UnevenEdge

Hazbin Hotel - Hell is getting interest in your animated pilot

Jman

On 4/12/2020 at 12:19 PM, Jman said:

https://twitter.com/VivziePop/status/1249049862559023110

Several months later, Hazbin is still being pitched but it seems Helluva Boss exhausted all potential avenues so Vivzie wants to do it independently.

Good luck...

yeah i doubt that will work...how many indie animated shows do you see on youtube?(not many...)

regardless i think it's kind of silly how there's already so much merchandise for a show that's just a pilot with the statement being "the money you spend on shirts and pins goes towards the show!"

but when you only have a pilot....it's kind of difficult to buy merchandise and promote something that may not even come out for all we know

leaving the merchandise as some reminder of what could have been

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

yeah i doubt that will work...how many indie animated shows do you see on youtube?(not many...)

regardless i think it's kind of silly how there's already so much merchandise for a show that's just a pilot with the statement being "the money you spend on shirts and pins goes towards the show!"

but when you only have a pilot....it's kind of difficult to buy merchandise and promote something that may not even come out for all we know

leaving the merchandise as some reminder of what could have been

Studios like to see merch sales. It's something concrete that they can gauge to see how marketable the show could potentially be. It's similar to Shark Tank if you ever watch that. The Network are in the same position as investors. 

11 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Studios like to see merch sales. It's something concrete that they can gauge to see how marketable the show could potentially be. It's similar to Shark Tank if you ever watch that. The Network are in the same position as investors. 

still...with just the pilot you don't really know enough about the characters to buy merchandise with them on it

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Jman said:

Well I was wrong.  Looks like Hazbin scored a deal with A24 (responsible for numerous film and television items including Uncut Gems) and is currently shopping for a distributor.

This is a great opportunity for Vivziepop. All she has to do is not hang out with sexual predators or defend them if any more pop up in her social circle. This isn't even a dig at her, but that'll probably happen again because the animation world can be fucking trash.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:44 PM, DragonSinger said:

This is a great opportunity for Vivziepop. All she has to do is not hang out with sexual predators or defend them if any more pop up in her social circle. This isn't even a dig at her, but that'll probably happen again because the animation world can be fucking trash.

I trust A24 will be deploying a public relations team to prevent that.

I’m just glad that someone is able to do something in Western animation that isn’t the same six face slurry or desperately trying to be Japanese.  It’s its own thing.

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Jman said:

Over a year later, news is trickling in - 

Specifically that the original pilot cast was replaced by union workers, and rumors it's Netflix bound.

Not surprised. A basic search of some of the original voice actors turned up old videos or people talking about old videos where they played online edgelord 'for the lulz'. Going by the comments on the recasts, one of them was still doing some creepy shit too.

Yeah, it's nice to have grown up during a time when the stupid shit I said in my teens and early twenties are easily gone from the internet, but it was still mild stuff. I never felt the need to record myself saying a bunch of slurs or rape jokes when there was more ability to upload on youtube because I had some common sense about content on the internet possibly lasting for a long time and knew making videos like that was an asshole thing to do. I also wasn't one of these mostly white suburban spoiled ass folks who went into their twenties thinking that consequences didn't apply to them, so that probably helped too.

Edited by DragonSinger

The site’s a bit hokey, but it’s the closest article that talks about the recasting.

https://www.thefocus.news/tv/hazbin-hotel-recast/

I just think it’s crazy because Hazbin Hotel has had the same cast for the past two years. Where rather than trying to iron out getting online VA’s unionized for the roles they played, they took the least laborious option and removed them altogether. 

It’s not shocking since changes are bound to happen when you’re going from a web original to a TV program. I’m mostly surprised they didn’t try to throw enough resources into getting the voices for Angel Dust or Charlie’s singing voice back. 

• 2 months later...

I like the cel-like shadow behind the characters. The fact that they bothered with something as small as that to feel like some demented early-90's Warner Bros. offshoot *chef's kiss*

Now I wonder who the writers are involved (my main concern because the comedy writing in the pilot is excrement), but it's A24. There is nothing under the A24 label that doesn't in some way slap excessively hard.

Spoiler

Including Euphoria, which I will never watch but acknowledge its "slapicity."

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A set release date, but still no word on who is distributing it.  Given Helluva Boss episodes have been freely distributed on YouTube one would gather that getting A24 means it’s Netflix or Amazon bound.

I’m presuming Netflix given they have a working relationship with A24.

Edited by Jman

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...