UnevenEdge

Cooking, only to have someone come over with takeout

André Toulon

This is probably my least favorite of my 1st world problems.  It kind of makes me annoyed with the other person, but still I can't be mad.  When you take the time to cook but someone thinks about you at the fast food spot they stopped at before coming over, you have to make that decision.  Do I eat what I cooked and just refrigerate the food they were kind enough to bring, or do you kindly discard your culinary efforts into tuperware and eat this 3 piece with okra and mac.

It's times like this that I usually have to smoke pot so I can do both.

It's overly complicated, nuanced social etiquette but what you're supposed to do to be polite in that situation is make them eat whatever you cooked, you eat what they ordered for themselves, and save for later the food they got for you.

In more vulgar terms, take their shit and make them eat what you cooked while handcuffing what they bought for you......This is actually legit advice as I've done exactly this before.

Only had that happen a few times and we always just mix and match between the two.

However, I had the very irritating issue with roommates that I would notify well in advance that I'd be cooking for, only to have them waltz into the kitchen, as I'm cooking, and make something else for themselves. Like I give people advance notice of my cooking to avoid this stuff and yet it happened several times with my previous roomies. I'd always ask "hey, don't you want what I'm cooking? I'm making it for everyone." and they just shrug it off and grab a hot pocket. Kind of insulting considering I try and treat people to something they like and I go all out for them when I cook but I get replaced by a hot pocket. Then you also have to consider that said roomies would often ignore my suggestions or do something new without consulting me (or any known recipe) and then complain when their dish turns out terrible.

Also had the issue where a roommate would observe me cooking and would attempt to assist only to ruin what they touched. Sometimes it was something trivial, like a slurry, but I've also lost bigger ticket items like prime rib and Neapolitan cake.

You HAVE to be a woman  ;D

This is more lack of a backbone than being female. Ain't nobody putting their mitts on my primerib if I can afford to cook it, and I get super bitchy at people if they disturb me while I'm cooking. I even go out of my way to announce when I'm cooking so whoever wants to snack on something can do it before I start.

This is more lack of a backbone than being female. Ain't nobody putting their mitts on my primerib if I can afford to cook it, and I get super bitchy at people if they disturb me while I'm cooking. I even go out of my way to announce when I'm cooking so whoever wants to snack on something can do it before I start.

Oh, I didn't realize that post was directed at me.

I was unaware I let that person off scot free for the prime rib. I never cooked for them again and made them pay for the wasted food in the case of the prime rib.

As for people disturbing me while I cook, I don't mind most of the time. I like teaching people if they are willing to learn, but not everyone wants to learn and not every roommate is exactly a winner.

Oh, I didn't realize that post was directed at me.

I was unaware I let that person off scot free for the prime rib. I never cooked for them again and made them pay for the wasted food in the case of the prime rib.

As for people disturbing me while I cook, I don't mind most of the time. I like teaching people if they are willing to learn, but not everyone wants to learn and not every roommate is exactly a winner.

You called this a 'very irritating issue', and it's a problem you're having with multiple roommates. I could have stated it in a better way, but it does sound like there are communication issues or you're not setting clear boundaries. Even if they're helping you cook, they should still respect the money and effort spent on gathering ingredients by trying to follow your directions.

It's overly complicated, nuanced social etiquette but what you're supposed to do to be polite in that situation is make them eat whatever you cooked, you eat what they ordered for themselves, and save for later the food they got for you.

That seems totally reasonable. I'm gonna save that little trick to use never because I'm lonely.

You called this a 'very irritating issue', and it's a problem you're having with multiple roommates. I could have stated it in a better way, but it does sound like there are communication issues or you're not setting clear boundaries. Even if they're helping you cook, they should still respect the money and effort spent on gathering ingredients by trying to follow your directions.

One thing I didn't mention is that I move around a lot. So I've had quite a few different roommates in a short span of time. And since I'd like to stay somewhere as long as I can (or need to) I don't want to act like the kitchen is my domain when I'm using it, I just expect common courtesy and have said as much when I start cooking. Some people respected it, some did not. Had roommates that just let me do my thing while they sit back and let me cook our meal in peace. On the flipside, I had intrusive roommates that would set up shop right beside me on the stove top I was already using.

Plus I'm a chef so having a crowded kitchen is something I'm quite used to anyways. But! Can't expect everyone to be respectful or courteous, and that's just how it goes. I mean, 20-somethings and teenagers living away from maw and paw for the first time aren't exactly known for their manners and social skills.

I live by myself nowadays, though, so it's in the past, regardless.