UnevenEdge

So something I've noticed... One Piece has a harem element. Lol

moose

God damn it, Moose.

The whole asexual thing is really stupid, though.  Especially when some characters are sexualized as hell.  Bit of disconnect and hypocrisy there.

You know, a line of dialogue from Thriller Bark really bugged me.  Nami said she didn't want to marry inviso-perv (blanking on his name right now for some reason) because - "I'm a pirate!  I'm interested in adventure, not romance!"  Can you possibly have a more stupid and unnatural sounding line?  She should have just said she's not interested in HIM.  The other thing is, romance or not, which some pirate stories do include, pirates are the furthest thing from "asexual."  They lust after treasure, booze, and adventure as much as they do "wenches."  Jack Sparrow is a prime example.  Going by this logic/theme/trend/trope, Nami should be as interested in man-whores as she is in money.  I can accept Luffy as being "a big kid," or "not done with puberty," like Ace said, >:D but every other character?  And from what I can tell, the only Straw Hats that show hints of possibly having romantic relationships are Usopp with Kaya (the Veggie Pirates made this even more blatant in one of the last worldwide check-ins we had), and Zoro with Kuina/Tashigi.  Well, we've got Sanji, of course, but he's got about the same success rate as Miroku. :D

God damn it, Moose.

The whole asexual thing is really stupid, though.  Especially when some characters are sexualized as hell.  Bit of disconnect and hypocrisy there.

You know, a line of dialogue from Thriller Bark really bugged me.  Nami said she didn't want to marry inviso-perv (blanking on his name right now for some reason) because - "I'm a pirate!  I'm interested in adventure, not romance!"  Can you possibly have a more stupid and unnatural sounding line?  She should have just said she's not interested in HIM.  The other thing is, romance or not, which some pirate stories do include, pirates are the furthest thing from "asexual."  They lust after treasure, booze, and adventure as much as they do "wenches."  Jack Sparrow is a prime example.  Going by this logic/theme/trend/trope, Nami should be as interested in man-whores as she is in money.  I can accept Luffy as being "a big kid," or "not done with puberty," like Ace said, >:D but every other character?  And from what I can tell, the only Straw Hats that show hints of possibly having romantic relationships are Usopp with Kaya (the Veggie Pirates made this even more blatant in one of the last worldwide check-ins we had), and Zoro with Kuina/Tashigi.  Well, we've got Sanji, of course, but he's got about the same success rate as Miroku. :D

Well, she isn't interested in love. I don't think Nami is asexual because she's never really been in a situation where you can tell she's flat-out asexual (like Luffy has) but she, along with the other Straw-Hats, are more focused on their end goals and 'romance' in the 'love,romantic' way isn't in their plans. She certainly knows about sexual arousement, seeing how she uses her feminine wiles to seduce characters often enough. Something Luffy doesn't even pick up on. But yeah... I guess you can say not ALL pirates share that sentiment, so Nami's statement is wrong... but I'm sure it just meant she's not interested in romance, at this time anyway.

And honestly, romance in shonen series often turn out almost non-existent or just plain bad, and OP isn't a 'realistic series of the human mind' type-show anyway, so...

Well, she isn't interested in love. I don't think Nami is asexual because she's never really been in a situation where you can tell she's flat-out asexual (like Luffy has) but she, along with the other Straw-Hats, are more focused on their end goals and 'romance' in the 'love,romantic' way isn't in their plans. She certainly knows about sexual arousement, seeing how she uses her feminine wiles to seduce characters often enough. Something Luffy doesn't even pick up on. But yeah... I guess you can say not ALL pirates share that sentiment, so Nami's statement is wrong... but I'm sure it just meant she's not interested in romance, at this time anyway.

And honestly, romance in shonen series often turn out almost non-existent or just plain bad, and OP isn't a 'realistic series of the human mind' type-show anyway, so...

