UnevenEdge

Negima... and it's new sequel UQ Holder, are all harem animes this strange?

Sandstone

So, I got an interesting bit of info from a friend of mine to watch UQ Holder as it is an action magic shounen which is a similar type of anime to Naruto supposedly. So I never have watched Negima, I tend to avoid anything labeled Harem anime like the plague as I typically find it annoying. This one is rather interesting though if not only for the fact that it is rather bizarre in several respects. Some spoilers including below regarding my contentions about the nature of this anime/manga... and the fact that UQ Holder and Negima has canon lesbians and now a gender queer character (UQ Holder).

So, this anime is particularly strange I think in that Negima seems to have group of high school girls who return to school for what I think is their Junior year, and upon arriving they are greeted by an unexpected 10-year-old boy prodigy that has graduated college (and is also apparently a wizard in training for some reason). The anime gets weird in the first episode with the girls all going crazy and fawning over him, and groping him all over... (I'm not even lying). Not to mention the other main character and protagonist girl is the only one that hates him and is suspicious of his strange abilities. She has a grudge because she thought they were getting a different teacher from the previous year, who she is apparently in love with. The conversation devolves into her and the popular class rep girl catfighting about how good or bad said boy teacher is and the protagonist repeatedly calling her a pedophile while the other accusing her of liking old men. There are apparent canonical lesbians even hinted from the first couple of episodes so far (but according to what I've heard are definitely confirm later).

One of the girls is saying "I hope our teacher is a woman" while blushing, and the other girls chiding her for being put off by men and that she should get used to half the population being men. One of the other girls draws out a yaoi hentai mag (not exaggerating this either literally shows the magazine) and tells her that she should read this to get used to them. And yet another girl says "No I wasn't talking about those types of men". This is just in the first episode btw... I've only watched to episode 2 so far, but it just keeps getting weirder. I do find the overt mentions and normalized behavior of canonical lesbian and supposedly later gender queer characters to be somewhat surprising and refreshing, but I still think this anime is super bizarre....

:| :| :|

Oh, and I forgot to mention:

They manage to somehow show the main protagonist's panties twice in the first episode.... which the boy teacher "sneezes" to somehow magically blow her skirt up. :|

Yes, all harem anime are this weird

also I'm still waiting for a gay male Harem series

edit: Sandstone[/member] also a little research has confirmed that it doesn't exactly have a genderqueer character

it has a character from a race who have no biological sex until puberty than choose which gender they will be

he starts off wanting to be male, but then changes his mind and decides to be a girl just so he can be a part of the main character's Harem (Because Heaven forbid one of the MC's love interests be a guy)

I had read a bit about it in a review of the manga, that there was a whole diatribe between him and one of the girls demanding that he choose to be female. :|

The show is weird, I'm not gonna go out of my way to finish this probably. Harem stuff is indeed to annoying to me personally. I can handle ecchi stuff sometimes depending on how it is done, but harems are weird fantasies that don't appeal to me personally. I don't even think I'd find a gay harem interesting, it'd probably be just weird....

I had read a bit about it in a review of the manga, that there was a whole diatribe between him and one of the girls demanding that he choose to be female. :|

The show is weird, I'm not gonna go out of my way to finish this probably. Harem stuff is indeed to annoying to me personally. I can handle ecchi stuff sometimes depending on how it is done, but harems are weird fantasies that don't appeal to me personally. I don't even think I'd find a gay harem interesting, it'd probably be just weird....

Ironically this isn't the only Harem anime where one of the protagonists love interests used to be male but transformed into a woman just so the Hero wouldn't have to be Bi

Homura From Sekirei

2-4162.jpg

he is Confirmed to be male, but he apparently was forcibly shapeshifted into a woman against his will for no fucking reason (the protagonist even says he still views him as a man and loves him anyway)

and, weirdly enough

Noike Kamiki from Tenchi Muyo

9180-1612603239.jpg

she is revealed to be a genderflipped duplicate of Kagato, the villian of the first OVA

5cfb37c2db27ddbe5eacdd045e6e817f.jpg

Sandstone[/member]

Yeah I don't get the preoccupation some authors seem to have with guys loving other guys but wishing they were female instead. Seems a bit strange to me, but then again it's not what I like so maybe I'm biased. To each their own I guess. I just won't be watching it, I can't sit through 26 episodes of this shit just to get to see an anime that may have what some people say is a gender queer character about 7 episodes in....

I thought I'd be able to whip out an example from out of nowhere, but honestly, harem anime is weird. If it's not the same Ken Akamatsu-esque rehash of a tsundere/manic pixie that has to compete with a line of other women for the attention of a milquetoast loser, it's a satire of harems that would involve debauchery and ecchi on the protagonist or the harem's behalf, has some kind of bonkers/cutesy sense of humor, or has some weird supernatural twist to it.

The most normal one I know is.....maybe Clannad? Or White Album? Toradora might count?

*cough*

kuroko_no_basket_650606.jpg

One of my gf's old friends was trying to convince the both of us that he watches the show because he likes basketball, and there's nothing homoerotic about the men of the show. As someone who cleared through the first season and half of the second, I got really giddy about the prospect of laying it all out there how much of Kuroko no Basket was about a guy's old teammates showing up to be jealous and upset that he moved on with another partner who is 100% compatible with him.

I did pick up on the subtext easier because I was into a lot of yaoi when I first saw it, but the schadenfreude from watching someone desperately try to act like the homoeroticism of Taiga and Kuroko's bond was bros being bros was like Christmas. Like when people see the GIF of Ocelot kissing Snake in MGS4 and are like "It's totally not gay! He was just trying to embarrass him," discounting every other time that Ocelot had expressed he had feelings for Big Boss.

One of my gf's old friends was trying to convince the both of us that he watches the show because he likes basketball, and there's nothing homoerotic about the men of the show. As someone who cleared through the first season and half of the second, I got really giddy about the prospect of laying it all out there how much of Kuroko no Basket was about a guy's old teammates showing up to be jealous and upset that he moved on with another partner who is 100% compatible with him.

I did pick up on the subtext easier because I was into a lot of yaoi when I first saw it, but the schadenfreude from watching someone desperately try to act like the homoeroticism of Taiga and Kuroko's bond was bros being bros was like Christmas. Like when people see the GIF of Ocelot kissing Snake in MGS4 and are like "It's totally not gay! He was just trying to embarrass him," discounting every other time that Ocelot had expressed he had feelings for Big Boss.

If Tetsuya's character became female and not a single word of dialogue was changed, this show would easily be marked as Romance.

If Tetsuya's character became female and not a single word of dialogue was changed, this show would easily be marked as Romance.

when a character actually makes a Love confession then we'll talk

I'm just saying I've seen plenty of EXTREMELY GAY seeming animes pull a "nope they're all hetero" ending