UnevenEdge

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 Episode 1 Discussion Thread, Toonami Premiere

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tuned out of this for a bit.

I'm probably not going to be watching this regularly. Damn it. I want to get into the Gundam franchise, but I guess it's just not for me.

G Gundam is different.  Over the top and a lot of fun.  You might like that one.

But yeah it's just one ep so far of this.

How can you not be?  Robotech... T__T And Dragonball/Z was 80s/early 90s.  It had a unique art style, though.

Well they seem to be the main characters... x_x

I just hope this main guy isn't like Amuro, the main character from the original Mobile Suit Gundam, who was an extremely annoying whiny, crying bitch.  I mean, Shinji had to get it from somewhere, right?

I already explained DBZ started in mid 89.  It's barely 80s.  It's mostly 90's.  And it's art style was very different from this style.

Yep.  I'm sure we'll see them go though their teenage-hormone fueled lives mixed with a Gundum now and then.

she's awesome.

also, Haro was only ever annoying in SEED.

Okay, good, haha.

That was the one on Syfy right?  I tried to watch a few eps and couldn't tolerate it.  The show in general, not just the Haros.

Not sure I've seen any other series with Haros in them.

I can tell this series is probably a thousand times better than IBO, but I feel the first episode is like a jigsaw puzzle that's sloppily and incorrectly put together. So the episode's gonna end with the girl who needed her life saved acting like she's a badass all of a sudden and can go gung-ho status? I was expecting standard plot progression in the first episode because I figured this series would have it together from the outset, not to have to wait for everything to come together.

I already explained DBZ started in mid 89.  It's barely 80s.  It's mostly 90's.  And it's art style was very different from this style.

Yep.  I'm sure we'll see them go though their teenage-hormone fueled lives mixed with a Gundum now and then.

Yes but Dragonball started earlier.  Though again, like you said, different art style.

It's a known issue with this franchise... whiny, angst-ridden teenage pilots. T_T I have a feeling I'm going to miss Mikazuki's badassery and merciless, brutal slaughter...

G Gundam was terrible. might as well call it something else, it was practically a Gundam series in name only. Code Geassand Eureka Seven were more Gundam than G Gundam was.

G Gundam was awesome!  It was fun and over-the-top, like Gurren Lagann!  Who cares if it "was Gundam in name only?"  Also, Code Geass was terrible, and more like Death Note with mechs, though I won't deny the Gundam influence.  Eureka Seven was pretty good, I'll grant, even if many characters were (realistically) unlikable, aside from the two leads.

G Gundam was awesome!  It was fun and over-the-top, like Gurren Lagann!  Who cares if it "was Gundam in name only?"  Also, Code Geass was terrible, and more like Death Note with mechs, though I won't deny the Gundam influence.  Eureka Seven was pretty good, I'll grant, even if many characters were (realistically) unlikable, aside from the two leads.

Maybe Sunrise will make a sequel to G Gundam as a world premiere for Toonami someday? Now THAT would be freaking EPIC!

I've never seen it, but I hear it's a lot like Gurren Lagann, so I'm sure I'd enjoy it!

Well, until next time...

tumblr_ojdz74qHPn1rvb8cmo1_250.gif

How can you not be?  Robotech... T__T And Dragonball/Z was 80s/early 90s.  It had a unique art style, though.

Well they seem to be the main characters... x_x

I just hope this main guy isn't like Amuro, the main character from the original Mobile Suit Gundam, who was an extremely annoying whiny, crying bitch.  I mean, Shinji had to get it from somewhere, right?

For those worried about those kids/friends:

Don't be.

Banagher is the only one of them that's a main character. The school stuff is already over, and even further out of mind when Banagher gets the Gundam as shown at the beginning of the ep. They are not even key characters, just Banagher, from what I rememeber only one other of those friends even has any screentime aside from Micott, and even Micott plays only a tiny little role.

G Gundam was excellent because it wasn't just some mindless smash and bash anime. The characters had their own personalities and each event was building up toward a coherent ending, unlike Gundam Wing and almost all the non-UC Gundams which involve kids with wacky hairstyles going on antsy, woe is me episode long filibusters and the series going nowhere plotwise for several episodes.

I can tell this series is probably a thousand times better than IBO, but I feel the first episode is like a jigsaw puzzle that's sloppily and incorrectly put together. So the episode's gonna end with the girl who needed her life saved acting like she's a badass all of a sudden and can go gung-ho status? I was expecting standard plot progression in the first episode because I figured this series would have it together from the outset, not to have to wait for everything to come together.

She is kind of badass. Not gonna spoil why. :)

What was that, some medieval painting?  I know I've seen it somewhere before.

Yeah, it's referencing this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_and_the_Unicorn

Maybe Sunrise will make a sequel to G Gundam as a world premiere for Toonami someday? Now THAT would be freaking EPIC!

I've never seen it, but I hear it's a lot like Gurren Lagann, so I'm sure I'd enjoy it!

Well, until next time...

tumblr_ojdz74qHPn1rvb8cmo1_250.gif

I dunno about a sequel.  From what I remember it pretty well ended.  Need to re-watch, though.  Haven't seen it since its original Toonami airing.

DUDE YOU GOTTA SEE G GUNDAM!

I'm surprised that SEED wasn't a major hit because it was basically just a prettier version of Gundam Wing at its core. Neither of those is any good though. Think what killed it on TV was that it was only on once a week because that was right when Toonami was removed from CN weekdays.

I think Gundam Unicorn has great promise. I was worried by the commercials that it would be full of the intolerable and senseless babble and histrionics that made series like IBO and Wing laughable, but it already seems to be harkening back to the good ole 80s and 90s UCs, even if the plot is fairly nebulous after the first episode.

I'm surprised that SEED wasn't a major hit because it was basically just a prettier version of Gundam Wing at its core. Neither of those is any good though. Think what killed it on TV was that it was only on once a week because that was right when Toonami was removed from CN weekdays.

I think Gundam Unicorn has great promise. I was worried by the commercials that it would be full of the intolerable and senseless babble and histrionics that made series like IBO and Wing laughable, but it already seems to be harkening back to the good ole 80s and 90s UCs, even if the plot is fairly nebulous after the first episode.

I'd say SEED was a prettier version of First Gundam at its core. at least for the first several episodes.

Wing is more like 00 was.