UnevenEdge

Toonami Ratings Thread 2.0

23 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Instead they'll probably co-fund Gundam Crossbone...

I would pay good money for a Crossbone Gundam anime.  Do not make me want things I can’t have.

Next you’re gonna suggest Netflix cancels The Dragon Prince and commissions a Dirty Pair reboot.

• Haha 1

Ok, there was a horrific shooting happening in real time in Texas during most of the day, so I'm gonna give Toonami a pass in terms of all shows not making the Top 50 on this one.

But I gotta admit for 11:30 PM, this is still pretty bad:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-3-2019.html

Final-Cable-2019-Aug-03-SAT.png

Fire Force checks in at #53 with 327K and 0.15 in 18-49, Gundam: The Origin (Red Comet) is next, coming in at #64 with 270K and 0.13 in 18-49, and Lupin III Part 5 also scores a 0.13 in 18-49 at #67 with 278K viewers. If not for CNN, Fox News, and Shark Week, all three shows probably would have made the Top 50 like they did last week. What is quite interesting is that Food Wars! and Boruto actually hit their recent HIGHs in [adult swim]'s most important Adults 18-34 demographic, both scoring a 0.20. But did Fire Force, Lupin, and Gundam follow suit? Unfortunately, since they didn't do well enough to make the Top 50 in Adults 18-49, I guess we're never gonna know.

I had high hopes for gen:LOCK, but I'm not so sure anymore. Boruto was the only thing getting the job done at 11:30 so it needs to move back there. Gundam should move up and gen:LOCK should join it somewhere in the mid-block, either 1 AM or 2 AM. This would be a much better lineup for ratings:

11 PM Dragon Ball Super
11:30 Boruto
12 AM Fire Force
12:30 Black Clover
1 AM Food Wars!
1:30 Gundam: The Origin
2 AM gen:LOCK
2:30 Lupin III Part 5
3 AM Shippuden
3:30 MHA/AOT reruns

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Jman said:

So Fire Force is a Fire Flop and gen:Lock looks set to be a one and done.

Rough Times for all.

Certainly seems to be the case so far. Fire Force could still improve though. Boruto is showing strength at 2 AM so maybe it should move up? And Food Wars! is apparently an acquired taste (no pun intended) so maybe it could be a candidate for the 2nd show on the lineup, a slightly more sane time to actually eat while watching it. Gen:LOCK should definitely be on later though.

Again, the real culprit is the mass shootings and sharks, I guess. That won't be the case next week, sadly only most likely in the case of the mass shootings.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Oh man, I just noticed something else, that is quite frankly, quite hilarious: Dragon Ball Super won the night in Male 12-34, and Live PD was #2, but another Toonami show tied it. Guess which one? FOOD WARS! Say what you want about the show, it IS growing its audience among horny, hungry boys and young men!

Also, we have an update:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-8-3-2019.html

"Adult Swim’s line-up performed as follows:   DRAGON BALL at 0.31 and 0.12/343K & 0.11/310K, compared to last week’s 0.34 and 0.12/314K & 0.13/287K, GEN LOCK at 0.17, FIRE FORCE down 0.02 to 0.15/327K, LUPIN THE 3RD down 0.01 to 0.13, FOOD WARS up 0.02 to 0.16, BLACK CLOVER down 0.01 to 0.16/336K, BORUTO down 0.02 to 0.15, NARUTO steady at 0.14/302K, MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM down 0.02 to 0.13/270K, MY HERO ACADEMIA down 0.05 to 0.12/303K, and GEMUSETTO MACHU PICCHU down 0.04 to 0.08/195K."

8/3/2019 - Total Viewers
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 343,000  
DBS (R)  310,000 90.38%
  TOONAMI  
DBS (P) 626,000 ??.??%
Gen:LOCK 347,000 55.43%
FireForce 327,000 94.24%
LupinPt5 278,000 85.02%
FoodWars! 317,000 114.03%
B. Clover 336,000 105.99%
Boruto 322,000 95.83%
Shippuden 302,000 93.79%
Gundam 270,000 89.40%
MHA 303,000 112.22%
AVERAGE 342,800 24 of 31

So Black Clover was actually the 3rd-highest rated show on the block in Total Viewers. That means it should probably be on earlier, but putting it ahead of Fire Force sounds like a bad idea, even if it HAS beat it. Fire Force was announced for Toonami AFTER this episode aired, so maybe people waited on Episode 3 and it actually will do better from here on out. Lupin and Gundam cratered the ratings this week in total viewers, and MHA didn't get as much of a boost as usual; in fact, it was dead last in Adults 18-49. And Gemusetto Machu Picchu finally completed its first post-Toonami run. Guess what: it's getting another one, starting this week. Jeez, PRIMAL reruns can't replace it fast enough, if you ask me!

