UnevenEdge

Black Clover Page 12 Discussion!!

Oh look at that his necklace looks just like Yuno's.

Hmm not sure I still think this guy is acting like a douche and not being genuine here.

Mimosa is cute!  I'd drink her up. ;)

Looks like the King was testing Yuno too.

What did you write about me?  "Hmmm" LOL.

Another nun creeper?!

He hasn't been keeping in touch with Asta?

4 minutes ago, elfie said:

Okay I'm gonna say it.  THese past few eps have actually been more tolerable than teh first group of them.  Dunno. More likeable characters, Asta shouts less, and even the humor has gotten a tad better. 

I haven't thought the show was bad at all so far.  Still wondering what all the hubbub was about.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

how is it still such a small village if such a major historical event occurred there and the evidence of it remains?

This episode is clearly showing classism at its best. The royals think they are superior to everyone in Hage Village and view the villagers as lowly peasants.

• Like 2

You know, if you guys spent less time nit picking and over analyzing shows and the characters to death, you could actually learn to enjoy a show a lot more.

Yes,  it's great to see the big picture, especially when there are some flaws to a character(s) and a series. However, it doesn't mean you have to complain for the sake of complaining every second about something.

Out of all the forums I have joined over the years, this is the ONLY community, that always has a gripe about something or someone.

This is not limited to only Toonami posters. I'm speaking in general, when it comes to ASMB's community. It makes me wonder if anyone from ASMB knows how to enjoy much of anything in life without it requiring something mean-spirited, divisive, and/ back-handed.

If you like it, you like it. If you don't, turn it off.

Personally, I have no problem watching Black Clover. Then again, the main reason why so many viewers were so quick to hate this series was because they were whining about Black Clover being chosen over My Hero Academia.

Maybe in the near future, My Hero Academia will be acquired. In the meantime, you're not required to watch a show that you hate.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I haven't thought the show was bad at all so far.  Still wondering what all the hubbub was about.

I watched the first few eps, which are supposed to be the worst of what the show has to offer according to people that have seen it all and.... it was watchable. I might watch more eventually. It wasn't like Tokyo Ghoul or anything.

The reason this show got so much hatred was that the appetite for another Shonen like this just wasn't there. It needed to do something different to establish itself from the other long runners that have thousands of episodes between them, and it really didn't. It also debuted after MHA, which is an infinitely better anime.

It's kind of like if you had made a decent time travel themed anime a year after Stein's gate. It may have been decent, but it will be forever be torn apart as that shitty inferior version of Stein's Gate that no one wanted. This is similar to what happened with Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, which will always be considered an inferior AOT knockoff.

Basically.... if this had come out in the 90's it would have been hailed as a great anime.

Oh and the Japanese VA for Asta really poisoned the well on this one.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daos said:

I watched the first few eps, which are supposed to be the worst of what the show has to offer according to people that have seen it all and.... it was watchable. I might watch more eventually. It wasn't like Tokyo Ghoul or anything.

The reason this show got so much hatred was that the appetite for another Shonen like this just wasn't there. It needed to do something different to establish itself from the other long runners that have thousands of episodes between them, and it really didn't. It also debuted after MHA, which is an infinitely better anime.

You do realize that Tokyo Ghoul is actually a Seinen Horror Action Anime and not the stereotypical, Shonen Jump Action Anime, right?

It seems like it's mostly the same Toonami viewers, who complained about Tokyo Ghoul, are the same, who complain about Black Clover. Like I said earlier, I post on other forums. They don't complain about Tokyo Ghoul or Black Clover 24/7 the way Toonami fans and this community complains about anything in general.

In fact, I actually have friends and have met people in public, who like Tokyo Ghoul. It really comes down to the target demographics and sub-cultures.

If you think the most recent shows, that have aired on Toonami are so terrible, you probably have never watched Ikki Tousen. Now, THAT Anime was and still is terrible. Every Anime is not going to be perfect. I'm willing to admit, there are some terrible shows.

However, when it comes to Tokyo Ghoul and Black Clover, it really boils down to which demographics they are trying to attract.

Are they trying to attract adult Horror fans? Are they trying to attract fans who like Bleach, Naruto, and/fans of similar fan bases? Casual viewers, who like watching animated comedies? etc.

