UnevenEdge

PC Master Race

HardcoreHunter

I use the cooler master haf xb evo case. It's wide, but shorter than a full tower and has good ventilation.

11-119-265-34.jpg

That might be too squat, since where I current keep my PC is the side of my desk with limited width. I'm not sure I want that much ventilation, anyway, since my apartment tends to be dusty, and I haven't bothered blowing it out for a while. Probably part of the reason I recently lost a gig of RAM. It's like one of those horror stories you hear about people taking computers into repair shops, and brings me much shame. 

Really, I'm just making excuses to not spend money. :(

Guest The Hound

yeah im a pc person....but ive been too afraid to fuck with my new laptop.....i just bought the new HP spectre and the ram is good for what i need but its storage is kinda a joke for what i paid for the damn thing....but its just so very thin that im hesitant to update it to a TB

Your best best is a 500 GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD.

If you CAN afford it, go the 1TB, remove your old HDD completely, or put it in the 2nd slot if your laptop has room for an expansion drive, and pirate and install or buy Windows 10 and put it on the new SSD.

SSDs are amazing if you have a large one or a raid array and have the OS installed on it.

install or buy Windows 10 and put it on the new SSD.

Yeah... no.

Install Arch Linux on it, or if you're really destitute, go find a license for Windows 7.

I know Plebbit has a sub-Reddit for cheap Windows 7 keys, but why do that when you could take some time out of your ineffectual life to install an OS that respects your privacy and rights.

i just have a laptop right now but i do plan on eventually building a new pc.

but before then i had a first gen core i7 that lasted me more than 6 years and it would have gone longer if i decided to keep it. if i were to build again i would get something in the higher end area for my cpu/mobo. a good one should still be able to game on effectively in at least 5 years. gpu on the other hand, have to be replace much sooner than that.

I have accepted that there is no privacy online. It's to the same extent of locking the front door of your home when there is a large glass window with a pile of rocks near it. It's just a sense of security, if someone wants into your stuff, they'll get into your stuff.

Agreed.

i just have a laptop right now but i do plan on eventually building a new pc.

but before then i had a first gen core i7 that lasted me more than 6 years and it would have gone longer if i decided to keep it. if i were to build again i would get something in the higher end area for my cpu/mobo. a good one should still be able to game on effectively in at least 5 years. gpu on the other hand, have to be replace much sooner than that.

My pc is reaching 5 years this spring, the only thing I have upgraded on it has been the GPU two years ago. I'm still able to run max settings on most games and still average 70fps. The far cry games are the only ones that I can think of where I have to tone down the graphics to get playable frames, but that is more due to horrible optimization on ubisofts part. Also I'm still a 1080peasant, which is good for frames. Really I don't see me upgrading resolution for a while as I would rather have smooth fast frames. I'll probably do a new build from scratch in another 2-3 years, even then I don't think it'll be all that necessary since the game market has catered to consoles so much that it has hindered pc game innovation.

• 1 year later...
Guest The Hound
9 hours ago, Aarog said:

But it’s Lee.

thread necromancy at it's finest 

thanks for bumping 

i forgot someone tried to convince people in this thread that windows 7 was the way to go LOL

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:03 AM, The Hound said:

thread necromancy at it's finest 

thanks for bumping 

i forgot someone tried to convince people in this thread that windows 7 was the way to go LOL

By Lee I mean no demon or hazard with in us.  Computers are the enemy of the resting stone in that moment.

Guest The Hound

Lul. I like how i benchmark all of my overclocks, os installs and anything else u do to a computer that can impact performance.

Let me break it down to yall.

Windows 10 is solid. The best os windows has ever released. There is plans to phase the 10 name out and just call it Windows in the near future. 

If you are having an issue with win 10 it is on YOUR end. SOMETHING you have installed, some dumbass antivirus u have running which hooks itself to the os and scans literally every little thing u do. Or its your own fault for in 2018 buying some dumbass prebuilt computer.

If u built ur own and have a current or last gen vid card and are willingly running win 7, ur a fucking idiot. Srlsy do ur research

Guest The Hound

Also i forgot. If u install win 10 it literally gives u all the options to turn off the most intrusive "tracking" features. And then once ur in and installed u can spend 30 seconds in group policy editor and turn off the rest of the small stuff....😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 minute ago, The Hound said:

Lul. I like how i benchmark all of my overclocks, os installs and anything else u do to a computer that can impact performance.