The best thing I can say about the shooting in Texas was that I didn't let it get to me during Toonami time. I was more interested in winding down and watching some dumb cartoons. It wasn't until news broke of the second one in Ohio that I was mentally knocked over. 😉

And the ratings weren't even that much lower... it's just that gen:LOCK got dealt a bad hand. Some people won't break old habits.

• Like 1

GenLOCK was chopped up, and it felt disjointed. It was very apparent that there were elements missing, and I think that is going to harm the audience going forward.

Again, the lack of audience engagement is really hurting Toonami as a whole.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Daos said:

Lets just be honest, the Gen Lock animation style was never gonna fly, and US audiences would rather watch the shittiest of shitty isekai than watch a mecha.

I again point to how well Gundam has been doing in streaming.

Let’s be brutally honest, would RWBY have done any better?

41 minutes ago, Daos said:

What are the numbers on Gundam for streaming? Isn't everyone well known for keeping their streaming numbers hidden so no one actually knows what's what? Is that streaming US only?

Bandai just opened a new Gunpla factory for increased demand and their new smartphone game beat its pre-order estimates.  Not to mention Gundam shows get advertised quite a bit on Netflix and Hulu.  

The problem here is Rooster Teeth.  No one likes how their stuff looks, and they have all these celebrities and not ONE is going on Twitter and actually advertising the goddamn show!  What is the point of all that talent if you give them shitty animation and no promotion?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ginguy said:

GenLOCK was chopped up, and it felt disjointed. It was very apparent that there were elements missing, and I think that is going to harm the audience going forward.

Again, the lack of audience engagement is really hurting Toonami as a whole.

It's telling that only THREE shows on the block have the distinction of being ones I haven't seen before, and which I wanna tune in to see (DB Super, Gen:LOCK, and Lupin III!) I follow Fire Force when it uploads on Funimation since it's a simuldub, and I watched all of Food Wars since Toonami is 3 whole season behind it! That's not very impressive.

Edited by elfie

2 minutes ago, elfie said:

My lord. People REALLY do not like Lupin III!

Well I know I don't. To me, it seems like a show that exists solely based on nostalgia, like all the awful new Tenchi Muyo crap getting thrown together. I don't see what you guys get out of it =P

But whether or not I like it isn't the point... it's not popular in the US and has always done horrible on Toonami. So why do we keep doing this over and over? =P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Daos said:

Well I know I don't. To me, it seems like a show that exists solely based on nostalgia, like all the awful new Tenchi Muyo crap getting thrown together. I don't see what you guys get out of it =P

But whether or not I like it isn't the point... it's not popular in the US and has always done horrible on Toonami. So why do we keep doing this over and over? =P

Cause the block is run by a middle-aged guy stuck in the 70's.

9 hours ago, Daos said:

Why doesn’t Toonami get more fan service centric shows, when their parent company has pushed the living hell out of two of them via Crunchyroll?

Why did we get gen:Lock instead of Gridman?

Why Food Wars?  Just...why Food Wars?

Why get a two year old OVA only to stick it at 3am where it still does better than Boruto?

Because Jason DeMarco is running the block and it’s his taste, not yours.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jman said:

Why doesn’t Toonami get more fan service centric shows, when their parent company has pushed the living hell out of two of them via Crunchyroll?

Why get a two year old OVA only to stick it at 3am where it still does better than Boruto?

Just have Demarco watch Joe Dirt. He'll learn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Jman said:

As if streaming didn’t take enough wind out of this block’s sails, Gundam The Origin is also joining FUNiNow.

Well, at least it’s not ahead of the Toonami airing.

But ya know we have all this talk of streaming killing shows for Toonami, yet Food Wars which is all on Hulu is doing pretty well for itself. It’s a bit curious.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jman said:

How oxymoronic of you to say that.

