UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia Episode #62 (324) Discussion

8 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Why is this episode so weird and batshit crazy?!

Because we're in "exposition mode", and it looks like this continues next week without much of a payoff, so I will REALLY feel cheated if Toonami doesn't get Season 4!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/my-hero-academia/episode-62/.137185

Grade: "B+". Yes, this season will conclude with a bit of a "non-conclusion" next week, according to this article! I guess this kinda makes this season similar to Sword Art Online II, in that the big payoff was in the FIRST half, and the 2nd half mostly meandered with a bunch of other short stories in the aftermath of the 1st half.

Edited by OwlChemist81

11 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Because we're in "exposition mode", and it looks like this continues next week without much of a payoff, so I will REALLY feel cheated if Toonami doesn't get Season 4!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/my-hero-academia/episode-62/.137185

Grade: "B+". Yes, this season will conclude with a bit of a "non-conclusion" next week, according to this article! I guess this kinda makes this season similar to Sword Art Online II, in that the big payoff was in the FIRST half, and the 2nd half mostly meandered with a bunch of other short stories in the aftermath of the 1st half.

Exposition has nothing to do with the mindfuckery and weird atmosphere this whole episode had.

If Toonami doesn't get it quickly once it's available, can we presume they won't get it any time soon, if ever?  Because it's going to be really hard to hold out for a Toonami airing that may never come.  And that seems especially doubtful with how they deathslotted season 3.

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Exposition has nothing to do with the mindfuckery and weird atmosphere this whole episode had.

If Toonami doesn't get it quickly once it's available, can we presume they won't get it any time soon, if ever?  Because it's going to be really hard to hold out for a Toonami airing that may never come.  And that seems especially doubtful with how they deathslotted season 3.

Personally since they did eventually work out getting S3, I think they're still going to end up getting S4 even though they did push these last few eps at the end of the season to the back of the block.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, saito34 said:

Ive always liked his manga cover

hfdlefupazb01.jpg

I think I had seen this character before and thought he was a young All Might.  Now I don't know what to think lol.

Yeah, I discovered a while back that the volume covers look like comic book covers, which is so cool.

my-hero-academia-vol-13-graphic-novel-pr

14 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Personally since they did eventually work out getting S3, I think they're still going to end up getting S4 even though they did push these last few eps at the end of the season to the back of the block.

People thought that sending My Hero Academia to the back of the block was a political move, that Adult Swim/Toonami was upset that Funimation made that deal with Hulu.  Because doing this made no logical sense.  Then Demarco said that if everyone who was mad about the move had watched it, it wouldn't have gotten moved, which was a bad look, to say the least.  And apparently it wasn't even doing that bad where it was anyway?  And now MHA beats most of the shows that come on before it despite being deathslotted.  I saw some people say that Funimation doesn't promote their shows airing on Toonami anymore either.  But I don't watch many convention panels or look at a lot of press releases or social media posts by Funimation, so not sure how true that is.

But now they've gotten Fire Force, a big shonen from Funimation, which is just a few weeks behind its Japanese airing, so I dunno.  You'd think if Toonami and Funimation had a falling out, they wouldn't have made that deal.  Either way, it makes no sense to death-slot MHA.

Edited by ben0119

9 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, guy needs more roles, he sounds great! And I love him as Gray.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=81349

Looking this list over and I either didn't see any of these shows or the ones I did I don't remember those characters, at least not by name.  It looks like major roles are bold so yeah he doesn't have very many, which is a shame.

And I didn't even realize he was playing this Twice character until he went into the multiple personality insanity in this episode.  So he's got range too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

People thought that sending My Hero Academia to the back of the block was a political move, that Adult Swim/Toonami was upset that Funimation made that deal with Hulu.  Because doing this made no logical sense.  Then Demarco said that if everyone who was mad about the move had watched it, it wouldn't have gotten moved, which was a bad look, to say the least.  And apparently it wasn't even doing that bad where it was anyway?  And now MHA beats most of the shows that come on before it despite being deathslotted.  I saw some people say that Funimation doesn't promote their shows airing on Toonami anymore either.  But I don't watch many convention panels or look at a lot of press releases or social media posts by Funimation, so not sure how true that is.

But now they've gotten Fire Force, a big shonen from Funimation, which is just a few weeks behind its Japanese airing, so I dunno.  You'd think if Toonami and Funimation had a falling out, they wouldn't have made that deal.  Either way, it makes no sense to death-slot MHA.

Yeah I think them doing Fire Force pretty much tells us that Funi and Adult Swim are still fine. That's a BIG high profile show and it was pre-planned for at least 50 episodes (4 cours) so that's no small get to me. I don't see how they'd get it if there was any real beef.

It was really weird so I wonder if it really was just timing with all the new replacement shows coming in all at once and S3 only having a handful of eps left, it was pretty rare that many shows ended around the same time and these eps seem to be pretty low key setup episodes (outside of maybe the first one if that was the one that ended the rescue test?).

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah I think them doing Fire Force pretty much tells us that Funi and Adult Swim are still fine. That's a BIG high profile show and it was pre-planned for at least 50 episodes (4 cours) so that's no small get to me. I don't see how they'd get it if there was any real beef.

It was really weird so I wonder if it really was just timing with all the new replacement shows coming in all at once and S3 only having a handful of eps left, it was pretty rare that many shows ended around the same time and these eps seem to be pretty low key setup episodes (outside of maybe the first one if that was the one that ended the rescue test?).

I didn't know it was 50 episodes.  Well that's even better because I've been loving the show already, and also yeah proves even more there can't be any real major tension.  There's no sign of Black Clover going anywhere either. :)

That could be.  They had to replace a lot of shows, these are mostly low key setup episodes, like you said.  That, and if people haven't had the chance to see them elsewhere already, judging by ratings, people aren't having trouble finding it.  There's also cable on-demand and DVR.  Still just seems so weird to do to a show that isn't anywhere near the bottom of the totem pole.  But maybe they just couldn't help it with how the deals worked out and those shows did HAVE to be replaced, and maybe timing didn't work out the way they would've liked.

One thing I'm also wondering about is why end the season on this note?  I guess when you do seasonal instead of ongoing you try to adapt what you can and then stop, and can't help where the story is in the manga?  Still it seems like there are some obvious good stopping points usually.  The All Might and All for One fight would have been a good season finale.  But I guess they thought it would be better to have the fallout, transition, and build up episodes at the end of season 3 instead of the beginning of Season 4, I dunno.

Edited by ben0119

Yeah, it's still very strange such a big show would be moved to the back regardless the reason especially with a new season already announced as coming pretty soon.

Maybe like you said it's them getting some of the setup out of the way so they can hit the ground running when S4 starts. That way they aren't starting with like 3(?) setup episodes with these last two and last week's cool but clearly not really related to the next arc Deku vs Bakugo rematch.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1