UnevenEdge

does anyone think we'll revert to having several marathons next year?

CountFrylock

or will it be like this year where the marathons are downplayed and there's fewer....i ask because i really enjoyed how marathons were less of a thing this year and so when they did happen   like the case with The DBS Finish Line marathon and this upcoming food wars marathon it doesn't feel like "Ooof Here we go again"

because in an age of streaming i don't think marathons can make me feel anything except annoyed

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elfie said:

I enjoyed it too. I don't want more than like 2 marathons a year.

same here....it's a breath of fresh air when there aren't as many marathons

every time a marathon happens it just disrupts the schedule and we're left just hanging onto the simplest crap for some shows because anything can be played off as a major cliffhanger with a marathon around the corner

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about marathons.

Like, I want the second chance to see/record certain programs if my viewing/recording is screwed up by rain showers/other events (the West Coast can help with that to some extent), but it really IS annoying to have soooooo many cliffhangers (there's usually at least 3, but rarely more than 7) extended for TWICE as long (perhaps longer) as normal.

Having a couple of shows start off the night, then going into the marathon is a nice compromise if we're going to have them, though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/25/2019 at 11:30 PM, Ric said:

Toonami should switch things up. In 2020 maybe do 50 marathons and only two weeks or premieres.

I mean don't even joke. If they actually tried to air a DBS marathon for four hours every Saturday for a year, it would probably do better than a regular lineup of Toonami.

It could go either way with the marathons next year. I had hoped that they have seen enough evidence this year that reinforces that holiday weekends aren't necessarily bad for ratings. Preferably they don't have 7 in 2020 but I doubt there will be less than 6.

• Like 1

i think all marathons do is push some people to services like funimation now because if you really enjoy something  would you wait for several weeks of holiday marathons to resume watching it or would you just go straight to funimation now and start an account there?

streaming services are such a threat to toonami that giving people more reasons to jump on board one isn't good

• Like 1

Indeed, UNLESS the streaming services are at Toonami's mercy like was the case with Attack on Titan's dub and is the case with several other dubs Toonami airs as well.

But the success of Food Wars!' marathon proves that viewers are OK with watching stuff that's been available by streaming for years! I do believe, since Season 2 is only 13 episodes long, and is likely coming in January, we'll see a dub premiere of Season 3 in April or May!

January 18th is going to be a pretty epic night for Toonami. On that night, Food Wars should be moving on to Season 2, and One-Punch Man's replacement will air. Maybe it's Mob Psycho 100 Season 2? That would make sense!

So both the 4th of July and Halloween are on a Saturday next year. You can bet that both will be marathon nights. We’re probably looking at 5 to 7 weeks off in 2020 because of that.

7 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i think all marathons do is push some people to services like funimation now because if you really enjoy something  would you wait for several weeks of holiday marathons to resume watching it or would you just go straight to funimation now and start an account there?

streaming services are such a threat to toonami that giving people more reasons to jump on board one isn't good

While part of me believes that people will do that, if we look at the performance of Dr. Stone which is a good month or so behind the dub stream, it does not seem to be hurting it significantly. It doesn’t lose to Fire Force which is only a week behind and it holds the dub premieres of OPM just fine.

Then there’s Food Wars which is years behind the streams that are widely available, and it’s doing as well as dub premieres.

Maybe some really popular shows would do better if they weren’t behind streams but it honestly doesn’t seem to matter as much as we thought. Not every potential viewer cares to pay for FUNimation on top of every other streaming service they may have.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, elfie said:

The upsetting thing is that people are actually moving back to pirating sites to combat the streaming wars, instead of sites like Funimation!  All that progress, gone.

that's what happens when there's over a dozen streaming services and people can't afford them all

Funimation Now Isn't exactly something many people would pick over disney plus or netflix

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Sad 1

On 12/6/2019 at 8:48 PM, CountFrylock said:

I'll wait because I don't have the attention span of a sperm.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:43 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Indeed, UNLESS the streaming services are at Toonami's mercy like was the case with Attack on Titan's dub and is the case with several other dubs Toonami airs as well.

But the success of Food Wars!' marathon proves that viewers are OK with watching stuff that's been available by streaming for years! I do believe, since Season 2 is only 13 episodes long, and is likely coming in January, we'll see a dub premiere of Season 3 in April or May!

January 18th is going to be a pretty epic night for Toonami. On that night, Food Wars should be moving on to Season 2, and One-Punch Man's replacement will air. Maybe it's Mob Psycho 100 Season 2? That would make sense!

Nope, the dub of season 3 will be on DVD and all the pirate sites on 2-25 https://www.rightstufanime.com/Food-Wars-The-Third-Plate-Blu-ray

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Release dates CAN and DO get pushed back! Besides, even if we don't get dub premieres of the 3rd Plate, we MIGHT get them of the 4th Plate!