Edited by PokeNirvash

9 hours ago, Jman said:

We knew the answer for a while! Because it's become increasingly impossible to get the most desired shows now that their competitors have always placed priority bids, or more lucrative bids.

The really sad thing here is that Fire Force is supposed to be Toonami's big get. But a quick look at what people on Kissanime are watching and... it's number 5 so far this season.

Behind two shitty Isekai you've probably never heard of.

5 minutes ago, elfie said:

............. Kissanime has a ratings list??

It tracks views and ranks the top 10 for the current season by views, making it probably the best way to see what people are actually watching each season.

It also shows that literally any Isekai will be close to the top no matter how awful. We just can't get enough of being trapped in another world!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Boy, not getting Dr. Stone as a simuldub in July kinda feels like, well, not getting MHA as a simuldub in 2016!

Hey we got the... fifth most popular anime... of this current season! VICTORY!

Getting the top anime of the season is for people with a budget.

Dr Stone is coming to Toonami, stay tuned in 2024!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Daos said:

It tracks views and ranks the top 10 for the current season by views, making it probably the best way to see what people are actually watching each season.

It also shows that literally any Isekai will be close to the top no matter how awful. We just can't get enough of being trapped in another world!

It's an illegal site!!

• D'oh 2

10 minutes ago, elfie said:

Too bad Toonami dropped MHA. :P

Because first run episodes are everywhere else.

With the forthcoming Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle, more people will have access to Hulu’s FUNi stuff...which may give Toonami even less of a reason to keep it around.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, elfie said:

It's an illegal site!!

Yes, but they have everything. No paywall means everyone just watches whatever they feel like watching, so you can see what people actually want to watch when there's no restrictions.

Dr Stone has 2.8 million views over 5 episodes. That's a lot for just one site.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Too bad Toonami dropped MHA. :P

Toonami didn't "drop" MHA. It "dropped the BALL on" MHA. There IS a difference.

"Dropped" implies that they won't even air the last 2 episodes of Season 3, but of course they will, even if they're relegated to an almost unwatchable time of 3:30 AM.

And besides, we still don't know what they're doing with Season 4. It may be coming in October or November and a be a "flagship" show once again.

The question does remain if they can somehow "beat" it becoming a factor in the Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu (no plus!?) bundle, but it's quite possible that Hulu will move on to the next big thing. Maybe, just maybe, we'll also have Dr. Stone by then...

57 minutes ago, Daos said:

Yes, but they have everything. No paywall means everyone just watches whatever they feel like watching, so you can see what people actually want to watch when there's no restrictions.

How many of those are countries that don’t have access to anime via regular means?  Not everyone has the rights tied up nice and comfortably.  They have to go there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daos said:

SO Toonami is so bad, they're beaten in quality by a free illegal site!?

• D'oh 1

2 hours ago, elfie said:

SO Toonami is so bad, they're beaten in quality by a free illegal site!?

Well It's kind of apples and oranges. The entire world can use that site, and Dr Stone is subbed not dubbed.

But yeah overall it looks like the view total for 5 episodes of Dr stone likely beats the view total for 5 episodes of anything else on Toonami not named Dragonball.

50 minutes ago, Daos said:

Well It's kind of apples and oranges. The entire world can use that site, and Dr Stone is subbed not dubbed.

But yeah overall it looks like the view total for 5 episodes of Dr stone likely beats the view total for 5 episodes of anything else on Toonami not named Dragonball.

Dragonball is god without it toonami literally has no boat to float on

helps, stop being a dick. You just end up peeing on your own shoes. -.-;

elfie, if you announce what you are doing every time you do it people are just going to jump on you more when stuff does get cleaned up. The human body has 7 layers of functional skin before damage fully takes effect. Think about it. -.-;

And please no links to illegal sites just to be an ass about it. -.-; The current 'official' kissanime is currently being hosted out of Russia for crying out loud. If someone wants to go there, they can find their way there without any public help from here please. 

Thank you Drive through.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

And please no links to illegal sites just to be an ass about it. -.-;

Hey mangadex is a legit site for scanlators 

MangaDex is an online manga reader that caters to all languages. Mangadex is made by scanlators for scanlators and gives active groups complete control over their releases. 

Besides if wasn't a legit site then why would a company like this support them free of charge 

• Raptorpat locked and unpinned this topic