Everyone has different tastes in shows and aren't guaranteed to like everything, that Pokemon fans like.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

You do realize that Tokyo Ghoul is actually a Seinen Horror Action Anime and not the stereotypical, Shonen Jump Action Anime, right?

It seems like it's mostly the same Toonami viewers, who complained about Tokyo Ghoul, are the same, who complain about Black Clover. Like I said earlier, I post on other forums. They don't complain about Tokyo Ghoul or Black Clover 24/7 the way Toonami fans and this community complains about anything in general.

In fact, I actually have friends and have met people in public, who like Tokyo Ghoul. It really comes down to the target demographics and sub-cultures.

If you think the most recent shows, that have aired on Toonami are so terrible, you probably have never watched Ikki Tousen. Now, THAT Anime was and still is terrible. Every Anime is not going to be perfect. I'm willing to admit, there are some terrible shows.

However, when it comes to Tokyo Ghoul and Black Clover, it really boils down to which demographics they are trying to attract.

Are they trying to attract adult Horror fans? Are they trying to attract fans who like Bleach, Naruto, and/fans of similar fan bases? Casual viewers, who like watching animated comedies? etc.

Everyone has different tastes in shows and aren't guaranteed to like everything, that Pokemon fans like.

As I said, these episodes have actually been better than hte first ones so far.  ")

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Yeah when I say "It's not like Tokyo Ghoul" I'm not referring to genre, I'm referring to it not being a complete disaster like Tokyo Ghoul. They're both made by Studio Pierrot which is now famous for bad adaptations and over stuffing shows with generally bad filler. Like the entire second season of Toyko Ghoul which will likely be completely ignored by S3 of the anime.

Yeah well I've met people who think the movie recap arcs of Dragonball Super are amazing. I like plenty of shows that are considered trash, but I'm willing to admit that they're trash. You won't see me defend Killing Bites as a good anime but I enjoy it every week.

8 hours ago, elfie said:

As I said, these episodes have actually been better than hte first ones so far.  ")

I never had any problems watching Black Clover to begin with on the block. Normally when a show is about to premiere, I try my hardest to keep an open mind.

Since the time Black Clover premiered, I found it to be entertaining. I believe the character, Asta was meant to be loud and obnoxious on purpose. Look at the amount of times Yami has yelled at Asta to shut up because he is so loud.xD

Even though Asta is highly passionate and ambitious, the protagonist is meant to be loud, hyper, and obnoxious on purpose. Those characteristics instantly annoy other characters and it shows in every episode.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Daos said:

Yeah when I say "It's not like Tokyo Ghoul" I'm not referring to genre, I'm referring to it not being a complete disaster like Tokyo Ghoul.

I never considered Tokyo Ghoul to be a "complete disaster." I will admit, that it would've been a lot better to give us viewers a much better understanding of the plot and main characters rather than adding in random characters, but Tokyo Ghoul was not as horrible as certain viewers want to make it.

Reading the summaries about the characters and the plot was a lot easier to understand. Tokyo Ghoul is actually very political, when you really pay closer attention to the series.

You have certain ghouls, that are radical extremists, terrorists groups, and humans that are like crooked cops in law enforcement. Then, you have the innocent people and ghouls, that are automatically lumped in with the worst of the ghouls.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

the fact that Tokyo Ghoul is a Seinen (or adult oriented) series and is still as bad as it is makes it worse IMO

cause Black Clover can use the excuse that it's an anime for children as an excuse for why it's so clichee and Juvenile

Tokyo Ghoul has no logical excuse for how terrible it is

36 minutes ago, mochi said:

the fact that Tokyo Ghoul is a Seinen (or adult oriented) series and is still as bad as it is makes it worse IMO

cause Black Clover can use the excuse that it's an anime for children as an excuse for why it's so clichee and Juvenile

Tokyo Ghoul has no logical excuse for how terrible it is

Neither are meant for children. If there were actual gay characters on both shows, you would probably like them... Or not.

Just now, PurgatoryGirl said:

Neither are meant for children. If there were actual gay characters on both shows, you would probably like them... Or not.

