UnevenEdge

Endless 8 for 88 hours

Daos

What a nightmare that was. I remember being there for the original release and watching week in, week out, hoping they weren’t seriously going to stretch it out for eight weeks. It was the ballsiest decision KyoAni could’ve done with the material, and it straight up murdered Haruhi. They had to center the next two anime around Yuki Nagato just because Haruhi had the connotation of being part of an embarrassing fad where we got excited for a franchise that wasted everybody’s time with Endless Eight. 

That being said, I’d be up to catch some of the marathon to crack open a brewski and reminisce. It’s been a while since I've heard, “Kyon-kun, den wa!” 

I knew what I was getting into with Endless Eight, so when I watched it with my uncle, we spent a good amount of time riffing the hell out of it with some of the same jokes. I also liked how even though the events were pretty much the same, the animation was different for all eight episodes. The shot of Kyon rotating from the POV of the clock's second hand on the last day of one of the loops is my favorite shot from the whole eight episodes.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:27 PM, imchapp.in said:

What a nightmare that was. I remember being there for the original release and watching week in, week out, hoping they weren’t seriously going to stretch it out for eight weeks. It was the ballsiest decision KyoAni could’ve done with the material, and it straight up murdered Haruhi. They had to center the next two anime around Yuki Nagato just because Haruhi had the connotation of being part of an embarrassing fad where we got excited for a franchise that wasted everybody’s time with Endless Eight. 

That being said, I’d be up to catch some of the marathon to crack open a brewski and reminisce. It’s been a while since I've heard, “Kyon-kun, den wa!” 

The next thing KyoAni did with Haruhi was the movie. The Nagato spin-off was a different studio.

2 hours ago, naraku360 said:

The next thing KyoAni did with Haruhi was the movie. The Nagato spin-off was a different studio.

The movie was also centered around Yuki, and her screen presense stood out the most in the film. I'd go as far as to say that it helped set the tone for Yuki to take the mantle with her spin-off getting an anime years after Disappearance and Endless Eight.

2 minutes ago, imchapp.in said:

The movie was also centered around Yuki, and her screen presense stood out the most in the film. I'd go as far as to say that it helped set the tone for Yuki to take the mantle with her spin-off getting an anime years after Disappearance and Endless Eight.

Oh shit, the movie came way before the spin-off. I don't know why I thought the spin-off was first.

I'd at least argue the movie fundamentally revolved around Haruhi even if she was absent for a large chunk of it.

6 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Oh shit, the movie came way before the spin-off. I don't know why I thought the spin-off was first.

I'd at least argue the movie fundamentally revolved around Haruhi even if she was absent for a large chunk of it.

The small OVA's like Nyoro~n Churuya-san and Haruhi-chan were around the same time as Endless Eight, but the gap between Disappearance of Haruhi and the Disappearance of Nagato spin-off was 2010 and 2015, which is why it was very weird to get Haruhi material this late that was just a spin-off of Disappearance-era Yuki being bubbly and wanting turkey in the same year KyoAni was moving onto Sound! Euphonium.

9 hours ago, elfie said:

I was so frustrated. The worst, most horrible prank any anime production had ever successfully done in my lifetime.

Yes but it perfectly set the stage for the movie and Nagato wanting things to change.

Let's move away from all this negativity for a moment and think about some of the more positive aspects.

Like the spectulation on how Bang Zoom would've dubbed Endless Eight back when Season 2 got licensed. They ultimately dubbed it straight, but it was fun hearing some of the ideas, plus those actually bounced around BZ. My favorite was someone saying that they should've had one episode make the characters treat the show as if it were Bleach. I actually would've liked that idea, because the VAs all fit. Itsuki as Ichigo, Yuki as Rukia, Mikuru as Orihime, and Haruhi as Tatsuki/Yoruichi. And as Crispin Freeman is a union VA and therefore never appeared in Bleach, Kyon would be stuck all episode wondering what the hell they're all talking about. :D

25 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

I still haven't seen any of Haruhi, but personally I thought the concept of Endless Eight was goddamn hilarious.  Like, if you're gonna do it, go whole hog. :D

I mean really the fans praised the show for doing something crazy in the season, but then complained when they did it in the second. It's literally at the "nooo not like that" meme.