I hope so. It seems like the reason to get the show was to premeire the 3rd season dub. I don’t know why it happened like this. Similar to GenLock and Mob , we got the first season and can’t premeire the second. Seems like a wasted opportunity 

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I hope so. It seems like the reason to get the show was to premeire the 3rd season dub. I don’t know why it happened like this. Similar to GenLock and Mob , we got the first season and can’t premeire the second. Seems like a wasted opportunity 

There's still hope for the 4th Plate 😰

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 3:22 AM, Sketch said:

So both the 4th of July and Halloween are on a Saturday next year. You can bet that both will be marathon nights. We’re probably looking at 5 to 7 weeks off in 2020 because of that.

While part of me believes that people will do that, if we look at the performance of Dr. Stone which is a good month or so behind the dub stream, it does not seem to be hurting it significantly. It doesn’t lose to Fire Force which is only a week behind and it holds the dub premieres of OPM just fine.

Then there’s Food Wars which is years behind the streams that are widely available, and it’s doing as well as dub premieres.

Maybe some really popular shows would do better if they weren’t behind streams but it honestly doesn’t seem to matter as much as we thought. Not every potential viewer cares to pay for FUNimation on top of every other streaming service they may have.

Well, that is interesting and somewhat unexpected to hear indeed.  Near-dub premieres, month behind premieres, old dubs, all doing well.  So maybe the streaming services don't have as much of an effect as we thought.

Marathons are still an antiquated concept in this day and age, though.  At least if they break up the normal schedule.  And it has been proven this year that the ratings don't go down that much for holidays.  I hope we stay with just a handful of marathons in 2020.  Marathons for time filler in nonessential time slots like USA does with NCIS and Law & Order are fine.

On 12/7/2019 at 11:14 PM, CountFrylock said:

that's what happens when there's over a dozen streaming services and people can't afford them all

Funimation Now Isn't exactly something many people would pick over disney plus or netflix

Some streaming services are justifiable to exist and to subscribe to.  Others, not so much.  Indeed, every network rushing to get its own service defeats the original purpose of Netflix and Hulu, with their huge libraries made them a great value.  Disney Plus is worth it for Disney's back catalog alone, to add to that Marvel, Star Wars, Fox, and their original series they are making.  Funimation is worth it due to their huge library.  They have the rights to the bulk of the anime out there.  And they even have SAO on there even though it is an Aniplex show?  I guess they must have worked out some kind of deal.  Well, I'm watching it on Funimation now since we don't have the ad-free Hulu.  But CBS All Access?  Not worth it just to watch Star Trek when I don't care about their other stuff.  I resort to unnatural methods... one not taught by a Jedi, to watch the new Trek shows.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:11 AM, Top Gun said:

I have no interest in paying to rent series that could disappear from a service at any time.  I use linear TV to watch in-the-moment broadcasts and random reruns, and if there's something I like, I buy it on physical media so I can keep it forever.

Our cable bill and internet bill is 220 dollars.  The cable companies are going to put themselves out of business if they don't change their pricing and business model, and traditional TV will go down with them.  It seems like they always manage to find a way to inch up the bill or jack it up by quite a bit.  We had it down to 200, then they magically got it up to 220.  Now SuddenLink made it to where we can't get the bill changed in their office and have to call a number.  I can't afford to buy DVDs and Blu-Rays of stuff all the time like I used to.  Hell, I still haven't replaced all my VHS collection with DVDs, much less replaced the DVDs with blu-rays.  At this point I just hold onto the VHS now so I remember that I own and like x movie and can plan to replace it with a DVD or Blu-Ray or watch it via streaming or something else.  So streaming services are pretty good value for me.  All-digital is a nightmare though.  Because then you don't own anything and then shows and movies can disappear into history.  There definitely still does need to be physical media going forward.  That said, if I really, really like a show, I'd probably try to buy it on physical media.  Though that can get expensive with a long-runner.  But SAO was short when I initially considered buying it, then I saw Aniplex wants an arm, leg, and kidney for their stuff.  Don't they realize they'd make more money selling more copies for less, than a few copies for a lot?

46 minutes ago, elfie said:

Which is ironic because binge-watching is basically just the same thing only you do it on your own time.

Usually something you haven't seen before though.  Well, not always, I suppose.  But it's still something you choose to watch.  I don't usually want to re-watch a bunch of episodes of something I only recently just saw.  Especially in this day and age when we barely have enough time to watch, read, and play everything we want because we have so much entertainment!  You sure can't get bored anymore these days.

13 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Well, that is interesting and somewhat unexpected to hear indeed.  Near-dub premieres, month behind premieres, old dubs, all doing well.  So maybe the streaming services don't have as much of an effect as we thought.

