UnevenEdge

why are a lot of Anime DVD/Blu-Rays $40 or more for just 12 episodes?

CountFrylock

i was looking at funimation's website and noticed a lot of the animes they sell on DVD/Blu-Ray cost more than they should....

if you are gonna pay $50 for that then you should get a large amount of content but instead it's just 12 episodes....

and to my knowledge there's not much else to really bump up the price so I'm left wondering why and how this happened?

my only guess is it's just a way of making enough money to stay in business and there is no logical reason why such a small set costs so much

Just how prices are now. If you think that's bad Ponycanyon and Aniplex prices are much worse. Never buy from Funimation directly though. Go to rightstuf or amazon, although new stuff probably won't be much cheaper unless there's a sale. Regarding Funimation releases specifically it's often better to just wait for cheaper rereleases like s.a.v.e or anime classic editions unless you really want a particular series now and can afford it.

That is...very cheap as far as anime goes, and I'm not even counting Aniplex's supreme horseshit or Japan's domestic insanity.  Like at one point the domestic anime industry ran on $30 single volumes with 3-4 episodes each.  If you shop during a RightStuf sale and/or wait until a later bundled re-release, you're not paying any more than you would for a domestically-produced TV series.

i was looking at funimation's website and noticed a lot of the animes they sell on DVD/Blu-Ray cost more than they should....

if you are gonna pay $50 for that then you should get a large amount of content but instead it's just 12 episodes....

and to my knowledge there's not much else to really bump up the price so I'm left wondering why and how this happened?

my only guess is it's just a way of making enough money to stay in business and there is no logical reason why such a small set costs so much

Because there are people who will pay those prices. That's it.

The anime industry is very expensive, and some companies breathe down the necks of Western anime producers like Funimation and Sentai to make sure that they won't have to worry about Japanese fans getting their hands on cheap box sets. The Aniplex prices are about the same as Japanese prices for anime, if not more. What we see with Aniplex and the old Geneon model is what is implemented over there where it's $60 for 4 episodes. The concern comes from Western markets where you can get the entire series of Breaking Bad in America for around the same price as buying the first half of the new Fate/Stay Night anime in Japan. The even ground tends to be if you're not charging a fortune for your show, just keep shit high enough that we can profit from it without worrying about a decrease in domestic profits due to importing the Western release. Not the most amicable business model, but it's as lenient as it gets.

For the short series ones I think it would be nice if they added some extra stuff. Even outtakes would be welcome, since the special features are usually just the textless op/ed and ads for other anime they are selling.

Funimation streaming has pretty much eliminated the need to buy any funi anime. Pretty much for what one boxset costs you can watch all of their shows for the year.

Still what we pay is a drop in the bucket compared to what they pay in Japan. Buying a series over there can run $100-$600. For example a Naruto DVD only has 3 episodes on it compared to the US which has 25 eps per set, but it costs $30 usd. That means to own every episode of Naruto in Japan it would roughly cost $7k.

For the short series ones I think it would be nice if they added some extra stuff. Even outtakes would be welcome, since the special features are usually just the textless op/ed and ads for other anime they are selling.

Most licensors won't sign off on allowing outtakes to be included in their show these days, as it is seen as "demeaning" the franchise, or something.

The real reason for the high prices is a government conspiracy in an attempt to keep nerds off of drugs. It's the same thing used in things like Magic: The Gathering cards and D&D rulebooks.