UnevenEdge

.hack//Sign: A very human anime

ZoomBubba

On 12/14/2017 at 5:31 PM, ZoomBubba said:

Anyone remember .hack//Sign? 

It hit screens 15 years ago in Japan, before joining Cartoon Network's Saturday programming before Toonami and Adult Swim took over the entire block.

Unlike it's successors, it's actually pretty good.

http://bit.ly/2AKKUJy

31357-crim-and-bt-hack-sign-2560x1440-anime-wallpaper-768x432.jpg

if you talk to a Sword art Online fan they'll use insane troll Logic to try and claim .Hack//Sign was a rip off of SAO

even though .hack//Sign predates SAO by about 10 years

Edited by mochi

I've never seen Sign beyond coming across it once or twice while weekend channel-surfing, but I watched over half of Legend of the Twilight Bracelet while waiting for Yu Yu Hakusho on early Saturday mornings, and 14 episodes of Roots my sister got the DVDs for. I might give .hack a shot in the future, but not anytime soon.

(BTW, Edge > Obsession > New World = Silly-Go-Round.)

As for SAO, it's a good thing I don't play or even care about MMORPGs, so I can't really complain about what they're doing wrong while watching it like all you other "experts".

The series was pretty great.  That could be nostalgia talking, as I haven't watched it in years, but I really liked the whole concept and story-telling aspects of it.  I think it felt reflective of how a lot of us on the ASMB were at the time, to be honest.  We all put on these different personalities on the boards, and as we got to know each other we started revealing who we really were, layer by layer.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:42 AM, Mohri said:

You guys are forgetting to mention the absolutely amazing sound track. I used to listen to it as I grinded out Final Fantasy XI and Phantasy Star Universe. 

Yeah, I think the music was really the best part of it. .hack//Sign is the only anime my father ever liked, probably ever even watched, and I think it was because of the music. He even went out and bought the DVDs for it when they first came out, and got a few of the soundtracks that came with some of the special editions.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it enough to keep watching, but a lot of the time I thought it was pretty boring. It might be that I just wasn't old enough to appreciate it.

Twilight Bracelet was plain bad, but I enjoyed the manga. Roots got boring pretty fast, like it was twice as long as it needed to be.

I enjoyed the OVA that came out a few years ago, though.