I'd like them less because Gay anime characters are always written to be as disgusting as humanly possible, they're always drag queen rapists who try to force themselves onto straight characters who hate them

I actually PREFER my anime to lack gay characters at this point

that said I'd hate them even if they had well written gay characters because bad writing isn't negated by inclusion of gay characters

I flip flopped on Gundam IBO because it's fucking awful

I don't care that it has a gay character, it's just fucking bad

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, mochi said:

I'd like them less because Gay anime characters are always written to be as disgusting as humanly possible, they're always drag queen rapists who try to force themselves onto straight characters who hate them

I actually PREFER my anime to lack gay characters at this point

that said I'd hate them even if they had well written gay characters because bad writing isn't negated by inclusion of gay characters

I flip flopped on Gundam IBO because it's fucking awful

I don't care that it has a gay character, it's just fucking bad

Whether any type of show has gay characters or not, you will STILL find a reason to whine about something.

Yuri, Yaoi, and Shonen Ai Anime exist but you hate watching them because homosexual characters aren't depicted the way YOU want them to be depicted yet claiming, that Japan is "homophobic."

Years ago on Lithium, you spammed the board with more than dozens of threads obsessing over Sailor Moon Crystal, how it should be aired on Toonami, and just about anything related to the GLBT. Now, you don't like Sailor Moon Crystal or want it on the block. You are never satisfied and can never make up your mind about much of anything you want.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Gundam IBO is a damn good show. So is Gundam Unicorn, even if it's hard to follow, but I digress.

Mochi likes when anime and other shows on Toonami depict gay characters in a positive light; that's pretty much all there is to it!

Mochi will find a way to make straight characters gay because he desperately wants them to be gay.

Otherwise, he will complain about characters, which ARE gay, NOT being gay enough for him or fitting his personal fantasies and narrative. It has been this way for YEARS.

As for the Gundam franchise, I have tried getting into the series, but simply can't.

Out of all the Mecha Anime, I think this is the only Mecha Anime I could never get into. I believe this is mostly because Gundam has such a large cast of characters, that I would have to start from the very beginning of the franchise to understand the plot and the background connections to each character(s).

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we're seriously still talking in here?

1. mochi's right about most things

2. gundam's huge cast doesn't usually carry over to different series, especially not the alt universe ones like wing, seed, ibo, 00, and g. if you're worried about the cast and continuity, skip zeta, double zeta, unicorn, the origin, and char's counterattack. literally any other series is fine to strt with no prior knowledge.

3. people hated on black clover because it's a very weak rip off of naruto with bad character development, stilted worldbuilding nd to much screaming. not because we watd mha on the toonami block.

4 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

people hated on black clover because it's a very weak rip off of naruto with bad character development, stilted worldbuilding nd to much screaming. not because we watd mha on the toonami block.

Quite a few nit pickers did throw tantrums on at least another forum about My Hero Academia being overlooked for Black Clover. Like you said, there were also those other nit pickers comparing Asta to Naruto, how Black Clover was a "Naruto ripoff," and about Asta's screaming.

Without a doubt, I can see some of Asta's similarities to Naruto and Yuno's similarities to Sasuke. I can especially see Vanessa's similarities to Bleach's Rangiku and how Asta's sword looks somewhat similar to Ichigo's Zanpakuto.

In addition, the Black Bulls somewhat remind me of Bleach's Squad 11. Yami's personality somewhat reminds me of Kenpachi Zaraki's except he looks like a better looking version of Mugen from Samurai Champloo and the protagonist of One Piece combined.

Black Clover is like a hybrid of those shows with similar looking characters except they have different twists to their stories and characteristics.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Gundam IBO is a damn good show. So is Gundam Unicorn, even if it's hard to follow, but I digress.

Mochi likes when anime and other shows on Toonami depict gay characters in a positive light; that's pretty much all there is to it!

I didn't see any S2 eps of IBO but going on the first season.... no. No to both of those.

To understand just how hated Black Clover is you have to look at its rank on MAL. 5313. People really hate this show.

Even Dimension W pulled a 2359. Think about that. People consider BC to be THAT much worse than DW.

S2 of TG which was considered an abomination even by fans of S1 beats BC easily, 1816.

