UnevenEdge

Hunter x Hunter Episode 76 Discussion

A few things from this episode.

One is that it's implied here that Gon does not know Kite, while in the 1999 series, they made it clear that the two knew each other. In fact it was Kite that told Gon his daddy was alive. Also, in the 1999 series, Ging didn't really abandon Gon. Mito took his ass to court and won custody of the boy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

A few things from this episode.

One is that it's implied here that Gon does not know Kite, while in the 1999 series, they made it clear that the two knew each other. In fact it was Kite that told Gon his daddy was alive. Also, in the 1999 series, Ging didn't really abandon Gon. Mito took his ass to court and won custody of the boy.

This is why I was told to watch the first episode of the 1999 anime before this. Sure they reanimated it in flashbacks here, but there the pacing seems more natural.

As someone who holds this anime in high regards and is a big fan of the manga. I have to say I have very mixed feelings about Ging, I think mainly because the anime/manga through the first half of the show builds Ging up to be an irresponsible deadbeat that doesn't give a shit about his son. I think it is more accurate to say that Ging is not malicious but rather is very bad with social interactions and people in general.

Following is my personal assessment based on the end for knowledge of HxH it contains very light though non-descript spoilers for the anime and manga.

I have a feeling based on what I know that he probably felt that Gon would be better off without him and the life that being a Hunter as a father would bring. This is particularly evident to me in more recent chapters of the manga, and Ging is actually shown as being very sympathetic and caring towards Gon. Whether or not he regrets his decision to basically not be a part of his life is still pretty much unknown. HxH has some very emotionally and ethically complex characters in any shounen in general.

I love that you guys finally got to meet Kite, I personally love Kite he is one of my favorite characters in the entire series. Other than Netero he is probably my favorite adult character, to be honest. He is also a major fan favorite in general, I think pretty much everyone here will really like him.