UnevenEdge

Could Re:Zero be coming to Toonami??

OwlChemist81

33 minutes ago, Blatch said:

To my knowledge, Crunchyroll has no affiliation with BC's Toonami airing, probably since they focus on subs and thus only have the rights to that one. You can prove this through a quick look at the credits.

Demarco actually name dropped them on Preflight when talking about it “From Funimation and Crunchyroll “ was how I believe he put it

• Thanks 1

Oddly, the VA's for the dub are not Funimation's heavy hitters. They seem to be mostly people with very little experience.

On further investigation this is actually a "Bang Zoom" Dub done from LA instead of Funimation's HQ in Texas. Hope they do good!

• Like 2

Well, Subaru and Emilia's VAs aren't as well known, but the side characters are voiced by pretty much every industry regular you would expect. Rem's VA (Brianna Knickerbocker) has been in stuff I've watched, most notably in the Love Live! dub as Eli's younger sister.

15 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Well, Subaru and Emilia's VAs aren't as well known, but the side characters are voiced by pretty much every industry regular you would expect. Rem's VA (Brianna Knickerbocker) has been in stuff I've watched, most notably in the Love Live! dub as Eli's younger sister.

Yeah she's been in some stuff, but bit roles like Elaine in SDS. It just seems odd they didn't bring out their top tier talent for a dub like this.

So it's now Friday night and we still have no info on Outlaw Star's replacement, fifteen days out. That's the same amount of time it took for Black Clover to be announced, which is the shortest for any premiere.

What's taking them this long? Are they really trying to fast-track the intended Lupin replacement, only for it to take longer than usual? And could Re:Zero actually be it? I'm at my wits end. At this point, maybe they're not planning to replace OS with anything, and it'll just be a half-hour downsizing for the block. I was expecting this to happen at some point in the year, but not this early.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Blatch said:

So it's now Friday night and we still have no info on Outlaw Star's replacement, fifteen days out. That's the same amount of time it took for Black Clover to be announced, which is the shortest for any premiere.

What's taking them this long? Are they really trying to fast-track the intended Lupin replacement, only for it to take longer than usual? And could Re:Zero actually be it? I'm at my wits end. At this point, maybe they're not planning to replace OS with anything, and it'll just be a half-hour downsizing for the block. I was expecting this to happen at some point in the year, but not this early.

There must be something wrong with the intended replacement if they still haven’t said anything. If it’s somethings brand new they usually would want to start promoting  by now. 

Couple of theories:

1. They could have still been trying to get Lupins replacement on the lineup and it’s being held up still. If that’s the case, we might be getting another rerun at 2:00 AM. They may still not know if its going to be able to happen but are still holding out hope.

2. They aren’t going to run this new show until after April Fools if whatever gag they do preempts the post midnight portion of the block. In that case, they may just air both parts of the Bebop finale on 3/24 and we get a whole new schedule on 4/7.

I still think they should give us some idea about what’s going on though at this point.

9 minutes ago, Blatch said:

seems more likely it's re:zero and they're gonna announce it during the reddit ama tomorrow, i guess

• Like 1

1 minute ago, korosu said:

seems more likely it's re:zero and they're gonna announce it during the reddit ama tomorrow, i guess

That would be interesting. I just hope nobody bombards Sarah with questions about that because it’s not something she would even know anything about. 

Could still be an on air announcement. 

2 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

That would be interesting. I just hope nobody bombards Sarah with questions about that because it’s not something she would even know anything about. 

Could still be an on air announcement. 

i was thinking it would go in the op. on air announcement is likely too.

12 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

2. They aren’t going to run this new show until after April Fools if whatever gag they do preempts the post midnight portion of the block. In that case, they may just air both parts of the Bebop finale on 3/24 and we get a whole new schedule on 4/7.

I like this theory. They should do this.

• Like 2

It says when right in the message you quoted, pay more attention when you're excited dammit.

Apparently I failed to realize you were referring to the time as opposed to the date. So sorry. :$

I couldn't find anything on the time for what you're talking about, but there's an AMA with voice actress Sarah Anne Williams (Lizbeth, Nonon, Neferpitou) going on in the Toonami Reddit tomorrow at 5PM. Maybe that's the AMA that's going on.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

It says when right in the message you quoted, pay more attention when you're excited dammit.

Apparently I failed to realize you were referring to the time as opposed to the date. So sorry. :$

I couldn't find anything on the time for what you're talking about, but there's an AMA with voice actress Sarah Anne Williams (Lizbeth, Nonon, Neferpitou) going on in the Toonami Reddit tomorrow at 5PM. Maybe that's the AMA that's going on.

