidden in shadow, droned occasionally during the gimmick roll calls, and only acted like they had any character when they transformed into someone else. After the reveal, her 24/7 shyness immediately wore thin, to the point where it superseded Luck and fighting and Gauche and his sister for being the most aggressively consistent marriage of Bull to gimmick of the whole group. And her mouth during her "I'm too shy~" scenes... I fucking hate that squiggly-lined hole more than Angel hates Asta's sparkly shoujo eyes. Fuck Grey.

And there you have it. My quick rundown on where the Black Bulls rank in regards to personal stance and why that is. I will not be taking questions, comments, concerns or complaints, nor will I be ranking every single BC character on a scale of 1 to infinity. Thank you, and good night.

Edited by PokeNirvash

This is the only ranking of characters that matters:

1. Yami- The only fuckable man in this entire series. It's a shounen full of dudes, how did they screw that up? I like that he hates everything and seeing him fight is one of the few times this pathetic dumpster fire brings me anything resembling happiness. 9/10

2. Charmy- Her one-dimensional character trait is much less obnoxious than the others. Genuinely a delight to watch.

3/4- The older fire siblings. They're the only people in this show with any semblance of a brain. She's angry and hates everyone, and I respect her for it. He's J. Michael Goddamn Tatum, and I would follow that man into hell after a rousing speech, no questions asked.

Everyone else- I genuinely would not care if they died painfully on screen, and would in fact prefer it for most of them.

Absolute last place- Gauche. I truly hate the author for creating a character whose one trait is being a pedo incest creep and then making him a good guy that we're supposed to root for. Come fight me, you Naruto-ripoff hack.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 7:40 PM, EmpressAngel said:

This is the only ranking of characters that matters:

1. Yami- The only fuckable man in this entire series. It's a shounen full of dudes, how did they screw that up? I like that he hates everything and seeing him fight is one of the few times this pathetic dumpster fire brings me anything resembling happiness. 9/10

2. Charmy- Her one-dimensional character trait is much less obnoxious than the others. Genuinely a delight to watch.

3/4- The older fire siblings. They're the only people in this show with any semblance of a brain. She's angry and hates everyone, and I respect her for it. He's J. Michael Goddamn Tatum, and I would follow that man into hell after a rousing speech, no questions asked.

Everyone else- I genuinely would not care if they died painfully on screen, and would in fact prefer it for most of them.

Absolute last place- Gauche. I truly hate the author for creating a character whose one trait is being a pedo incest creep and then making him a good guy that we're supposed to root for. Come fight me, you Naruto-ripoff hack.

Yami is pretty great, yeah.  And I like his almost 4th wall level mockery of everyone and everything in the show.

I was gonna say, there are a lot of fire users in this series for you to lust after.  You know you want Mereoleona to grab you by the head with one of her fire paws and throw you around. :D

😧

Gauche, like many of the other characters, is meant to be an over-the-top turned up to 11 parody of his character type.  Unfortunately, that results with a really gross and creepy pedo incest character, in this case.  Though I don't know if we're meant to sympathize with or root for him.  He may be on the side of the good guys but that doesn't mean he is a good person.  The other Black Bulls have voiced on multiple occasions how they don't like his behavior.  I had hoped Gauche would act more normal after his arc where we got his backstory, but alas...

Hey now, Black Clover is actually better than Naruto, if you think about it.  Asta and Yuno are actually believable and convincing as genuine best friends, and rivals, and this is pulled off in just a handful of episodes, when Naruto can't do this for its entire run.  Naruto and Sasuke's relationship consists of them being little shits to each other and Sasuke being an asshole the whole time, 3 whole "friendship moments" the show constantly flashes back to and the characters constantly saying they are best friends.  So it makes Naruto come off as either crazy or gay when he loses his shit over Sasuke leaving when their relationship was more like a coworker he was casually friendly with.  And Sasuke isn't sympathetic at all as someone you want Naruto "save from himself," much less make that plot point go on for so long or be one of the end goals of the series.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:51 PM, Top Gun said:

He wants to fuck his little sister.

I don't know what is wrong with these people.  They must not have female cousins or sisters to have this fetish.  Or if they do, they are even sicker fucks than I thought.

Maybe it has something to do with living on an island.  They are stuck on an island so they have no choice but to fuck their sisters, by their logic?  I have noticed incest seems really popular in both Japan and Britain, both island nations.  Or maybe their repressive cultures leads to more depraved perversions.  Who knows. 

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

I agree with the whacked out placements of those rankings others mentioned.  No Mereoleona, and why the fuck did so many people vote for Gauche?

I like the look of the U.S. rankings much better, haha.

there was a theory that some of it could be chalked down to a relevancy bias for the japan poll

meaning that if the character had not done anything relevant in awhile they wouldn't be getting much in the way of votes(there does seem to be exceptions though here)

which could explain mereoleona's absence on japan's poll

where as the english readers poll doesn't really care about relevancy which is why we have zora in the top 10