Well, Luffy did react to the flashing at Albasta. :D Yeah that's true, she has done that before, especially early on with various pirate thugs.  I can see that.  It would also be difficult just in practicality, since if they did hook up with someone, that person would either have to wait for them to get back (if they ever do), or have that person join the crew, and they'd have to have more to contribute than just being someone's boyfriend or girlfriend.  Yeah, she should have said something like that.  Or like I said, just say she's not interested in that whacko.

Well yes, that's true, but it's something that's kind of hard to get around.  It's a pretty major and integral part of the human mind and life as a human.  If this was Star Trek, One Piece characters would be some weird race on an alien planet with a totally different culture, ways of doing things, physiology, etc. :D It's kind of hard to do that for a whole series instead of just one episode, and the reason given is "THAT'S JUST HOW THE SHOW IS!"  I mean, in other cases, we always get explanations, or things are at least addressed.  Batman, for example, tries to avoid having girlfriends because he doesn't have time for it, or because of who he is, it would just put them in danger.  With One Piece, you're just supposed to not think about it at all.  And again, it's not like you can just put it out of your head, because it's thrown right in your face with the cartoony-but-still-sexualized characters, Sanji behaving the way he does, etc.  I mean, you're right, romance can be bad or nearly non-existent in a lot of shonens, but if Oda thinks he's not good at it or simply doesn't want it as a big part in the story, he could've done something like maybe some girl fall for Zoro, and he has to leave her there, because well, he has to keep travelling on the Grand Line.  Like, it's not even something that would need to happen more than once.  I think if you did something like that, it would put a lot of this criticism to rest.  And again, it's kind of hypocritical when you have hyper-sexualized characters running around.  The shippers are annoying as fuck, though.

Which means Oda had more time to fix his weakness instead of CONSTANTLY REPEATING IT.

If you don't bring up romance, instead of near endlessly parading this bizarre parade of sexuality while saying they're all asexual jellyfish, people would complain a lot less.

This is probably why Meliodas the shameless pervert in Seven Deadly Sins is such a relief.

I don't see how Oda keeps calling it out. He literally doesn't include any type of serious romance. Nor does he even really mention it save Sanji jokes.

Like literally, besides that Nami moment what other time did he throw "Their in love with adventure, not romance!" at you? He barely even addressed it. It's not like in Naruto or Bleach where they slightly dabble in it but ultimately it results in nothing, OP literally does not contain it nor does it even really mention it.

Also, most of the characters are not put in situations where their preference would really be all that important to know. Luffy is asexual. Zoro doesn't seem to care for romance, but he did seem to blush that one time with Kuina. Nami, besides the Absolom scene, hasn't really been in a situation where you would know. Same for Robin. Usopp MIGHT like Kaya, but there isn't really any proof other wise and it could just be a normal friendship. Chopper has been recently depicted to liking a female Mink (in Sanji fashion, heart eyes etc etc), Franky has one scene in a future arc where he kisses a female villain to simply 'shut them up'. So that leaves us with the only two that's show sexual desires on the crew, SanjI and Brook - and they're  gags.

Also, with the many complaints OP gets, its lack of romance isn't one of them. That's actually usually listed as one of its strengths, since so many shonen series who try to add romance come out lame.

Also, while it's cool not to has a asexual main, Meliodis just fits another anime trope, the pervy character. So he's not really THAT original.

Not having romance in and of itself isn't the problem.  I've praised the Voltron reboot (and bemoaned the parasites from the Steven Universe fandom wanting nothing but gay romance, idiots) for not having endless romantic drama like say, Korra, which did and it sucked eggs.

The problem is the constant displays of titilation, sexual elements, and huge breasts, coupled with Oda indulging his macro fetish every other arc, are juxtaposed with most of the leads being asexual.  It creates this utterly bizarre contrast that really cannot be addressed.

Not having romance in and of itself isn't the problem.  I've praised the Voltron reboot (and bemoaned the parasites from the Steven Universe fandom wanting nothing but gay romance, idiots) for not having endless romantic drama like say, Korra, which did and it sucked eggs.