Windows 10 is solid. The best os windows has ever released. There is plans to phase the 10 name out and just call it Windows in the near future. 

If you are having an issue with win 10 it is on YOUR end. SOMETHING you have installed, some dumbass antivirus u have running which hooks itself to the os and scans literally every little thing u do. Or its your own fault for in 2018 buying some dumbass prebuilt computer.

If u built ur own and have a current or last gen vid card and are willingly running win 7, ur a fucking idiot. Srlsy do ur research

Yes, Viper, it's totally on my end that the Fall Creators update is so fucked up that people had to give out warnings about that shit. That last big update was unscheduled so my laptop woke up out of hibernation and updated when I wasn't home while everything was still running and fucked my shit up. It's not on my end that Microsoft is run by a bunch of dickholes who want to treat customers like toddlers who need their hands held and forces settings to their liking after every update despite having zero knowledge of what the computer is mainly used for, its software, or have any idea that not everyone can just lose half a day of work waiting for the update to finally end. I have to take time that I really don't have to roll back to an earlier update just so my laptop doesn't go into sleep mode every three minutes of no activity. Even people who went through the update process properly have that exact same problem, and I see tech folks constantly complaining about all the repairs they had to do because of that update so excuse me if you spend too much time with your head up your ass to notice that Windows 10 is nowhere near being perfect.

Guest The Hound

Idk man. I have 0 issues. Shit. I havent had a bluescreen that wasnt overclock related on windows 10 ever.  You must be doing something wrong.

Be hhonest, serious question...

Did u disable defender and do u have anti virus running. I will.respond appropriately 

23 minutes ago, The Hound said:

Idk man. I have 0 issues. Shit. I havent had a bluescreen that wasnt overclock related on windows 10 ever.  You must be doing something wrong.

Be hhonest, serious question...

Did u disable defender and do u have anti virus running. I will.respond appropriately 

Why would I have anything disabled for a unscheduled update while I'm not home and the laptop is in hibernation? 

Guest The Hound

lmfao i rest my case

do you actually understand what anti-virus and things like defender do?

do yourself a favor

look up how to use a computer without antvirus - ive been without any form of it since windows 10 came out

then look up how to disable things like error reporting, log keeping, and any data being sent to microsoft via group policy editor - you might need to also google how to enable it on windows 10, not all editions come with it but basically with a registry edit or two the feature can become available.

and then if that doesn't work throw the laptop into the trash and build a desktop if you're gonna complain that windows 10 isn't performing the way it should on a lemon ( which is what most laptops are)

also i never ever ever leave auto updates on

always read patch notes before patching shit

Edited by The Hound

2 hours ago, The Hound said:

lmfao i rest my case

do you actually understand what anti-virus and things like defender do?

do yourself a favor

look up how to use a computer without antvirus - ive been without any form of it since windows 10 came out

then look up how to disable things like error reporting, log keeping, and any data being sent to microsoft via group policy editor - you might need to also google how to enable it on windows 10, not all editions come with it but basically with a registry edit or two the feature can become available. No.

and then if that doesn't work throw the laptop into the trash and build a desktop if you're gonna complain that windows 10 isn't performing the way it should on a lemon ( which is what most laptops are) FUCK NO.

also i never ever ever leave auto updates on I don't have auto update selected. Neither do I. Microsoft decided to be full on asshats and forced the Fall Creators update on people no matter what their settings were. That's what "FORCED" means.

always read patch notes before patching shit

On 3/17/2018 at 6:02 PM, The Hound said:

The only thing that pisses me off about windows 10 is the layout and the dumb tablet tile shit. Other than that I'd have to agree. Plus it's great that microsoft hasn't had to patch and update this shit as much they did when I had windows 7.

5 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

The only thing that pisses me off about windows 10 is the layout and the dumb tablet tile shit. Other than that I'd have to agree. Plus it's great that microsoft hasn't had to patch and update this shit as much they did when I had windows 7.

You might want to be more specific because sharing views like, "Ermahgerd, it's your fault for not building your own computer," makes you sound like a privileged douchebag. 

14 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

You might want to be more specific because sharing views like, "Ermahgerd, it's your fault for not building your own computer," makes you sound like a privileged douchebag. 

Be more specific? I was just making general conversation in a tech oriented thread. The message should be clear. I havent experienced enough issues to justify the whole windows seven is better than windows 10 shit, and honestly even working with daws..one of which is cracked and can cause a whole lot of issues especially when dealing with the file sizes I've dealt with I havent experienced half as much driver, app, and exe issues that I'd expect with win7.

