UnevenEdge

Anyone else thoroughly disappointed in Breath of the Wild?

RainyDayJizz#35

I know I'm ten years late, but it's obvious why. So I have this unfinished save, with no desire to complete it. In my opinion they tried to make a game they don't know how to make. The world is gigantic and empty.

Now I recently bought Xenosaga ChronicleBlade 9 and this feels like the game it wanted to be. All the little bullshit you pick up in that game doesn't matter much, whereas in Zelda it does because the enemies get scaled as you progress in the game. But don't scale the weapons they carry! Make sure those white bokoblins in the starting area are carrying tree branches so the shitty combat system makes them take ten years to beat! So all that little crap you've been ignoring now matters if you want to explore without a headache. And the four dungeons.

I still have one to beat. It's a cool idea! Definitely something a little new. And disgustingly simple. It's just "where do I put the moving part to get what I need." And then the three bosses I've fought were basically exactly the same. Cool as a theme for the storyline, not fun to fight. Zelda is my favorite series. This one took the elements that bothered me in skyward sword and focused on them. And I like Skyward Sword. It's flawed, but it was a good experience. If one more Breath of the Wild is released I might be done with Zelda though. Don't call your tech demo a game, and don't try and tell me it's game of the year. It's incredibly mediocre and it's popularity is solely based on the fact it is a Zelda game.

BotW's greatest strength and biggest weakness is it's an entirely free open world.

On one hand, you have the freedom to do whatever you want within the scope of your own limitations and game physics, but the drawback is that most everything about the game is paper-thin with no real depth to it. 

They put all their points into designing the world and it's mountains, hills, forests, and rivers at the expense of everything else, so your interest in exploring has to derive from exploring for the sake of exploring, otherwise there's not much to it.

Which is not to say it's a bad game, but the contrast between the expansive world and the quite limited and repetitive attempts at life they breathed into it ruined my immersion more than once (The limited types of enemy types absent scaling, the cookie cutter ruins that immediately stopped being interesting to explore once you notice they're copy and pasted across the map rather than unique features, korok seed puzzle variety is limited enough that you begin to spot them out, etc.).

There are definitely great things about the game though. I would go as far as saying the Great Plateau is one of the best game tutorals out there, and that moment you gain the paraglider and you instantly realize the scale of the world. Or once you go to the castle, the music kicks in, and you have a legit dungeon experience.

When I had last played, I had completed all the shrines and did all the mini quests from the first dlc, but since I packed it all up to move in December I never felt the urge to set up the Wii U to go back to do the deku tree trials, any of the second dlc, or even just to beat Ganon. I figure once I play again I will lose track of time picking around in the game, but I just haven't had any interest in getting myself there.

i thought it was the best 3d zelda game since majoras mask. 

i loved the world in botw, it's empty because there is a focus on exploration. just going from point a to point b is part of the fun in this game. the emptiness is also ok here since the world just experienced a catastrophic event and is going through an apocalypse. so having a less populated world does enhance that feeling of loneliness. 

combat was fine. not sure what the problem you had with it? enemies did not scale at all here which is great. look for stronger weapons to beat stronger enemies. or try different tactics. the continue system made it a non issue if you died. 

23 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

what you didnt like majoras mask? 

Are you seriously asking if I didn't like a game that took the good things about OoT and made it all worse in an attempt to make a darker, more brooding zelda game.....The one that shoehorned some shitty Groundhog Day dynamic and pit you againt some completely random antagonist the was a complete departure from the lore as a whole, and was underwhelming at best.  That one, right....The one where people think an excellent music score excuses the game from an uninteresting story, and chronic exercises in tedium.

People like thgat game just because of the darker side to it....And I can appreciate taking it in a new direction.....But there's a reason they haven't done that again.....Well not in the main series......Those DS games are all over the place.

56 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i loved the world in botw, it's empty because there is a focus on exploration. just going from point a to point b is part of the fun in this game.

It was great, except there were points where I definitely felt like there were no mysteries left to find, just terrain to explore for exploration's sake. 

And that took me out of it here and there.

3 hours ago, Derrick Foreal said:

Are you seriously asking if I didn't like a game that took the good things about OoT and made it all worse in an attempt to make a darker, more brooding zelda game.....The one that shoehorned some shitty Groundhog Day dynamic and pit you againt some completely random antagonist the was a complete departure from the lore as a whole, and was underwhelming at best.  That one, right....The one where people think an excellent music score excuses the game from an uninteresting story, and chronic exercises in tedium.

People like thgat game just because of the darker side to it....And I can appreciate taking it in a new direction.....But there's a reason they haven't done that again.....Well not in the main series......Those DS games are all over the place.

MM did a few things better than OoT did. yes the time travel mechanics could have been implemented better. and yes the main villain was random but i don't think he was weak. the skull kid was a very memorable and liked npc's from OoT and seeing him being controlled like that made things a bit more personal. seeing him wreck havoc upon the land and its people made it so we get more invested in the story. and the fact that the npc's interact more with you in this game makes the world feel more alive to me.

yes i did enjoy having a darker side to the game. the game is oozing with melancholy and depression. almost makes you wonder if the game devs were feeling down when making the game. they manage to convey that feeling quite well. i dont think they chose to make it dark just for the sake of it but rather using it to better set a tone that enhances the doom and gloom atmosphere. 

for the record, i loved OoT and even both WW and TP. but the latter two games had some pretty big flaws that takes away from the experience for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

It's empty because it's post-apocalyptic.

Also the weapons are fine. Git Gud. If you can't put tree branches to use and save your good weapons for the enemies you should you're just bad at the game.

Side note: MM is excellent. It's Link's story, not Hyrule's story, and that's why it's such a departure from the lore. Not everything about a foreign country you're never supposed to feel at home in no matter how many times you play the game needs to be explained or connected to "OH NO, THE PIG MONSTER IS BACK"

Edited by KreiaDidNothingWrong