The problem is the constant displays of titilation, sexual elements, and huge breasts, coupled with Oda indulging his macro fetish every other arc, are juxtaposed with most of the leads being asexual.  It creates this utterly bizarre contrast that really cannot be addressed.

Again, besides Luffy, we don't really know if the other crew members are asexual. Actually most of them have has a moment or two where they react to something. Only Zoro, Nami and Robin haven't, but they haven't really been put in situations where they would either.

Just because they don't show interest in romance, doesn't mean they're asexual. They clearly have priorities.

OP character designs for females is overly sexulized nowadays. I can admit that.  But just because that is true, doesn't mean the omission of serious romance is somehow confusing. The two don't just lead to each other. Because it's really just the designs. Sexual acts in OP are pretty rare besides Brook and Sanji.

Except in pushing the sexuality in everything but our asexual cast, they keep reminding us of it.  It gets even better when it's too sexual and Oda has to retcon it into being asexual again.  Why did you go there in the first place?  Your post-Alabasta excuse of "he was just imitating Ussop so Luffy getting off on topless women doesn't count".  You could have not made the joke.  Or had Strong World's climax with Nami's message specifically refer to the crew because pirates and adventures rather than end it with it sounding like a confession to her man to save her.  It's confused as hell.

Except in pushing the sexuality in everything but our asexual cast, they keep reminding us of it.  It gets even better when it's too sexual and Oda has to retcon it into being asexual again.  Why did you go there in the first place?  Your post-Alabasta excuse of "he was just imitating Ussop so Luffy getting off on topless women doesn't count".  You could have not made the joke.  Or had Strong World's climax with Nami's message specifically refer to the crew because pirates and adventures rather than end it with it sounding like a confession to her man to save her.  It's confused as hell.

Is it really that confusing, Jman? Is it really?

Sexual humor doesn't mean romance needs to be shown. Because that's all OP has - sexual humor. It doesn't play it straight. It's not meant to be taken seriously. So knowing that, why is the actual absence of romance so puzzling?

I mean, even back in the day, you commended OP for not including romance half-assed like Naruto and Bleach did.

If all of a sudden, they start treating Hancock's Luffy fantasies seriously, you'd have a point - but until then there's absolutely no reason to have romance in OP, sexual humor or not. It's done fine without it, and I don't want useless parings and useless babies at the end of the series like Naruto and Bleach generically did.

Is it really that confusing, Jman? Is it really?

Sexual humor doesn't mean romance needs to be shown. Because that's all OP has - sexual humor. It doesn't play it straight. It's not meant to be taken seriously. So knowing that, why is the actual absence of romance so puzzling?

I mean, even back in the day, you commended OP for not including romance half-assed like Naruto and Bleach did.

If all of a sudden, they start treating Hancock's Luffy fantasies seriously, you'd have a point - but until then there's absolutely no reason to have romance in OP, sexual humor or not. It's done fine without it, and I don't want useless parings and useless babies at the end of the series like Naruto and Bleach generically did.

Why do you keep saying "confusing?"  The confusing thing is what's going through Oda's heads, but as for the series itself, it's just hypocritical and annoying.  And if there won't be actual romance, with all these hyper-sexualized characters running around, someone should at least be interested in sex! 

Humans reproducing!  HOW GENERIC!

Though I will say one thing.  For years Kubo said he didn't believe in doing romance, because he believed there better and more interesting things he could do with his characters.  Yet he would continue to throw hints in various directions, tease, and troll.  Then at the end he timeskips over all the romance and throws characters together that never so much as held hands together before that.  It felt... awkward, in some ways.  I mean, you can't have that rule and then go against it at the last moment.  Well, I guess he did technically not show any romance... but that makes timeskipping over all that all the more annoying.  More annoying still is how he seems to have gone back on Rukia x Ichigo at the last minute and throw subtle hints and the new pairings he was planning.  I'd personally rather had the series end with nobody together.  Maybe we wouldn't be able to see where everyone was ten years later, but I don't think that's such a tragedy.  It would have been principled, at least.  And felt more natural, with how loveless the whole rest of the manga had been... besides the tragic romances that ended with one or both partners dying, of course.  Actually, with no current timeline romances explicitly developed and all past ones, while done well, ended in tragedy, made you realize what Kubo thought of including it... then he does that ending anyway.  I mean, I can see setting up a "next generation" sequel, but it's pretty obvious Kubo wasn't going to make a sequel... that would be left up to the fan's imaginations.  SO!  Why not leave the pairings or lack thereof up to the fans' imaginations?!  Okay... got on a bit of a rant there...

