UnevenEdge

Oscar nominations are out, people predictably are upset

Jman

Why?  This year's nominations are probably one of the most satisfying in years, possibly in the past decade. Then again, I only care about the animated and special effects stuff. If I had to nitpick anything they would be that no anime films got nominated. This comes with GKids not getting nominated entirely for the first time in 7 years, even though they released no less than 10 films in 2019. I assume Netflix took over the spots that GKids would've gotten. Also, no women received any nomination in Best Director.

Edited by elfie

Joker's situation is probably the result of a monkey's paw wish: a superhero movie is critically acclaimed, financially successful, and gets nominated for all the awards, but in exchange... you have to live in a society.

As for the animated movies situation, I am very mildly disappointed but not surprised that no anime was nominated. And even if there were, it wouldn't be everything. I still remember the brouhaha over The Wind Rises getting snuffed out by Frozen some years ago. But in an amusing twist, the latter film's sequel isn't up for Best Animated Feature Film.

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Joker's situation is probably the result of a monkey's paw wish: a superhero movie is critically acclaimed, financially successful, and gets nominated for all the awards, but in exchange... you have to live in a society.

As for the animated movies situation, I am very mildly disappointed but not surprised that no anime was nominated. And even if there were, it wouldn't be everything. I still remember the brouhaha over The Wind Rises getting snuffed out by Frozen some years ago. But in an amusing twist, the latter film's sequel isn't up for Best Animated Feature Film.

As usual, in order for an anime film to win, it has to be distributed by Disney, and they abandoned that train years ago. Again, if you're not Disney, you barely stand a chance.