Just based off the pissed off demeanor of your post I don't really want to go into any benchmarking or overclocking stuff. I did a lot of benchmarking when I first booted this machine, but honestly I've never felt the need to overclock this processor even though my motherboard makes that as simple as a click. :|

Anybody with a shred of actual technical expertise should agree windows 10 is more streamlined and functional than 7. I started with windows 7 and upgraded from there with this machine, and I used windows 7 on several diff. computers before this one so that's just clear to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Be more specific? I was just making general conversation in a tech oriented thread. The message should be clear. I havent experienced enough issues to justify the whole windows seven is better than windows 10 shit, and honestly even working with daws..one of which is cracked and can cause a whole lot of issues especially when dealing with the file sizes I've dealt with I havent experienced half as much driver, app, and exe issues that I'd expect with win7.

Just based off the pissed off demeanor of your post I don't really want to go into any benchmarking or overclocking stuff. I did a lot of benchmarking when I first booted this machine, but honestly I've never felt the need to overclock this processor even though my motherboard makes that as simple as a click. :|

Anybody with a shred of actual technical expertise should agree windows 10 is more streamlined and functional than 7. I started with windows 7 and upgraded from there with this machine, and I used windows 7 on several diff. computers before this one so that's just clear to me.

When did I say anything about Windows 7? The dipshit you quoted was arguing that Windows 10 was totally perfect and that if people were having problems with it, it totally wasn't Microsoft's fault contrary to many people having the same issues. I'm pissed because I'm having a bad pain day, and I've got no patience for the 'You brought this on yourself for not building your own computer and buying a laptop' bullshit opinion which totally disregards the fact that not everyone has the time, strength, energy, or money to do that. 

20 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

When did I say anything about Windows 7? The dipshit you quoted was arguing that Windows 10 was totally perfect and that if people were having problems with it, it totally wasn't Microsoft's fault contrary to many people having the same issues. I'm pissed because I'm having a bad pain day, and I've got no patience for the 'You brought this on yourself for not building your own computer and buying a laptop' bullshit opinion which totally disregards the fact that not everyone has the time, strength, energy, or money to do that. 

Fair enough pol, don't mind me.. uhh Windows 10 definitely isn't perfect, what issues do you have with it then? I guess I assumed you preferred win7 since you said you didn't like 10. The point of my post was that I havent had any kind of problems that couldn't be fixed by reinstalling drivers/apps. I actually had to google windows 10 issues to find some cons, and I did find one that I'm probably going to rectify, but it's not much of an issue.. Here's some copy pasta. 

You might not know, but after installing Windows 10 the old version of the OS is hanging around in the background taking up useful space. Surprised? When you upgraded, your old version of Windows doesn't disappear. It's still in the back of the system and goes by the name "windows.old" and takes up valuable disk space. You may be asking as to why this happened and the answer is that Microsoft isn't quite as controlling as some other big tech companies. Instead of forcing users to update their hardware and never look back, Microsoft keeps a hold of the important files that made up your previous OS in the C:/ drive. This is in case you don't like the new Windows 10 and decide to change back to the previous operating system that you might be more used to.

The main reason I did the free upgrade though is win7 is supposed to lose microsoft support  in a few years anyway so I'll probably just end up freeing up that disk space.

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

54 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Fair enough pol, don't mind me.. uhh Windows 10 definitely isn't perfect, what issues do you have with it then? I guess I assumed you preferred win7 since you said you didn't like 10. The point of my post was that I havent had any kind of problems that couldn't be fixed by reinstalling drivers/apps. I actually had to google windows 10 issues to find some cons, and I did find one that I'm probably going to rectify, but it's not much of an issue.. Here's some copy pasta. 

You might not know, but after installing Windows 10 the old version of the OS is hanging around in the background taking up useful space. Surprised? When you upgraded, your old version of Windows doesn't disappear. It's still in the back of the system and goes by the name "windows.old" and takes up valuable disk space. You may be asking as to why this happened and the answer is that Microsoft isn't quite as controlling as some other big tech companies. Instead of forcing users to update their hardware and never look back, Microsoft keeps a hold of the important files that made up your previous OS in the C:/ drive. This is in case you don't like the new Windows 10 and decide to change back to the previous operating system that you might be more used to.

The main reason I did the free upgrade though is win7 is supposed to lose microsoft support  in a few years anyway so I'll probably just end up freeing up that disk space.

