2. AoT S3

Honorable Mention:

SAO S3

Hinamatsuri

Gintama

Overlord S2-3

A Place Further than the Universe

1. Devilman Crybaby

How is basically any of this not completely standard whatever's popular? Devilman is the strangest thing on it, but when it came out vietually the whole anime community was calling it anime of the year [even though it's one of Masaaki's weakest, by the way]. It's literally nothing but "people said this was good so we'll say it's good."

I enjoy Slime, but it's really not anything special. It's your typical MC reincarnated in another world power harem fantasy with a twist! He's a slime. 

The MC is basically as ridiculously overpowered as all of the not as good isekai shows like Smartphone, Rhapsody, and How Not to Summon a Demon Lord. There's not really any stakes or tension, you know he's always going to win since he has an ability that basically lets him use every ability on the planet. I'm not sure I understand all the praise it's getting, unless it's just the novelty of having the MC be an overpowered slime instead of an overpowered human?

5 hours ago, stilgar said:

You honestly think slime isn't better than smartphone?

Your opinion is invalid.

Uh no, it's way better than Smartphone. Smartphone is the bottom of the barrel. I've made fun of that show many times for being the absolute worst of what Isekai has to offer. I don't think anyone alive would say Smartphone is the better show.

But it's still the same formula as every other Isekai. Super nice MC. Wildly overpowered to the point of ridiculousness. The usual harem stuff.

I'm just not getting the people who seem to think "WOW THIS IS AMAZING" when it's the same thing as every other harem Isekai except... he's a slime.

5 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

Bunny Girl is the only show on there out of left field because it isn’t normie-bait like the rest of them. Capping off the list with AoT, MHA, and a ton of Netflix shows seals the deal.

Even then, it feels less out of left field and more like a thing they'd pick specifically for the illusion of diversity in their choices. It's a strange show, sure, but everyone in the anime community seems to have been watching and praising it.

I watched the first episode of Slime Isekai and liked it, but that had more to do with its weird sense of humor. Either way, I've always assumed it'd turn into another generic isekai where the protagonist is OP as fuck, regardless of what happens along the way. You also can't call it the first such series with an androgynous MC who goes around being kind to everyone, as Knight's & Magic did it first. Heck, in an excellent coincidence, both shows are made by the same animation studio.

IMO, the only shows I've watched this year that'd be candidates for a best-of list are Megalobox and Planet With, but they're not as popular as everything else, so that must be why WatchMojo completely passed 'em by.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:49 AM, Daos said:

I'm just not getting the people who seem to think "WOW THIS IS AMAZING" when it's the same thing as every other harem Isekai except... he's a slime.

I wouldn't say "This is amazing!!!!1!"  But it is really pleasant, and I enjoy watching it every week.  That's more than I can say for most of the genre, which are either OP MCs in the service of bloodbaths and angst and being badass, OP/over-9000-luck MCs who don't do anything but hang out being OP and nice, or OP MCs with a gimmick instead of a plot.  Slime is a nice OP MC who does things, and has adventures in literal world building, and has a gimmick, and has a very intricate plot gradually being woven.  It can be bloody when it needs to be, but that's not its hook.

So yeah, it's different from what it appears to be, and I like it a lot. And Ranga is a very good boy, yes he is.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I wouldn't say "This is amazing!!!!1!"  But it is really pleasant, and I enjoy watching it every week.  That's more than I can say for most of the genre, which are either OP MCs in the service of bloodbaths and angst and being badass, OP/over-9000-luck MCs who don't do anything but hang out being OP and nice, or OP MCs with a gimmick instead of a plot.  Slime is a nice OP MC who does things, and has adventures in literal world building, and has a gimmick, and has a very intricate plot gradually being woven.  It can be bloody when it needs to be, but that's not its hook.

So yeah, it's different from what it appears to be, and I like it a lot. And Ranga is a very good boy, yes he is.

Yeah it's an example of a good harem isekai. But people are watching it like they've never seen an OP isekai protag before.

Also I am calling that the lizard girl will get named, become hot, and join the harem.

7 hours ago, Daos said:

Yeah it's an example of a good harem isekai.

I'm still a little hesitant to call it a harem, as in naming that as its genre.  There's no arguing that it doesn't have harem elements, but they seem to be more fan-service than genre-service.  Harem anime usually revolve around the MC and his/her harem, with some side characters sometimes thrown in.  But Slime has a whole host of other characters of equal or greater importance than Rimiru's small harem, all of whom adore him, unless they're the villains.  And the main storyline isn't about him deciding on which lovely lass to hook up with at all.  It's got much bigger fish to fry.  At most, the harem elements are just comedy relief and eye candy more than anything.

2 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I'm still a little hesitant to call it a harem, as in naming that as its genre.  There's no arguing that it doesn't have harem elements, but they seem to be more fan-service than genre-service.  Harem anime usually revolve around the MC and his/her harem, with some side characters sometimes thrown in.  But Slime has a whole host of other characters of equal or greater importance than Rimiru's small harem, all of whom adore him, unless they're the villains.  And the main storyline isn't about him deciding on which lovely lass to hook up with at all.  It's got much bigger fish to fry.  At most, the harem elements are just comedy relief and eye candy more than anything.

Well it has been very slow to develop on the harem front, with him finally getting a human form and meeting the girls from the OP. I think it will add more standard harem hijinks by the time the season is done, like the usual beach episode. And I still say Lizard girl will get named and become hot, and be added to the harem. Also the show makes Goblin Slayer very confused.

tzO72ke.jpg