UnevenEdge

Toonami's Producing a Blade Runner Anime

mochi

24 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

FUN FACT: The Blade Runner 2022 anime short that came out a while back was directed by Shinichiro Watanabe.

I swear, half of Demarco's decisions concerning the block have something to do with his undying homolust for Bebop.

There’s a reason I think he wants to dub the new Super Robot Wars.

Apparently the animation is from the people doing the Netflix Ultraman.

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

FUN FACT: The Blade Runner 2022 anime short that came out a while back was directed by Shinichiro Watanabe.

And it was produced by Crunchyroll. In fact, this seems to be the first big project to come out of their partnership with Toonami. It helps that the same company owns both Turner, Ellation, and Warner Bros.' rights to the Blade Runner movies, which is a match made in horizontal integration heaven.

Let's hope this is great. ^_^

• Like 2

#phrasing:  TOONAMI isn't producing it.  ALCON TELEVISION AND CRUNCHYROLL are producing it along with them.  Read the very link that post includes.

We had that animated short that was bundled with the home release of Blade Runner 2049, so it comes as no surprise to me that the studio would be interested in further animated projects for the franchise.  It seems people really like this movie. I don't know one way or the other if it's good though. I have no interest in it. I had no interest in the original, nor 2049, nor the animated short, so it seems this is yet another anime I will skip entirely when it airs.

Oh look. The Cowboy Bebop director is on it. Because oh my god I am so shocked no wait no I'm not.

21 minutes ago, elfie said:

#phrasing:  TOONAMI isn't producing it.  ALCON TELEVISION AND CRUNCHYROLL are producing it along with them.  Read the very link that post includes.

We had that animated short that was bundled with the home release of Blade Runner 2049, so it comes as no surprise to me that the studio would be interested in further animated projects for the franchise.  It seems people really like this movie. I don't know one way or the other if it's good though. I have no interest in it. I had no interest in the original, nor 2049, nor the animated short, so it seems this is yet another anime I will skip entirely when it airs.

Oh look. The Cowboy Bebop director is on it. Because oh my god I am so shocked no wait no I'm not.

Even given DeMarco’s boner for the guy, you could do WAY WORSE than Watanabe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ginguy said:

Hmmmmm

Blade Runner + Watanabe - Demarco homoboner = win?

I think this has great potential. I just wonder if there will be any audience around to see it.

Maybe there will be a 2nd Blade Runner remake movie around that time? That would seem to serve it well.

FLCL had name recognition, but it was just too niche. This WON'T be. I expect the next mega-hit around the level of Samurai Jack when THIS hits the block!

Also, I thought that there would be no chance of the dub of Black Out 2022 hitting the Better Cartoon Show--until just recently. Now it might actually show up as an extended promo for the series! That would be a decent way for Toonami to use it, as filler on a Marathon night.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Maybe there will be a 2nd Blade Runner remake movie around that time? That would seem to serve it well.

FLCL had name recognition, but it was just too niche. This WON'T be. I expect the next mega-hit around the level of Samurai Jack when THIS hits the block!

Also, I thought that there would be no chance of the dub of Black Out 2022 hitting the Better Cartoon Show--until just recently. Now it might actually show up as an extended promo for the series! That would be a decent way for Toonami to use it, as filler on a Marathon night.

I can see the promo idea working, particularly if it is advertised.

I'm not sure about mega hit, but I think it has the potential to draw from a wider range of viewers, if it is done correctly.

3 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

This looks like it'll be interesting.  Given how I was pleasantly surprised by Blade Runner 2049, I have decent hopes that this might actually be good.

I have hope for it, but it has to be an adult program. It can't be some kind of teen/20-nothing pop culture nonsense, or it will flop.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 2:45 PM, elfie said:

No interest in Blade Runner?  Dude...

14 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

This looks like it'll be interesting.  Given how I was pleasantly surprised by Blade Runner 2049, I have decent hopes that this might actually be good.

Still need to get around to watching that. I heard it's as good or better than the original?!  It seems inconceivable!  Gotta say the trailers certainly did not pique my interest.  It looked as about as appealing as the new Total Recall.