UnevenEdge

FLCL (FOOLY COOLY) PROGRESSIVE EPISODE #1 DISCUSSION!!

These aliens like to travel in vintage vehicles.  She rides in the backseat, no less!  I sense a pattern.  She has a guitar, too.

We know to beware of Haruko, lady.

That thing looks good on you?  That horn?!

Jinyu is there?  As a maid?!  Taking responsibility hahaha.

I knew it was Haruko!  But, she has red hair now?

I think they should have aired this for April Fool's instead.  Better first impression/episode, than Alternative.  Though that was good too.

• Like 1

Just now, mochi said:

just noticed Cat ear girl's mom has thick lips in the ending but not the show itself

so yeah I'm thinking she's Mamimi and the animators were just too lazy to draw her lips

I will hold you to that theory until this show proves otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Jinyu is there?  As a maid?!  Taking responsibility hahaha.

I knew it was Haruko!  But, she has red hair now?

I think they should have aired this for April Fool's instead.  Better first impression/episode, than Alternative.  Though that was good too.

That was great lol.

Hmmm, she had orange hair still here.

I think Demarco said in a tweet that night that Progressive episode 1 was not ready in time for April Fools, since he said that they showed Alternative ep 1 because it was what they had ready and fully completed.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gyaos said:

I want to like these shows, but I just don't think they're for me.

I'm not even drunk and I still don't understand half of the shit that happened in this episode.

I agree that I prefer my anime more structured than FLCL is.

That's why, though I don't dislike FLCL, I would never buy the series or anything.

4 minutes ago, Gyaos said:

I'm not even drunk and I still don't understand half of the shit that happened in this episode.

Quoted for truth, yeah I never did like FLCL, need something with a semblance of a plot, and preferably a badass cast of characters 

56 minutes ago, Gyaos said:

You want a FLCL of all shows to spell things out everything in the first ep? Heh ;)

Though, yeah, even the original was divisive for that reason.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Meilag32 said:

Why doesn't the Space Agency or whatever they are just shoot Haruko?  It would seem to be easier than running around cleaning up after her schemes.

I'm guessing they need her.

2 minutes ago, Zenigundam said:

Dude you're getting defensive lol

?

Defensive about what?

Nothing defensive about it. It was expected. People would have been disappointed if it was straightfoward unlike the original. There's tons of posts about people worried this would follow a more mundane storytelling style.

Edited by DangerMouse

Just now, DangerMouse said:

I'm guessing they need her.

Nothing defensive about it. It was expected. People would have been disappointed if it was straightfoward unlike the original. There's tons of posts about people claiming this would follow a more mundane storytelling style.

Definitely defensive, you just wrote a paragraph for Pete's sake. 9_9

11 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

So nobody's gonna mention that this boy looks like a fat kid version of Caesar Zeppeli?

QdTZ5LZ.png

no but I did mention how insanely gay both of them seemed

twice

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

DevWdqfV4AAW2Cd.jpg:large

Found a pic from a tweet. Her hair looks orange here to me, just like on my set, but definitely a bright orange now compared to before. I'm not seeing any red.

Either

1. she dyed it

2. it indicates another take on the FLCL mythos since this has a different director.

3. the colorist was fired.

Just now, elfie said:

Either

1. she dyed it

2. it indicates another take on the FLCL mythos since this has a different director.

3. the colorist was fired.

to be fair Pearl in Steven Universe is stated to have Pink Hair even though her hair is always drawn orange too

image.thumb.png.41e86988e16c2f779827b6d3e4b6c559.png

41 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

So nobody's gonna mention that this boy looks like a fat kid version of Caesar Zeppeli?

QdTZ5LZ.png

Or how he was wearing a skirt. And then his underwear got compared to panties in a conversation. Oh, this new season.

In a way, it seems "Progressive" compared to what's come before, but in a good way. Hidomi feels like a take on the FLCL protagonist fit for the last couple of years, combining the struggles of adolescence with a big dose of millennial cynicism. She has no idea what she wants to be, and I have to wonder if it's because she feels the older generations have fucked her over to an extent. The fact that she's just sitting there in her room, watching apparently rotoscoped footage of an idol concert without emotion, seems to drive home the point, as does her dreams of becoming a zombie and/or giant robot and eventually collapsing into nothing. If you're not an unironic Posadist, that might be the way to go.

I ended up being enamored by this premiere. While it may have leaned a little too much on the references (although I will say, if that was a text message reenactment of the manga scene describing "fooly cooly" from the original show's first episode, it was really cute), it did have some instant classic moments, like the aforementioned opening and skirt scene, the teacher showing pr0n to her students, and then her reveal as Haruko wearing a skinsuit at the end. I got up off my seat and cheered at that one. This really does feel like a new version of the show anime fans of my generation can call their own. I hope it gets even better over the next five episodes. :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

DevWdqfV4AAW2Cd.jpg:large

Found a pic from a tweet. Her hair looks orange here to me, just like on my set, but definitely a bright orange now compared to before. I'm not seeing any red.

I hope they didn't fuck it up, like Trunks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mochi said:

just noticed Cat ear girl's mom has thick lips in the ending but not the show itself

so yeah I'm thinking she's Mamimi and the animators were just too lazy to draw her lips

Hidomi =/= Mamimi!

tumblr_p9pb0xBB1M1rvb8cmo1_400.gif

What a great first episode, though! I guess unlike Samurai Jack, it's not getting any weekday replays. But I guess we'll see...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gyaos said:

That was the intent! :D

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

That was great lol.

Hmmm, she had orange hair still here.

I think Demarco said in a tweet that night that Progressive episode 1 was not ready in time for April Fools, since he said that they showed Alternative ep 1 because it was what they had ready and fully completed.

Yes, orange hair.  In the real word, we call it red.  Doesn't matter either way because Haruko's hair is supposed to be pink!  Unless that's a "disguise."  Though, she already had a disguise on over it.

Oh I see.  I thought it was to space it out so you wouldn't be seeing it again so soon.

• Thanks 1