UnevenEdge

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

I think it's more or less movies being automatically invalidated because of their topic or genre comes across as snobbish bullshit.

Some of the Academy's responses towards animation for example makes me want to drive a baby into a fucking wall.

but its like the opposite. thats what i think hes talking about. its like if its a superhero movie theres a legion of superhero fans who are like THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER and they all go see it so it makes a ton of money but that doesnt make it a better movie than something that made way less money

4 hours ago, Poof said:

but its like the opposite. thats what i think hes talking about. its like if its a superhero movie theres a legion of superhero fans who are like THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER and they all go see it so it makes a ton of money but that doesnt make it a better movie than something that made way less money

He is being a snob. Superhero movies are popular and whining about people thinking they're great won't change that. And even though I love Gattaca, someone who wasted years filming that shitty ass movie Boyhood isn't in a position to bitch about other people's questionable movie opinions.

1 hour ago, SorceressPol said:

He is being a snob. Superhero movies are popular and whining about people thinking they're great won't change that. And even though I love Gattaca, someone who wasted years filming that shitty ass movie Boyhood isn't in a position to bitch about other people's questionable movie opinions.

yea but he can still be right and he is

10 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Some of the Academy's responses towards animation for example makes me want to drive a baby into a fucking wall.

Light-making of infanticide aside, the Academy viewing animation, even the artsy stuff, the same way people who think adults shouldn't like things kids are expected to like do is definitely a fucked mindset. Someone needs to sit them down in front of all the nominees, force them to watch every last one, and make a decision based on that.

That is, assuming the world dominators-in-training over at Disney don't put an end to that plan before they say go.

3 hours ago, Poof said:

yea but he can still be right and he is

He's not. What determines a movie to be great can be very subjective, especially since movies are as flawed as the humans who make them. Throw in cultural differences about love, death, aging, youth, wealth, poverty, war, etc. and that's before getting into the different types of plots, writing, acting skills, and cinematography that some people prefer over others. Also, no one compares superhero movies to Bergman's or Bresson's films, which makes Hawke sound like a bigger douche.

Edited by SorceressPol

It’s one thing to say “X flavor of the moment isn’t a big deal just because it’s popular” which is a valid statement, as opposed to “this genre is inherently inferior” which is why the Oscars are a goddamn joke.