Mark your spoilers, boy.

I'm pretty sure something is heavily implied with Zoro and Kuina/Tashigi, and Usopp with Kaya.  The Veggie Pirates even alluded to it, saying something like Usopp is really lucky and should count his blessings or some shit.  In was in one of those things we get every now and then where we go around the world and see what everyone is up to and/or their reaction to the Straw  Hats' latest exploits.  You're right that Robin hasn't been put in any such situation.  I look at Luffy more as a 'big kid' than 'asexual'.  I'm pretty sure that's the intent there.  I remember early on he would drink milk instead of beer.  That disappeared without explanation later on, though.  I would hope no one is thinking about putting Franky or Brook with anyone... because eww.  Actually, I bet someone is putting Franky with the 2 long nose girls he saved from alcoholism, CM Punk-style.  FUCK.  What possessed you to bring up Chopper, I have no fucking clue.

As for Sanji, it's not just sex jokes... besides the perviness there's romance implied there, too, saying he wants to marry women and deciding things are proof that women love him.  Doesn't make much sense if you want the series to not have romance, to throw inthese jokes (which have been thoroughly run into the ground at this point), hyper-sexualized characters, and then cringe-inducing lines like "I'M-INTERESTED-IN-ADVENTURE-NOT-RO-MANCE!" ::)

Mark your spoilers, boy.

I'm pretty sure something is heavily implied with Zoro and Kuina/Tashigi, and Usopp with Kaya.  The Veggie Pirates even alluded to it, saying something like Usopp is really lucky and should count his blessings or some shit.  In was in one of those things we get every now and then where we go around the world and see what everyone is up to and/or their reaction to the Straw  Hats' latest exploits.  You're right that Robin hasn't been put in any such situation.  I look at Luffy more as a 'big kid' than 'asexual'.  I'm pretty sure that's the intent there.  I remember early on he would drink milk instead of beer.  That disappeared without explanation later on, though.  I would hope no one is thinking about putting Franky or Brook with anyone... because eww.  Actually, I bet someone is putting Franky with the 2 long nose girls he saved from alcoholism, CM Punk-style.  FUCK.  What possessed you to bring up Chopper, I have no fucking clue.

As for Sanji, it's not just sex jokes... besides the perviness there's romance implied there, too, saying he wants to marry women and deciding things are proof that women love him.  Doesn't make much sense if you want the series to not have romance, to throw inthese jokes (which have been thoroughly run into the ground at this point), hyper-sexualized characters, and then cringe-inducing lines like "I'M-INTERESTED-IN-ADVENTURE-NOT-RO-MANCE!" ::)

I doubt it with Zoro. Especially later on. But I'll leave it at that. Usopp maybe, but it's so unimportant compared to everything else going for that characters so who cares if it turns out true or not?

The Luffy drinks milk thing was anime filler. You never exactly know what their drinking most of the time (except Zoro who you know drinks booze) but it's pretty safe to assume that it's alcohol of some kind.

And I brought up Chopper because I wanted to bring up every straw-hat. If you wanna consider it a spoiler, then my bad, but it's really not an important thing.

And they're jokes. Just like the many other anime that have these same jokes and next to no romance involved. The story focuses on the Straw-Hats so of course, if they're not interested seriously in it, you're not going to see any romance. The story doesn't focus on those elements and watching the straw-hats develop those feeling would be jarring as hell. THAT would be odd, not the absence of it.

I honestly think you nitpicking pretty hard with this one and considering real world logic and other series that use romance. Doesn't mean that would work with every series and OP is one of those.