That’s what they’re talking about. I think everyone had this expectation that it would line up with ReZero being announced. Since this isn’t sanctioned with Toonami, I don’t see them giving her permission to announce it or anything on the AMA, but who knows?

30 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

That is the one. I don't know why you'd be confused, but either way, it's cool. B|

Edited by Blatch

But that's a general premiere date.

FUNi announced the cast of Re:ZERO at least three months before it's even set to release, and they said it the dub would be airing elsewhere before its release, and not on their video service. Unless it's still in legal trouble, it's pretty clear that Re:ZERO is Outlaw Star's replacement.

12 hours ago, Blatch said:

My hatred of them waiting until the previous 2 weeks to announce a replacement/new show is well-known. -_- It's even worse when you monitor the anime news and you know which shows are getting a simuldub or it's a highly anticipated show and Toonami has NOT announced a simul-broadcast yet, which THEN mean we won't get a "NEW' new anime airing.

Edited by elfie

Late reply:

12 hours ago, Blatch said:

I wouldn't say it was the shortest overall. For present-day Toonami, yeah, but not neo-Toonami overall. Soul Eater took two weeks to get announced. Tenchi Muyo! GXP took one. Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins, less than one.

18 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

But that's a general premiere date.

FUNi announced the cast of Re:ZERO at least three months before it's even set to release, and they said it the dub would be airing elsewhere before its release, and not on their video service. Unless it's still in legal trouble, it's pretty clear that Re:ZERO is Outlaw Star's replacement.

They actually said it would air somewhere before the home video release? That’s a pretty huge hint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2018 at 1:19 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but a summer debut for Part 1 on home video just seems to scream dub premiere on Toonami!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-02-17/funimation-announces-re-zero-home-video-release/.127900

What's even more interesting is the time this story was posted: Exactly 22:00 EST on a Saturday night, which of course corresponds to 23:00 EDT, as Daylight Savings Time would be in effect this summer. Could we be talking about DBZ Kai's replacement here?? Some are saying it might be FLCL but I'm "fully-cooly" expecting that to be a 10 PM expansion show!

As for Re:Zero, could make a great pairing with Black Clover for a "Dark Fantasy" hour at 11 PM Saturday nights!

I'm not getting my hopes up anymore.  Demarco has picked up too many shitty shows and second stringers.

Stop trying to theme shows together that don't go together.  How is Black Clover dark exactly?  And "fully-cooly"... ugh.

On 2/19/2018 at 8:56 PM, PurgatoryGirl said:

I'm actually surprised that Anime News Network never bothered to announce, that Stardust Crusaders' "Battle In Egypt" Arc was premiering last Saturday night. 

As far as shows go, I hope Blue Exorcist's 2nd season does eventually get acquired. However, it would be much better to re-air Season 1 for a recap. Then follow it up with Season 2. 

Meanwhile, I still say Black Butler should be acquired for the block. Some may be opposed to Black Butler, but there is quite a bit of action in it. Also, the series is meant for an adult audience. 

Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga is a Hulu Exclusive.  It won't be on Toonami.

On 2/20/2018 at 12:25 AM, Daos said:

Has Demarco shown any sign that he's aware of it's existence? 

The dub could be quite a few months away still.

I say Kabaneri is still the front runner.

Black Butler is from 2008, it's not happening.

Eh, Toonami has aired shows "late" before.

On 2/24/2018 at 8:31 AM, brianycpht said:

The thing is that back when he made that tweet, he had no idea how long it was going to take to clear the legal issues. He just threw that out there as a possibility.

Also: since XML was updated today, it looks like no St.Patricks Day marathon like some of us were speculating! Whew!

On 2/24/2018 at 10:01 AM, elfie said:

Really? .... they got a clover-themed anime right in their lap, and no St. Patrick's Day marathon?

Don't give them any ideas.  Demarco will use any minor-ass holiday he can as an excuse to run a marathon.  It was probably Alchemist that started that shit anyway.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:38 AM, brianycpht said:

I guess it would’ve been a cool theme, but I’d rather they didn’t especially since you know they could preempt the block post midnight on 3/31 with some April Fools gag.

They better fucking not.  Not if they have any sense.  That Rick & Morty abomination screwed us out of a week of shows, derailed momentum, and damaged Toonami for weeks if not months.

On 2/27/2018 at 5:22 AM, PokeNirvash said:

Well you suck at letting us know it's sarcasm. A face like this >_> or even this 9_9 would be better than nothing, which just makes you sound absolutely serious.