I didn't upgrade anything. This is a new laptop, so I was stuck with Windows 10 to begin with. The sleep/hibernation issues and forced restarts no matter what your settings are on are hell for anyone who mainly uses a laptop, works odd hours, runs several programs at once, constantly making new files, reliant on the settings chosen to keep software working properly, and have to use social media for research. Essentially, Windows 10 is a pain in the ass if you write or do art full time, and it feels like they did little testing for people who have those occupations. There's zero thought about this, and I see it with Microsoft pushing people to use Onedrive. Before the Fall Creators update, I disabled it because it was slowing down my laptop's performance. After that big update, it moved all of my files except for the Dropbox ones into Onedrive. Onedrive is not reliable enough for me to use especially since I see too many fucked over by losing years of work from a bad sync. I have bad health and little energy, and it's frustrating having to deal with these problems after every update because 'Microsoft knows best'.

• Like 1

You can change when a backup is schedule from the Restart Options or change the Active Hours for when you normally use your laptop. 

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing that forces you to actually use OneDrive, and blocks Dropbox or Google Drive from being used instead. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EyeOfPain said:

You can change when a backup is schedule from the Restart Options or change the Active Hours for when you normally use your laptop. 

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing that forces you to actually use OneDrive, and blocks Dropbox or Google Drive from being used instead. 

I don't know what you guys aren't getting when I'm saying that it was a forced update despite settings. As in it ignored ALL of the restart options that I had set, including active hours and scheduled updates. And after the last update, it won't even let me set a schedule or set active hours again. While I'm not literally being forced to use Onedrive, I'm not looking forward to playing musical folders with it every time a new update hits. That's just more wasted energy.

5 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

While I'm not literally being forced to use Onedrive, I'm not looking forward to playing musical folders with it every time a new update hits. That's just more wasted energy.

This doesn't make any sense. A sync might break if you lose network connectivity, but an OS update shouldn't change what folders are included in the sync settings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EyeOfPain said:

This doesn't make any sense. A sync might break if you lose network connectivity, but an OS update shouldn't change what folders are included in the sync settings.

It took all of my folders out of PC and moved them into Onedrive. I didn't even notice until I tried to open a picture and realized its original folder was empty. Then I clicked Onedrive out of suspicion and there were all of my folders except for Dropbox. It now has Onedrive as the default save spot, so I have to change that too.

14 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

I don't know what you guys aren't getting when I'm saying that it was a forced update despite settings. As in it ignored ALL of the restart options that I had set, including active hours and scheduled updates. And after the last update, it won't even let me set a schedule or set active hours again. While I'm not literally being forced to use Onedrive, I'm not looking forward to playing musical folders with it every time a new update hits. That's just more wasted energy.

That sounds odd. I just got a request for an update and was able to easily schedule it for a time I'm going to be at work and not on my computer. Seems like that may be an issue with the laptops stock settings and you may need to comb through your settings as an admin to fix that crap because I can definitely see the frustration there. I'd have to know more about the actual situation to say for sure though.

9 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

It took all of my folders out of PC and moved them into Onedrive. I didn't even notice until I tried to open a picture and realized its original folder was empty. Then I clicked Onedrive out of suspicion and there were all of my folders except for Dropbox. It now has Onedrive as the default save spot, so I have to change that too.

Dang I've used dropbox and I'm familiar with it, but I've never messed with onedrive. The files should be able to be moved back to where you want them, but it could be a massive headache. Something you could do is use a restore point to boot your pc from a point before the files were relocated. Just buy a flashdrive or save important files to a cloud first.

Edited by PhilosipherStoned
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Dang I've used dropbox and I'm familiar with it, but I've never messed with onedrive. The files should be able to be moved back to where you want them, but it could be a massive headache. Something you could do is use a restore point to boot your pc from a point before the files were relocated. Just buy a flashdrive or save important files to a cloud first.

That's what I'm doing next weekend when I'll have less work to do and won't be stressed out enough to make any big mistakes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 5:36 AM, SorceressPol said:

If you don't use one drive I would just go into programs and disable it. It just takes up resources running in the background. It sounds like you may have to go into windows defender and look at your permissions as well. You may have given permission to an application to backup or move your data. Also if you have set up cortana check to see if you gave it permission to move files to one drive. Either way the best method is to just disable or uninstall one drive, also run windows defender to make sure nothing messy is going on.