It's just a weird thing to be annoyed about. Almost as weird as Poke being obsessed with content ratings (sorry Poke, had to use something to compare lol).

Why do you keep saying "confusing?"  The confusing thing is what's going through Oda's heads, but as for the series itself, it's just hypocritical and annoying.  And if there won't be actual romance, with all these hyper-sexualized characters running around, someone should at least be interested in sex! 

...what the fuck show are you watching where you're seeing anyone that's "hyper-sexualized"?

That's butthurt playboy manbaby speak for Nami and Robin's breasts getting bigger.

they also wear nothing but bikini tops and cut-offs now....just sayin'

latest?cb=20140916081641

Ben is wrong about a lot of things but saying Nami and Robin's new designs are hypersexualized isn't one of them

That's butthurt playboy manbaby speak for Nami and Robin's breasts getting bigger.

I've got character design spoilers.  Besides, Robin already dresses like a prostitute as it is.

latest?cb=20130105045304

55dc8746bdd18dec2ef65a9e3122498ba350eb5b_hq.jpg

f0dc2c70d9137a01fdf19cd1d8fd2ee52d3a21f2_hq.jpg

And don't tell me this escaped your notice -

ff4c0ad585923a4cfc7b8982e14ad34a.jpg

Besides, Robin's already like 30.  Nami, I can see, but it doesn't make any sense for Robin's boobs to get bigger.  Unless maybe Sanji is putting something in their food...

IIRC, Oda said that Sanji was spiking their food with stuff to make their breasts grow.

Bur Robin's increasing bust size isn't my problem with her post-timeskip. The real concern is how white she got.

I liked that the anime gave her a tan, but she was always white in the manga so after the time skip, they reverted her skin to white to be closer to the manga (but they still left her eyes blue, even though they're brown in the manga, so yeah a half-assed attempt)

IIRC, Oda said that Sanji was spiking their food with stuff to make their breasts grow.

Bur Robin's increasing bust size isn't my problem with her post-timeskip. The real concern is how white she got.

That's fucking stupid, if true.

ODA IS RACIIIIISTT!!!!!

No seriously, he only has one color for coloring people in his color spreads.  Regardless of facial and body features, and what he's stated that should tell us otherwise, everyone has the same skin color.  Makes me wonder if that clown that 4Kids made white to make him less offensive would've looked that way anyway in an Oda-drawn color spread LOL.  Whatever the reason, it's lame.  Kind of stupid for the anime to revert their skin colors after the timeskip, too.

The girls are indeed super sexualized now (though still nowhere near Fairy Tail levels)

That much is true, but that still doesn't mean legit romance subplots should be included.

The two are tied together.  Not sure what your point of bringing up Fairy Tail is.  And again, even if no romance were included, it beleaguers belief that no one so much as has a pulse around these women.

I liked that the anime gave her a tan, but she was always white in the manga so after the time skip, they reverted her skin to white to be closer to the manga (but they still left her eyes blue, even though they're brown in the manga, so yeah a half-assed attempt)

They should've just left them the way they were.  That's stupid.

That's fucking stupid, if true.

ODA IS RACIIIIISTT!!!!!

No seriously, he only has one color for coloring people in his color spreads.  Regardless of facial and body features, and what he's stated that should tell us otherwise, everyone has the same skin color.  Makes me wonder if that clown that 4Kids made white to make him less offensive would've looked that way anyway in an Oda-drawn color spread LOL.  Whatever the reason, it's lame.  Kind of stupid for the anime to revert their skin colors after the timeskip, too.

Oda is known to give trolling joke answers in those fan question things, though. So many of the stuff he says I wouldn't take seriously.

The two are tied together.  Not sure what your point of bringing up Fairy Tail is.  And again, even if no romance were included, it beleaguers belief that no one so much as has a pulse around these women.