You say I'm more autistic than you and you took that seriously?  Did you honestly believe elfie would really impale a nail into his forehead?

mike tyson mysteries is taking easter off. if there's no show until after april fools' the only other thing i can think of is doubling bebop the 24th then having an "easter marathon" with 3 episodes of a show then an april fools' joke just because they would otherwise have to announce that there's a joke.

Edited by korosu

19 hours ago, elfie said:

My hatred of them waiting until the previous 2 weeks to announce a replacement/new show is well-known. -_- It's even worse when you monitor the anime news and you know which shows are getting a simuldub or it's a highly anticipated show and Toonami has NOT announced a simul-broadcast yet, which THEN mean we won't get a "NEW' new anime airing.

But don't you just love to be SURPRISED!!!!1, elfie?  Demarco realizes it's good to promote things well ahead of time right?  And to give people time to set their DVRs?

6 hours ago, ben0119 said:

They better fucking not.  Not if they have any sense.  That Rick & Morty abomination screwed us out of a week of shows, derailed momentum, and damaged Toonami for weeks if not months.

Unfortunately I can’t see them passing up the opportunity. Although, I’ve been of the mindset that they should just mess with the packaging instead of the shows so as not to get people angry like they did last year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, korosu said:

mike tyson mysteries is taking easter off. if there's no show until after april fools' the only other thing i can think of is doubling bebop the 24th then having an "easter marathon" with 3 episodes of a show then an april fools' joke just because they would otherwise have to announce that there's a joke.

Maybe it's just coincidental for Easter, but I was wondering if maybe this year's gag would also affect the comedy. If they do a stealth premiere of FLCL 2 in any capacity, having it air in PT on the 1st would be a nice way for Toonami to get back at last year's gag.

15 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Maybe it's just coincidental for Easter, but I was wondering if maybe this year's gag would also affect the comedy. If they do a stealth premiere of FLCL 2 in any capacity, having it air in PT on the 1st would be a nice way for Toonami to get back at last year's gag.

That WOULD be an interesting touch!

The question is, are we talking midnight on 4/1 after Black Clover, or are we talking like 10 PM on 3/31?

For FLCL2 Episode 1 to air at Midnight instead of JoJo would be interesting, but you wouldn't just play THAT until 4 AM, would you?

What might be neat is an FLCL takeover like so:

Midnight: PREMIERE FLCL2 #1; 12:30-3:30 FLCL #1-#6 in HD; 3:30 FLCL2 #1 encore

On 3/4/2018 at 3:35 AM, 3ngag3 said:

They announced the English cast for RE: Zero.

Take it with a grain of salt.

I'm shocked that FUNi was able to secure Bang Zoom talent from California for the Re;Zero dub, but knowing some of these VA's already, it'll probably turn out good. Mishima from P5 was a good fit for Subaru. Not sure if Toonami will pick it up, but it would be a good fit for the block if they did. Judging from their selection of Black Clover, however, it's hard to put stock in whether they'll choose a decent show to pair alongside FLCL 2-3.

Re:ZERO is actually a Crunchyroll license, and they've recently been tapping L.A. talent for several of their shows now. Alongside Re:ZERO, Mob Psycho 100 and The Testament of Sister New Devil were dubbed at Bang Zoom!, while the English versions of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and Bungo Stray Dogs were left to STUDIOPOLIS to produce. And that goes without mentioning them going to Ocean Studios for Gintama Season 4 and Kiznaiver.

Edited by PokeNirvash

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Daos said:

I can disqualify it just because Aniplex never does simuldubs, unless they somehow outsource one to Funi.

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

On SUNDAY night? That would certainly be interesting, but I don't see that coming. So far the only action animation to air in that timeslot is Season 5 of Samurai Jack!

I think it's an underrated proposal, mostly since it would give some serious catharsis to people who were upset by Rick and Morty preempting anime last year. But I won't name anyone in particular. B|

Edited by Blatch

Actually, soon after I posted that, we got an announcement that Sentai is going to be simuldubbing stuff... err, they're called "dubcasts", since Funi owns the trademark for the basic term.

It's kind of funny. I personally don't think that this'll impact whether or not more Sentai shows air on Toonami (since they already never do), but you never know.

Edited by Blatch
Would that work better as italicized or bolded?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

For god's sake Elfie, he's being sarcastic, how have you not gotten that yet?

No.  Nothing in his post indicates he was being sarcastic except for the article itself. 90% of all sarcasm is lost to the reader when it's online instead of in person.