I personally think that BC is just very mediocre, and its insanely low rank on MAL is just backlash for arriving much too late in the game as a generic shonen.

• Like 1

Its an anime review site, the biggest one basically. They have around 2 million members. It's a good measuring stick to see which anime are popular, and which anime are highly ranked, as in people actually think it's good. Unpopular anime can be highly rated sometimes, while popular anime can be terribly rated.

A great example of this is SAO. Number 3 on popularity. 1198 on rank. This reflects the very divided opinion the public has on SAO.

It's not perfect or anything but it's basically the best way to tell what the feelings of the public are towards a specific anime.

Speaking of reviews, here's one for this here episode:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/black-clover/episode-12/.125510

What!? You mean to tell me that stuff with Yuno and the Golden Dawn was FILLER!? Who knew!?

TL,DR: Rating: B-

So I guess that explains why the episode only retained 69% of DBZ Kai's viewers.

Hopefully this weekend's Page 13 will be a bit more "lucky!"

18 hours ago, Daos said:

Its an anime review site, the biggest one basically. They have around 2 million members. It's a good measuring stick to see which anime are popular, and which anime are highly ranked, as in people actually think it's good. Unpopular anime can be highly rated sometimes, while popular anime can be terribly rated.

A great example of this is SAO. Number 3 on popularity. 1198 on rank. This reflects the very divided opinion the public has on SAO.

It's not perfect or anything but it's basically the best way to tell what the feelings of the public are towards a specific anime.

Speaking of Sword Art Online, I never had the chance to watch it, when it was on the Toonami block. If anything, I mostly read and saw a bunch of complaints online about "tentacle rape" being in it.

Since I had to learn about Asian Art & Architecture for my BA years ago, we were exposed to wooden carved paintings with illustrations of tentacle sex and whatnot. We also learned a little about Manga and Anime illustrations. This included knowing which audience a certain Anime and Manga was meant for.

If I ever have time out of my hectic schedule, I may try watching at least episode 1 of Sword Art Online to see what all the fuss is about.

As for Dimension W, it simply could not keep my attention. It felt like I was watching a boring version of Chobits.

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Speaking of reviews, here's one for this here episode:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/black-clover/episode-12/.125510

What!? You mean to tell me that stuff with Yuno and the Golden Dawn was FILLER!? Who knew!?

TL,DR: Rating: B-

So I guess that explains why the episode only retained 69% of DBZ Kai's viewers.

Hopefully this weekend's Page 13 will be a bit more "lucky!"

Over the years, I have learned that there is quite a bit of infighting with Dragon Ball fans. I was never a fan of the Dragon Ball franchise. Therefore, their fan base's views cannot shape my views about liking Black Clover. What some may like, other people will dislike and vice versa.

• Like 1

SAO is actually the opposite of Black Clover in a way. While BC came into existence at a time when there was absolutely no appetite or patience for another generic Shonen, SAO came into being at exactly the PERFECT time for an Isekai anime.

7 hours ago, Daos said:

SAO is actually the opposite of Black Clover in a way. While BC came into existence at a time when there was absolutely no appetite or patience for another generic Shonen, SAO came into being at exactly the PERFECT time for an Isekai anime.

I mean they're both fucking terrible but you're not wrong

everyone is kinda fed up with the clichee'd generic state of shonen action series right now, whereas when SAO came out MMO animes were at the height of their popularity

On 3/4/2018 at 11:17 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

admittedly I can see why people love Gundam

I've just personally never been a fan, but I WANTED to like IBO at first when I heard that it had a gay character who lives all the way to the end

however I retracted that reason for wanting to like it after I saw that a ton of other seemingly gay characters all die in very quick succession, which negates the fact that one of them survives

It's worth noting that due to the timing of SAO being perfect, it's basically the most popular anime out there now. A new season called Alicization is coming out soon, along with a side story anime called Alternative Gun Gale online. There's a live action Netflix movie in production. ....at least 10 video games and a major theatrical release called Ordinal Scale.

Alternative Gun Gale Online is supposed to be coming in April Btw. Don't we have a spot opening in April on Toonami?

If Clover had come out at the perfect time, would it have had the same success? 

