UnevenEdge

The new GITS movie looks cool but...

Atomsk_

I'm not excited.  The big trailer I saw for it seemed to have vibes of the Major getting revenge on some big conspiracy for making her a cyborg in the first place, which at this point is cliche and not what a live action GITS adaptation deserves.

Pretty much this, the presentation looks cool but yet again Hollywood tweaks a plot trying to make it appeal to a broader audience but takes away what made the original interesting in the first place and adds nothing interesting, fuck this movie

I'm not excited.  The big trailer I saw for it seemed to have vibes of the Major getting revenge on some big conspiracy for making her a cyborg in the first place, which at this point is cliche and not what a live action GITS adaptation deserves.

that is really stupid....I'm pretty sure she just already was a cyborg and that that was something she basically had given full consent to becoming in the movies (or in SAC was something that had to be done as a child to keep her alive)

This is my single biggest fear as well

GITS is so much more than "AHHH GET REVENGE FOR PUTTING ME IN ROBOT!!!!!" and if thats the story line that Hollywood went went then, quite frankly, it deserves to bomb.

They really need to stop fucking with well established, and well liked, story lines to "HOLLYWOOD!" up a movie.

that is really stupid....I'm pretty sure she just already was a cyborg and that that was something she basically had given full consent to becoming in the movies (or in SAC was something that had to be done as a child to keep her alive)

Wasnt SAC and 2nd Gig full of all sorts of episodes and hints that she was put into a cyberbody when she was a kid to keep her alive?  I distinctly remember a few episodes where they were talking about a little girl being put in one to survive and having to re-learn how to live in a cyberbody. 

That also would make sense for why she is so freaking powerful.  She grew up with a cyberbody, she knows how to maximize its potential.

Wasnt SAC and 2nd Gig full of all sorts of episodes and hints that she was put into a cyberbody when she was a kid to keep her alive?  I distinctly remember a few episodes where they were talking about a little girl being put in one to survive and having to re-learn how to live in a cyberbody. 

That also would make sense for why she is so freaking powerful.  She grew up with a cyberbody, she knows how to maximize its potential.

That's the case for SAC. For the new Arise universe, I believe she was placed into a cyberbody at or near birth, so she lived her entire life cyberized. The '95 film and manga never really go into specifics, as I recall, but it's been a while since I thumbed through it.

Motoko has expressed misgivings, or understood the drawbacks of living in a cyberized body, but I can never recall her "holding a grudge" or "wanting revenge."

I would be fine if they tweaked themes, or moved some things around. What I don't like is the idea of so drastically changing a character's motivations, simply because the writer seems to be a hack who's following the contemporary big budget Hollywood playbook.

They really need to stop fucking with well established, and well liked, story lines to "HOLLYWOOD!" up a movie.

Unfortunately that's the way that work for them.  No one cares about the story anymore, just the action or the sex.  Why have nuance and subtlety in a story when they can just give it a standard, cliche plot that gives way to lots of action sequences? 

Besides, not really anyone besides fans of anime (or of at least GITS) is going to care much.  Mainstreamers won't give a shit about the plot; they'll go to see it regardless.