Marathons are still an antiquated concept in this day and age, though.  At least if they break up the normal schedule.  And it has been proven this year that the ratings don't go down that much for holidays.  I hope we stay with just a handful of marathons in 2020.  Marathons for time filler in nonessential time slots like USA does with NCIS and Law & Order are fine.

i hope they go with the shorter marathons list next year as well....because the more marathons there are  the harder it is for some people to strictly stick with toonami instead of watching on something like funimation now

• Like 2

I hate on this holiday thing personally because I’ve had real life things (buying my house, timely medical treatment for my dying mother) held up “because it’s the holidays” and key people not working the whole month of December. So I’m sorry for my attitude about the whole thing, but I just hate that whole mentality of all normalcy being on pause because it seems like nothing gets done the whole month. I have a job where we don’t get automatic holiday breaks so I never understood it. 

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I hate on this holiday thing personally because I’ve had real life things (buying my house, timely medical treatment for my dying mother) held up “because it’s the holidays” and key people not working the whole month of December. So I’m sorry for my attitude about the whole thing, but I just hate that whole mentality of all normalcy being on pause because it seems like nothing gets done the whole month. I have a job where we don’t get automatic holiday breaks so I never understood it. 

some people(including those at toonami)do it because they feel if they take that time off they can start the new year fresh and renewed

i understand why you hate it though because if you really need something and can't get it done due to the holidays then it really makes you think the cards are stacked against you

if you don't hop on an air-plane for every little holiday or have a drunken party then You'd feel like all those channel hiatus's and breaks are stupid

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

some people(including those at toonami)do it because they feel if they take that time off they can start the new year fresh and renewed

i understand why you hate it though because if you really need something and can't get it done due to the holidays then it really makes you think the cards are stacked against you

if you don't hop on an air-plane for every little holiday or have a drunken party then You'd feel like all those channel hiatus's and breaks are stupid

I have a friend who’s a fitness trainer and he hates how people wait until the New Year to start working out. He’s like, “Just start now, why wait”.

Its the way modern society has kind of trained people to operate on a calendar. I’m kind of always not understood why certain families only get together or give gifts during holidays or even that's it’s mandated we do so. It’s kind of off if you only reach out to those people then if you really care about them. 

I started buying my house in August 2012 and  it had legal complications because of a will. My realtor told me that if it wasn’t settled by Thanksgiving not you expect it until January. Sure enough January 2nd all my stuff went through and the deal was made. It literally stalled for the whole month of December 

I’ve never had a family like that  so it’s strange to me I guess. The amount of times I see people on January 2nd posting about how hard it is to go back to work after the whole office had 2 weeks off is odd since I didn’t think that many companies can just shut down for 2 weeks either.  I didn’t know there were jobs that gave everyone a winter break 

One reason I think TV goes off during holidays as well is to promote film attendance. After all, many of the networks are part of a corporate entity that releases films as well :)

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

the main film coming out on christmas is cats and I'm not sure how many are gonna go see that honestly....

i just think it's a bit silly to punish loyal toonami viewers by saying "hey you only watch us right? well enjoy not having new episodes for several weeks!" and thinking that only the people who have no lives at all would have a problem with this  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

the main film coming out on christmas is cats and I'm not sure how many are gonna go see that honestly....

i just think it's a bit silly to punish loyal toonami viewers by saying "hey you only watch us right? well enjoy not having new episodes for several weeks!" and thinking that only the people who have no lives at all would have a problem with this  

Part of me thinks that catering to the viewers who wouldn’t at least DVR the block so they don’t miss out is a shame. 

Part of it is the fact that they are still focused on live viewership to get the majority of ad revenue. If you travel but watch on Tuesday, it doesn’t count. Even less so if you don’t watch by 3am.  It’s an antiquated system because it heavily draws from the way people used to watch TV.  DVR should count for more than it does. 

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, brianycpht said:

Part of me thinks that catering to the viewers who wouldn’t at least DVR the block so they don’t miss out is a shame. 

Part of it is the fact that they are still focused on live viewership to get the majority of ad revenue. If you travel but watch on Tuesday, it doesn’t count. It’s an antiquated system because it heavily draws from the way people used to watch TV. 

i agree and i can just imagine Demarco chewing out someone who tries to say that on twitter

Just now, brianycpht said:

No point in doing that. He’s not a programmer 

i understand but there's nobody else to really voice complaints to unfortunately so that's the only person available even though he has no control over the schedule  he's still the only person within the toonami brand that can be reached

there's very little anyone can do except just deal with it or go to funimation now because there's no way to get toonami to change it's mind without any way to truly get in touch with them and make sure they understand that holiday marathons aren't really the best idea in A DVR/On Demand/Streaming World

On 12/14/2019 at 10:10 PM, Top Gun said:

I don't fly places or go to a ton of parties, but there are still frequent family/friend things during the holidays, especially on the weekends. Plus it honestly feels nice to take a bit of a break from the weekly grind of watching 5 hours of TV. 

