UnevenEdge

Hurricane Florence is expected to turn North.

midnight

8 minutes ago, KimopoBotar said:

Prepare for the worst anyways. 

Be safe.

We will pick up some bottled water this week, and take down plants and tie down anything that may need it. We got  hit hard by Irma last year, and Matthew the year before that. Our local meteorologists aren't too worried right now. Of course, that is subject to change. We should be fine here though. We have never evacuated where I live. We are a little over an hour from the coast.

16 minutes ago, midnight said:

Which is good for us. Not so good for the folks north of us. All I am expecting for our area is a little rain, and probably a power outage, because our electric company sucks ass. But it's not expected to hit our area until late Thursday/early Friday. 

Not really

4 minutes ago, fuggstop said:

Interesting. I had to Google this phenomena, as it had slipped my mind. I have heard of this legend, as I read many books regarding the paranormal in the Coastal Empire and Low Country. Can't argue, it looks like something in the picture.

27 minutes ago, midnight said:

Which is good for us. Not so good for the folks north of us. All I am expecting for our area is a little rain, and probably a power outage, because our electric company sucks ass. But it's not expected to hit our area until late Thursday/early Friday. 

Eh ......

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-09-09-hurricane-florence-forecast-southeast-coast

florence-path-abc-mo-20180909_hpEmbed_15

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fuggstop said:

I think they like to cause panic to increase prices and profit. Im over it. I hurricane spent $100 last year like an idiot and nothing even happened.

Our local meteorologists are saying not to worry now, but we need to run out and get supplies. Ummm,, nope. Been there and done that too. Spent all kinds of money on shit and nothing ever happened. I mean, I'm glad nothing happened, but I agree, it seems to be an attempt to get us in a panic and spend money. Plus all of this helps their ratings as well.

I don't keep track of these ever since I moved off the east coast. But my experience was, unless you're within a pretty close range to the eye wall, it's nothing to get too worked up over. With some other extra factors to consider, like size of the wind field, surge, if you're actually on the coast, how fast it's moving, which could determine how much rain sits on you causing flooding, etc.

• Like 2

Kinda funny story...kinda not. I sat next to a bilingual rep in 2016 who voted for trump. I tried to say trump doesnt like people like us..her and me.

She vehemently disagreed and started talking trash about Hillary.

Skip ahead several months. Huge hurricane hits Puerto Rico where most of her family still lives. Shes distraught for days and crying at work. Then trumps response is to say "dur de hur hur..puerto rico is in debt".

Well long story short..she aint likey trump no mo!

Edited by fuggstop

3 hours ago, midnight said:

The turn north is still to be expected, according to the newest model this morning. I think our area will be lucky if we even get any rain. I’d like to get some rain, but I don’t think we will.

It's coming straight for you!!!

Too bad it's not aiming for zeni

• Haha 1

We aren’t even looking to get much rain here. This hurricane is a category 4, but it’s much smaller in comparison to the last few we’ve had. Irma and Matthew were assholes for us. I’m not worried about this one, where we live. 

I hope my asshole aunt who lives in Charleston doesn’t decide she wants to evacuate and come here. I’m gonna lock my doors. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fuggstop said:

Schools here are now closed until further notice for the evacuees. Its getting serious. Gonna ask if i can bring my kid to work so she doesn't drive my momma insane lol

If they’re going to evacuate coastal SC, then you shouldn’t have to go to work. 

10 hours ago, midnight said:

The turn north is still to be expected, according to the newest model this morning. I think our area will be lucky if we even get any rain. I’d like to get some rain, but I don’t think we will.

Idk how familiar you are with your coastal bathymetry, but there's a neat little feature called the Charleston Bump, a shelf that kinda just juts out into the Gulf Stream right off of SC. It's what commonly assists with the seemingly serendipitous curves hurricanes make on approach to the area, with the sudden change of depth, the GS kicking out to open water, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rpgamer said:

Idk how familiar you are with your coastal bathymetry, but there's a neat little feature called the Charleston Bump, a shelf that kinda just juts out into the Gulf Stream right off of SC. It's what commonly assists with the seemingly serendipitous curves hurricanes make on approach to the area, with the sudden change of depth, the GS kicking out to open water, etc.

Im grew up in Charleston and never heard of that.

1 minute ago, rpgamer said:

Not familiar with that at all. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that.