Just giving an example with a show you like. And again, it's nowhere near FT levels. OP may include scantly clad females, but that's where the sexualizing ends. FT takes it a step further and with much more frequency. Especially later on. I believe I've showed you pictures before of said moments.  So if you're ok with that...

Sanji does, Brook does, Usopp did when he saw Nami naked in Thriller Bark, Aokiji commented on Nami's body, nameless characters, etc etc. There are many characters that reacted to them. But no, you want the entirety of the StrawHats to react and act on it seriously. That isn't gonna happen, nor should it.

I doubt it with Zoro. Especially later on. But I'll leave it at that. Usopp maybe, but it's so unimportant compared to everything else going for that characters so who cares if it turns out true or not?

The Luffy drinks milk thing was anime filler. You never exactly know what their drinking most of the time (except Zoro who you know drinks booze) but it's pretty safe to assume that it's alcohol of some kind.

And I brought up Chopper because I wanted to bring up every straw-hat. If you wanna consider it a spoiler, then my bad, but it's really not an important thing.

And they're jokes. Just like the many other anime that have these same jokes and next to no romance involved. The story focuses on the Straw-Hats so of course, if they're not interested seriously in it, you're not going to see any romance. The story doesn't focus on those elements and watching the straw-hats develop those feeling would be jarring as hell. THAT would be odd, not the absence of it.

I honestly think you nitpicking pretty hard with this one and considering real world logic and other series that use romance. Doesn't mean that would work with every series and OP is one of those.

It's just a weird thing to be annoyed about. Almost as weird as Poke being obsessed with content ratings (sorry Poke, had to use something to compare lol).

Just making the point that it's not so out of the realm of possibility like you want to say it is.

Why use jokes that purposefully call attention to the thing you don't want included in your story?  If they developed feelings for each other, sure.  Isn't the idea that they're family?  They probably see each other more as bros or BFFs, so it wouldn't feel right for them to become involved with each other.  But they aren't attracted to anyone?  No one is attracted to them?  I mean you're coming up with lots of excuses and mental gymnastics here, and it could've been just as easily dealt with if the author didn't do contradictory things that called attention the lack of romance, or have one, a short one, maybe, where some Straw Hat has to say "sorry it won't work, I have to continue my journey blahblahblah" and it's stamped out there.  Instead, Oda seemingly wants to have his cake and eat it too, just like Kubo ultimately did in the end.  Really, humans behaving like humans is jarring?

Just making the point that it's not so out of the realm of possibility like you want to say it is.

Why use jokes that purposefully call attention to the thing you don't want included in your story?  If they developed feelings for each other, sure.  Isn't the idea that they're family?  They probably see each other more as bros or BFFs, so it wouldn't feel right for them to become involved with each other.  But they aren't attracted to anyone?  No one is attracted to them?  I mean you're coming up with lots of excuses and mental gymnastics here, and it could've been just as easily dealt with if the author didn't do contradictory things that called attention the lack of romance, or have one, a short one, maybe, where some Straw Hat has to say "sorry it won't work, I have to continue my journey blahblahblah" and it's stamped out there.  Instead, Oda seemingly wants to have his cake and eat it too, just like Kubo ultimately did in the end.  Really, humans behaving like humans is jarring?

Yes, with the way the crew has been represented, it would be jarring. You gotta stop inserting real world logic with OP. Especially with OP. Like I said, there's no need to follow every part of the human mind accurately. And jokes are just jokes. You're seriously thinking and nitpicking too much with this.

Just giving an example with a show you like. And again, it's nowhere near FT levels. OP may include scantly clad females, but that's where the sexualizing ends. FT takes it a step further and with much more frequency. Especially later on. I believe I've showed you pictures before of said moments.  So if you're ok with that...

Sanji does, Brook does, Usopp did when he saw Nami naked in Thriller Bark, Aokiji commented on Nami's body, nameless characters, etc etc. There are many characters that reacted to them. But no, you want the entirety of the StrawHats to react and act on it seriously. That isn't gonna happen, nor should it.

