UnevenEdge

Best anime director

scope

I love lots of them Miyazaki, Watanabe, Kenji Kamiyama, Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai, Isao Takahata.

But for me I think the answer is always going to be Satoshi Kon. The way he was able to bleed one scene into another just heightened the mystery and tension of his films, he was a genius director imo.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, scope said:

I love lots of them Miyazaki, Watanabe, Kenji Kamiyama, Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai, Isao Takahata.

But for me I think the answer is always going to be Satoshi Kon. The way he was able to bleed one scene into another just heightened the mystery and tension of his films, he was a genius director imo.

I enjoyed Satoshi Kon's work because he did what I wanted live action directors to do as far as mind-bending kind of stuff. When others did it, it just came off as pretentious as fuck, but something about Kon's work made it so full of life. Also, it's fun just sharing the experience of his work. I have a lot of fond memories of Paranoia Agent first appearing on Adult Swim and all the discussion boards were having a blast with it.

• Like 2

I always found Toshiyuki Tsuru to be an extremely underrated director. It's a shame he's only been chief director for one and a half shows, a Naruto movie, and a Shippuden filler arc that almost was a movie because his work is amazing, and it's partly thanks to it that I was able to shape Kinky Kunoichi into the hypothetically-an-anime-actually-a-story it is today.

I've also grown to appreciate Hideaki Anno's understandably pretentious but nevertheless breathtaking style after finally finishing Evangelion (ADV).

Edited by PokeNirvash

Rie Matsumoto (Kyousogiga, Blood Blockade Battlefront).  Also all the Precure stuff, which I've never seen.  But the other two are visual tours de force, fantastic feasts of controlled chaos and masterful storytelling that make sense despite the pandemonium.  Honestly I think she gives Masaaki Yuasa a run for his money, in a style that's much more accessible.  While it was still good, I think BBB&B suffered from not having her at the helm to deftly navigate its lunacy.

Sayo Yamamoto (Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Michiko & Hatchin, Yuuri on Ice).  She also served as episode and/or unit director for Texhnolyze, Gunslinger Girl, Samurai Champloo, Eureka Seven, Ergo Proxy, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Psycho-Pass, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, Space Dandy, and the Japanimator Expo ONA Endless Night.  Regardless of what sort of anime she's directing, there's always a sense of warmth and comfort underlying it all (yes, even Psycho-Pass!  What I mean by that is that I always feel like she cares about the characters and isn't just having fun torturing them), and it always looks fabulous.

• Like 3

i havent paid too much attention to directors but i probably should. lots of good work out there. satoshi is definitely up there for me since i loved perfect blue so so much..youve got me thinking about when i saw it in theaters last year..loved seeing it again.

my favorite director is probably ikuhara, or shinobu akiyuki + itamura tomoyuki who worked on the monogatari series..all three of these guys have such a god tier eye for style and cinematography.

perhaps ikuhara has a slight edge for me since i love his ideas so much.