UnevenEdge

Black Panther will be out next week!!!!

Mix

I am not ready for this. I AM NOT READY FOR THIS! Black Panther is the only movie whose trailers have made me squeal in delight every time I watch them. And my God, how does Michael B. Jordan walk with that kind of swag? Honestly, Black Panther is my sexual preference, and I'm afraid all those beautiful people are gonna make me hyperventilate in the theater. I'M NOT READY FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SorceressPol said:

I am not ready for this. I AM NOT READY FOR THIS! Black Panther is the only movie whose trailers have made me squeal in delight every time I watch them. And my God, how does Michael B. Jordan walk with that kind of swag? Honestly, Black Panther is my sexual preference, and I'm afraid all those beautiful people are gonna make me hyperventilate in the theater. I'M NOT READY FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I'm going to re-watch it a minimum of five times in the first week alone.....it's that serious

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

Mix, I'm using a curling iron to do my hair for this. I haven't touched a curling iron since 2010.

my sister has told me of the evils of the curling iron O.o

haha

i'm wearing my church clothes for this.....I'm buying church clothes, then wearing them....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Noboru Yamaguchi said:

What sucks is it'll still not do a well as much shittier super hero movies......At this week's black caucus meeting, we need to make going to see this mandatory......The kids and I are going and I pirate everything.....Not this.  Take my money.

why do you think i'm going to see it five times....I only went to see Avatar three times 

12 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

Since I don't want to taint Black Panther with negativity, I won't joke on you for liking the live action Ferngully.

I've never watched it, but just checked out the trailer....it's does check a lot of boxes, but nothing can diminish Avatar in my eyes

I watched it this weekend. It was a pretty fun movie, but it's still a Marvel movie, so it has everything you'd expect from a Marvel movie (an easy-to-follow "hero's journey" plot, one-liners and jokes, CGI sorcery, etc.). There was enough in Black Panther to make it a worthwhile watch though with how likeable T'Challa is as a protagonist, the fun that Andy Serkis and Michael B. Jordan have in their roles, how amazing the women of the film are, how well-shot some of the sequences are such as the heart-shaped herb segments and the scenes in Busan, and the soundtrack.

To me, it's designated within the "Above Average" category as far as Marvel movies go, since I have a way of categorizing three types of Marvel movies: "Above Average" follows the formula, but has enough of its own personality and umph to it to stand out as a really good standalone movie. "Average" is something that's serviceable, but does absolutely nothing to differentiate itself from other films within the MCU. "Below Average" are objectively bad rankings. This would be an example of how I'd categorize the MCU:

Above Average: Black Panther, Spiderman: Homecoming, Iron Man 1, Thor 1, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Average: Avengers, Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Captain America 1.

Below Average: Avengers 2, Civil War, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 & 3, Thor 2.

I really enjoyed the film though, and would give it alot of credit for still being able to pull off a good Marvel origin story formula without it feeling overly stale.

After getting delayed with family stuff yesterday, I finally got to see it today. My theater was more packed than when the last Star Wars movies came out, and the few showings that weren't sold out got booked up with people from other counties because theirs was totally sold out. I really underestimated how well Black Panther would do.

On to the movie itself: I honestly can't think of anything wrong with it right now because my brain wants to focus on all the things I loved. Like Wakanda, Shuri, all the female warriors, seeing more of T'challa's personality, and the hotness I been knew about who was the leader of the Jabari and played Mini in Person of Interest. 

The movie never felt slow to me until we were sitting through the credits for the extra scenes. This was also the only time our theater was filled to the brim with black folks and bless them. They all had a bunch of kids, but none of them acted up. 

Edited by SorceressPol
  • Like 1

I wound up having to go the the 8pm showing since it was the earliest show that wasn't sold out. When I picked out my tickets at the machine, the seating map showed three (3!) seats unsold after I bought mine. I can't help but laugh my ass off at the people who said Black Panther's box office numbers were going to suffer.

The movie was great. The heart-shaped herb scenes were nothing short of gorgeous. The scene where Bilbo got barked at was hilarious and the whole theater was laughing like hell. I mean, come on dude. You were told to be quiet by a member of the local nobility in his own chambers, yet you keep talking. Would you keep interrupting Queen Elizabeth? Or the President?

Erik Killmonger is one of my favorite Marvel villains now. Dude had every right to be pissed and honestly, had a damn good point. Most tragic Marvel villain since Zemo.

• Like 1

took me all week, but I finally saw it....first viewing, so i'm not going to get into the things I think could have been done better.....just gonna celebrate the dopeness over the wackness....This movie, much like GOTG, was built on it's wealth of awesome characters....can't say enough good things about them, but my man M'baku stole the show imho....Kilmonger was as everyone said, but M'baku should have gotten more love and, hopefully in the next one, more screen time....Shuri's one liners were killing me and Lupita looked amazing.....

the final battle's call back to lion king was hella dope....the king returns to be backed up by the lionesses (dora milaje) against the usurper and his hyenas....shit was picturesque.....my childhood came full circle

• Like 1

Also I consider myself a nerd, in the sense I follow all things marvel, dc, and still play d&d.

What was the mid credit cut scene referencing? I mean... It didn't give much foreshadowing and I would have assumed it was to set up infinity wars, I'm hoping it means they are sharing their tech with stark? But why the fuck even go to the un with that shit?

Edited by Clu