Fairy Tail actually has romance in it, though.  You really think you could have people that fit and attractive working together and nobody shacks up?  You might as well try to ban wrestlers from getting together.  Everyone is on the road together, they get close, and they look good.  So it makes sense that happens.  I wouldn't see it any different in Fairy Tail.  Also, pretty sure I did object to having fan service during serious moments, but I've noted that I haven't gotten to those scenes in context yet.  I mean I did complain about some of the awkward fan service in SAO, so...

That is true that you're right that people do react to them.  And I never said Straw Hats need to pair off together...

Yes, with the way the crew has been represented, it would be jarring. You gotta stop inserting real world logic with OP. Especially with OP. Like I said, there's no need to follow every part of the human mind accurately. And jokes are just jokes. You're seriously thinking and nitpicking too much with this.

I thought one of the major parts of One Piece were how relatable and realistic the characters are, as people.  That's why people get invested and that's why people actually have a reaction when something horrible happens to them.  The show is built on relationships, friends, family, mentors, apprentices, etc.  This also feeds into the emotional aspect and people feeling close to the characters.  Also worth noting that Oda could milk the emotional reaction thing he likes to do to the T by torturing and/or killing off someone's boyfriend or girlfriend, by the way.  So, you can say how it's so fantastical all you want, but the people themselves aren't totally alien, otherwise One Piece wouldn't have the appeal that it does.  And again, if you don't want to call attention to something you don't want in your story... stop doing things that call attention to something you don't want in your story.

Oh yeah, I just thought of something.  You keep saying how the Straw Hats are focused on attaining their personal goals, having fun, having adventure (because having a significant other isn't fun at all).  They don't have time they are laser-focused blahblahbahblahblah.  Well, after the story ends, I'm going to laugh my ass off if they hook up with people, since they could essentially "retire" at that point.  Be even funnier if some of them are some random fucks from hundreds of episodes earlier in the story.  You know how Oda likes to do that. >:D

I thought one of the major parts of One Piece were how relatable and realistic the characters are, as people.  That's why people get invested and that's why people actually have a reaction when something horrible happens to them.  The show is built on relationships, friends, family, mentors, apprentices, etc.  This also feeds into the emotional aspect and people feeling close to the characters.  Also worth noting that Oda could milk the emotional reaction thing he likes to do to the T by torturing and/or killing off someone's boyfriend or girlfriend, by the way.  So, you can say how it's so fantastical all you want, but the people themselves aren't totally alien, otherwise One Piece wouldn't have the appeal that it does.  And again, if you don't want to call attention to something you don't want in your story... stop doing things that call attention to something you don't want in your story.

You and Jman (who hates on OP any chance he can) are seriously the only people I've met IRL or on the internet complaining about... this. So I'm sure he's doing fine. You're just being very nitpicky)

Oh yeah, I just thought of something.  You keep saying how the Straw Hats are focused on attaining their personal goals, having fun, having adventure (because having a significant other isn't fun at all).  They don't have time they are laser-focused blahblahbahblahblah.  Well, after the story ends, I'm going to laugh my ass off if they hook up with people, since they could essentially "retire" at that point.  Be even funnier if some of them are some random fucks from hundreds of episodes earlier in the story.  You know how Oda likes to do that. >:D

I would hate if it ends like that. I don't want it to end like Naruto and Bleach and have a bunch of knock-off kids. Bleh.

You and Jman (who hates on OP any chance he can) are seriously the only people I've met IRL or on the internet complaining about... this. So I'm sure he's doing fine. You're just being very nitpicky)

I would hate if it ends like that. I don't want it to end like Naruto and Bleach and have a bunch of knock-off kids. Bleh.

I have been accused of overthinking and nitpicking before (and I do do that) and maybe it wouldn't have popped into my head if Jman never brought it up, but you're crazy if you think no one else has had this complaint.  I mean, there's armadas of obnoxious shippers online.  You really think none of them wants their fictions made reality?  Well, "reality" in the canon fiction, lol.  That and you probably run in circles full of fanboys and fangirls.

I would be funny just to see you get trolled if that happened. >:D