14 hours ago, Daos said:

It's worth noting that due to the timing of SAO being perfect, it's basically the most popular anime out there now. A new season called Alicization is coming out soon, along with a side story anime called Alternative Gun Gale online. There's a live action Netflix movie in production. ....at least 10 video games and a major theatrical release called Ordinal Scale.

Alternative Gun Gale Online is supposed to be coming in April Btw. Don't we have a spot opening in April on Toonami?

If Clover had come out at the perfect time, would it have had the same success? 

tumblr_nik6b7W97a1s2wio8o1_500.gif

On 3/4/2018 at 5:39 AM, Daos said:

It's kind of like if you had made a decent time travel themed anime a year after Stein's gate. It may have been decent, but it will be forever be torn apart as that shitty inferior version of Stein's Gate that no one wanted. This is similar to what happened with Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, which will always be considered an inferior AOT knockoff.

Basically.... if this had come out in the 90's it would have been hailed as a great anime.

Oh and the Japanese VA for Asta really poisoned the well on this one.

Yeah but you could that argue with the addition of the brilliant One-Punch Man, MHA is superlative.

I really have no interest in My Hero Academia though.  And apparently the main character is a whiny crybaby bitch boy, and I've more than had my fill of those kinds of characters. 

It is dumb though.  People had to know that with MHA being a Netflix series, that it is never coming to Toonami.

I mean yeah I guess Black Clover isn't earth shattering or anything, but not every show can be or needs to be.  I find it enjoyable for what it is, and it actually does things better than other series.  Asta and Yuno are already a better friendship than Naruto and Sasuke ever were.  I'd watch this any day over HxH.  Characters are likable and things happen.  I do get the Shonen fatigue thing though.

What?!  But the Japanese version is ALWAYS superior!:D I didn't watch this subbed so yeah I didn't have to deal with that.

Edited by ben0119

On 3/4/2018 at 11:43 PM, PurgatoryGirl said:

Quite a few nit pickers did throw tantrums on at least another forum about My Hero Academia being overlooked for Black Clover. Like you said, there were also those other nit pickers comparing Asta to Naruto, how Black Clover was a "Naruto ripoff," and about Asta's screaming.

Without a doubt, I can see some of Asta's similarities to Naruto and Yuno's similarities to Sasuke. I can especially see Vanessa's similarities to Bleach's Rangiku and how Asta's sword looks somewhat similar to Ichigo's Zanpakuto.

In addition, the Black Bulls somewhat remind me of Bleach's Squad 11. Yami's personality somewhat reminds me of Kenpachi Zaraki's except he looks like a better looking version of Mugen from Samurai Champloo and the protagonist of One Piece combined.

Black Clover is like a hybrid of those shows with similar looking characters except they have different twists to their stories and characteristics.

You forgot Fairy Tail.  The Black Bulls are like the Fairy Tail guild, always rough housing and causing trouble for "polite society."  There's a half-dressed drunk girl that looks and acts much like the one in this series.  That's the show this series takes a lot of inspiration from.  That and Naruto.  But I think it improves on Naruto.  Kenpachi and Yami, never thought about that.  They're not that similar to me except superficially.  Kenpachi doesn't get drunk and blow money gambling, etc.  Yami seems to have more comedy scenes.  I agree with the Zanpakuto resemblance.

But yeah agree with last paragraph.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, mochi said:

admittedly I can see why people love Gundam

I've just personally never been a fan, but I WANTED to like IBO at first when I heard that it had a gay character who lives all the way to the end

however I retracted that reason for wanting to like it after I saw that a ton of other seemingly gay characters all die in very quick succession, which negates the fact that one of them survives

Hahahahaha is THAT why you hate IBO now? :D There really is no satisfying you.

You should know by now that no one is safe in Gundam.  There's typically a high body count too.

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

You forgot Fairy Tail.  The Black Bulls are like the Fairy Tail guild, always rough housing and causing trouble for "polite society."  There's a half-dressed drunk girl that looks and acts much like the one in this series.  That's the show this series takes a lot of inspiration from.  That and Naruto. 

Ah, I see. I've always heard fans talk about Fairy Tail but have never watched it.