UnevenEdge

FUNimation drops two My Hero Academia OVA’s on FUNiNow August 15

Jman

They're not doing dubs for them yet. Just as well.

If Toonami ends up airing them, I'm thinking it would probably be next year in conjunction with the 5th season. But OVAs are sketchy at best. So far only Lupin OVAs have actually made it to air (two of Part 4 and one of Part 5). We never even got the FMA:B or AOT OVAs! We did, of course, get one OVA series (Hellsing Ultimate).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 10:17 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

They're not doing dubs for them yet. Just as well.

If Toonami ends up airing them, I'm thinking it would probably be next year in conjunction with the 5th season. But OVAs are sketchy at best. So far only Lupin OVAs have actually made it to air (two of Part 4 and one of Part 5). We never even got the FMA:B or AOT OVAs! We did, of course, get one OVA series (Hellsing Ultimate).

I could have sworn there were some other OVAs that aired.  Was there a Kill la Kill one they aired?  Maybe I am thinking of ASA.  Wasn't part of Kikaider an OVA?

Huh, just looked it up.  I didn't realize it aired all the way back in 03!  And I thought ASA aired the OVA, and a good thing they did, since it very much completes the story.  Oh, it turns out those U.S. airdates aren't wrong or a typo.  Ahh, the days when new episodes aired every day. :)

https://kikaider.fandom.com/wiki/Android_Kikaider:_The_Animation

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Kikaider:_The_Animation

I had always thought it was a darker remake of an old 70s anime, but it's actually the only anime of Kikaider, and the dark tone is apparently closer to its manga.  The live action show apparently was more light-hearted.

It can also get tricky, if you go and watch an OVA on your own after a series finishes airing, you might misremember it as the block airing it. :P

From what I can remember, the only OVA episodes of anything [as] aired were Kikaider-01 (as Ben said), the Wolf's Rain finale eps, the two special episodes of Durarara!!, the two direct-to-video episodes of Outlaw Star (one of which, naturally, was Hot Springs Planet Tenrei), and Is Lupin Still Burning?.

Oh, and FLCL S1, Read or Die, and Hellsing Ultimate, if we're counting things that were always OVAs.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 2