UnevenEdge

Toonami 2018 Predictions

Blatch

We're almost at 2017's absolute end, and while it's been asked elsewhere what we think will take Lupin the Third's spot, I wanted to make a thread so we can discuss in general what the future might hold for the better cartoon show. What you think can be as optimistic or cynical as you want. Now, here are my thoughts:

• Blood Blockade Battlefront replaces Lupin, as previously stated.
  • FLCL 2 airs in April.
  • Attack on Titan S3 replaces FLCL 2.
  • For reruns, they bring back Space Dandy and The Big O in HD, and Samurai Jack S5 airs again at some point in the year.
  • Made in Abyss airs on Toonami before the end of the year. Big whoop!
  • If they go for any movie, I'd say Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale has a good chance of airing.
  • The block expands to 10:00 p.m. to accommodate either new FLCL season. I think the second replacing DBZ Kai is plausible, but it isn't my strong opinion; this would be more likely for the third (and not to mention, four schedule expansions in less than a year would be blowing their load too hard)
    • If Kai does take a break, I think there's a better chance of AoT S3 replacing Gundam. Otherwise, I would say another recent Funi simuldub such as Knight's & Magic will replace that one.
    • Also, there's a block retraction at some point in the year. I would expect it to happen when a rerun finishes, and before they expand to 10:00.
  • They get through Part 3 of JoJo's and Diamond is Unbreakable airs close to the year's end, but if not then, in Q1 2019. So much for potential soiling.
  • FLCL 3 either airs in November (which I consider probable) or is delayed until 2019.
  • Black Clover airs at least half of its alleged 51-episode run.
  • At least one co-production is announced during the year. I'm betting on Children of Ether as a Toonami show.

Me's also made a spreadsheet with at least several of these changes seen out to next year's conclusion.

Edited by Blatch
Eh, I guess a spoiler isn't needed..
  • Like 2

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 replaces Lupin.

If this is supposed to indicate the premiere order - personally I can't see any logical reason it could - FLCL 2 replaces IBO but in an earlier slot. I was hoping all 6 episodes would air without a week break during it, but this probably is just the easiest way to do it. Hopefully Black Clover's new slot after this is permanent. With only two episodes of Kai left after this, it finishes in its new slot.

The Big O replaces Outlaw Star. Space Dandy replaces Bebop. IGPX or Samurai Jack HD replaces 2nd GIG. All 18 FLCL episodes replace one of these. After another run of these shows, we might see 3 am being used for older series, with one rerun slot after, used for the shows they own and any reruns of new seasons where they've rerun the show before (Attack on Titan, One-Punch Man).

Gundam Wing replaces The Big O.

If it's ready by then, One-Punch Man season 2 replaces FLCL 2 in the same slot. FLCL 3 replaces OPM S02. The slot is used for short series going forward.

Attack on Titan season 3 replaces JoJo.

No expansions.

It's hard to predict some of the shows that will air when I'm thinking it'll be stuff like the new SAO, Tokyo Ghoul:re, Promare, hopefully DARLING in the FRANXX, all we don't know the episode counts for.

The only prediction I can make is this: I will continue to wish for shows and movies I expect them to air, and then Toonami will continue to underwhelm me with more Dragonball Z shows, GUNDAM, the dub premiere of Boruto which will last for 20 more years, another season of a previous hit show they premiered, no movies, more marathons, and repeats of old darlings they have been reairing for years. Because when reality hits, it hits hard.

Oh, I can also make one other one: FLCL 2 and 3.

Edited by elfie

6 hours ago, korosu said:

If this is supposed to indicate the premiere order - personally I can't see any logical reason it could - FLCL 2 replaces IBO but in an earlier slot. I was hoping all 6 episodes would air without a week break during it, but this probably is just the easiest way to do it. Hopefully Black Clover's new slot after this is permanent. With only two episodes of Kai left after this, it finishes in its new slot.

I definitely took that into account for my own spreadsheets. It also depends on, since April Fool's Day is on a Sunday this year, if they preempt anything in the block for a gag or not. Though I have a stronger feeling that they won't, either February or the first two weeks of April would be ideal for an uninterrupted run.

Also, I forgot to say what I think the gag will be... either they draw moustaches on the characters again, or it's a Kemono Friends stealth dub premiere marathon. B|

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

I definitely took that into account for my own spreadsheets. It also depends on, since April Fool's Day is on a Sunday this year, if they preempt anything in the block for a gag or not. Though I have a stronger feeling that they won't, either February or the first two weeks of April would be ideal for an uninterrupted run.

Also, I forgot to say what I think the gag will be... either they draw moustaches on the characters again, or it's a Kemono Friends stealth dub premiere marathon. B|

Yeah I really wonder what they're gonna do mid-block. Probably packaging related, though they do tend to surprise. My only other idea would be to rerun the 2012 april fools' block. If they preempt the 12-4 shows then FLCL 2 would be May. Unless something like GITS Arise - Alternative Architecture replaces Lupin and FLCL 2 airs uninterrupted after that.

Of course this all depends on IBO skipping that episode :S

If the schedule isn't fixed by whenever it shows up on the main site I'll let Jason know to get that fixed.

Edited by korosu

Yeah, Ghost in the Shell Arise is another show I'd kind of really expect them to do eventually. If they do it, it would be great if they could also air the "Arise movie" (GITS: The New Movie) after the episodes. As that's the real conclusion and finishes the alternate origin story since it follows right from Arise.

And the full team really working together and fully establishing themselves in the movie makes it feel great to watch, like SAC.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:05 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Another year, another claim that Toonami's gonna use their leftover cash from this year to pick up and air GARO.

Heh.

I wouldn't mind them at all. The first Garo and also Vanishing Line (which I'm currently watching) are great. Vanishing Line would really be right at home on Toonami with its modern and western stylings. Great dub performances too in these.

Edited by DangerMouse

8 hours ago, Jman said:

Darling in the Franxx will air as part of the tradition of the Adult Swim/Trigger partnership.

Also if Yamato 2199 airs, it will be called Star Blazers, same as the dub.

Yeah, I really feel like Yamato has a sizable shot due to what it is plus being a retro remake with great production values, plus Franxx I could totally see getting on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elfie said:

Adult Swim has a TRIGGER partnership?

Well not in the most literal sense, but they technically hired Trigger for that Black Dynamite opening.

And everyone was instantly disappointed they weren’t used for the actual show. 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, Jman said:

Darling in the Franxx will air as part of the tradition of the Adult Swim/Trigger partnership.

Also if Yamato 2199 airs, it will be called Star Blazers, same as the dub.

I hope Darling in the Franxx does air. It would be an ideal show to take a break from Gundam. And that is a good point: would they simply call "Star Blazers" that or would they add the "2199" on the end? I think FUNimation refers to it as "Star Blazers 2199", so I believe they'd go with that.

Makes sense.

I know it’s the usual quality FUNi Dub with literal translations and Japanese names, but they’re still using the title of the American adaptation from the 70’s.  That had to be part of the contract from whoever they subleased it from.