Weekly grind?  Toonami is one of the highlights of my week and I greatly look forward to watching and discussing the shows live!  Maybe you should cut some crap from your weekly viewing, like Food Wars and Shippuden.  Of course, the madman DeMarco put Food Wars in a buzzkilling, momentum derailing position right in the middle of the block, when it has no business being on before Demon Slayer, and should be after Black Clover at the earliest! 

So that wouldn't save you any time to skip Food Wars during the live airing.  But if you watch via DVR it is no issue.  Of course, if you're a completionist like me, this isn't such a viable option.  But when watching live I typically feel like the night flies by honestly.  On the other hand, watching stuff recorded later on feels like it takes longer?  It's odd.

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

On 12/14/2019 at 10:38 PM, CountFrylock said:

i understand but there's nobody else to really voice complaints to unfortunately so that's the only person available even though he has no control over the schedule  he's still the only person within the toonami brand that can be reached

there's very little anyone can do except just deal with it or go to funimation now because there's no way to get toonami to change it's mind without any way to truly get in touch with them and make sure they understand that holiday marathons aren't really the best idea in A DVR/On Demand/Streaming World

I thought the whole point of Toonami was having DeMarco, Gill, and the other Toonami gurus picking out the shows and scheduling things.  Granted, they don't have absolute power, but they have a lot of input.  If DeMarco truly had "no control," this would just be ASA with a Toonami coat of paint.  A block that much fewer premieres, even lesser quality of show picks in many cases, little to no promotion or advertising for the shows, and even more baffling scheduling decisions.  We called them "schedule monkies" back then, for a reason.  There is a marked difference between Toonami now and ASA before.  The Toonami crew a definitely a big part of that.

On the other hand, I have noticed that whenever viewers like something, DeMarco will take the credit, but if something pisses them off, he will say something like "wasn't my call," "out of my hands," "not in my control," was this other department's fault, or the licensors, etc.  So he is a bit full of it.

Granted, he probably can't singlehandedly get Adult Swim to change its ways with regard to antiquated scheduling and ratings stuff, but it's not that he has "no control."  He's in a powerful position at not just Toonami, but Adult Swim overall.

The funny thing is, Adult Swim is, or was, usually regarded as progressive and forward thinking in how they do things, or at least not caring about doing things the way other networks would.  But I fear they, and other traditional networks, hold onto these antiquated ways at their own peril.

• D'oh 1

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

IOn the other hand, I have noticed that whenever viewers like something, DeMarco will take the credit, but if something pisses them off, he will say something like "wasn't my call," "out of my hands," "not in my control," was this other department's fault, or the licensors, etc.  So he is a bit full of it.

Unless it's an animation broadcast edit to avoid giving viewers seizures. Then he'll get it fixed within the day.  So, make up your mind, Demarco!

Edited by elfie
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I thought the whole point of Toonami was having DeMarco, Gill, and the other Toonami gurus picking out the shows and scheduling things.  Granted, they don't have absolute power, but they have a lot of input.  If DeMarco truly had "no control," this would just be ASA with a Toonami coat of paint.  A block that much fewer premieres, even lesser quality of show picks in many cases, little to no promotion or advertising for the shows, and even more baffling scheduling decisions.  We called them "schedule monkies" back then, for a reason.  There is a marked difference between Toonami now and ASA before.  The Toonami crew a definitely a big part of that.

On the other hand, I have noticed that whenever viewers like something, DeMarco will take the credit, but if something pisses them off, he will say something like "wasn't my call," "out of my hands," "not in my control," was this other department's fault, or the licensors, etc.  So he is a bit full of it.

Granted, he probably can't singlehandedly get Adult Swim to change its ways with regard to antiquated scheduling and ratings stuff, but it's not that he has "no control."  He's in a powerful position at not just Toonami, but Adult Swim overall.

The funny thing is, Adult Swim is, or was, usually regarded as progressive and forward thinking in how they do things, or at least not caring about doing things the way other networks would.  But I fear they, and other traditional networks, hold onto these antiquated ways at their own peril.

and these antique ways of running a network won't do them any favors

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 8:31 PM, elfie said:

I go to sleep after Jojo, and just don't pay attention to Black Clover.

Then it would not be so bad to lose 3-4:30 I suppose.

Its entirely hypothetical but I kind of figure they are less likely to burn a full 5 hours of premieres on holiday weekends than say 3-4 but then again they had lots of marathons in 2015.