UnevenEdge

Science, Tech and Computing News and Vids

Admin

My undergraduate political science capstone course was "Utopias and Dystopias" and was about the attempts to forcibly create nazi and communist utopias in Germany, Russia, and China, and how the totalitarian dystopias they devolved into.

My speakers are broken and I don't have headphones, so I don't actually know if that's what your video is about.

I'M HELPING.

Another 100 feet of Alaskan coastline, the white rhino, 1,000,000,000,000 Square Feet of Arctic Ice among other things will be lost to climate change in 2017 as we are possibly transitioning into a new epoch; "The Anthropocene".

i'm gonna be at the exact point of longest duration for this eclipse. had the date blocked off for almost 3 years now. if anyone wants to join in, i'll be setting up camp somewhere in giant city state park, SE of makanda.

then we wait until 4/8/24 for the next one to pass through my backyard again...........

yep. i'm actually considering moving my viewing location to just a couple miles east of the 8/21 point of greatest duration. i'd miss the greatest duration by about 1/10th of a second by moving off apex, but the tradeoff is pretty cool. the 2024 eclipse will also pass directly overhead at the same point, near the east shore of cedar lake. two total solar eclipses passing directly overhead, 7 years apart, in the same spot. now that's pretty cool indeed.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/overlap.htm

basically instead of posting a separate news thread for each individual item, there's just going to be one single "news feed" type thread.

the observation being, if there's like 10 new news stories one day, and 2 the next, and 5 the next, it tends to create this folder of all news items with no replies, just views.  And then in turn that pushes all the actual discussion threads off the front page.

so doing it this way will allow us to post the news, as much or as little as there is for any given day, and all the regular discussion threads won't get displaced quite so badly.

If you see a topic you'd like to discuss in the news feed, you can always make a new thread about it if there isn't already one on the board.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...