UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Amanchu! Advance 10

Well that was certainly a very soothing New Years gathering. Who knew Granny was such a looker in her youth? But then that's how it always goes in anime I suppose, isn't it?xD

Edited by BUU8800

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. 2, 21

Grandparents shipping wars! Well I gotta side with Granny on this one. Aiura and her big, beautiful tits for Saiki!xD Meanwhile poor Chiyo is destined to never get Kaidou huh? Too bad. :(

Edited by BUU8800

Golden Kamuy 10

Tanigaki's thrilling escape this week! And finally introducing another big player, Kiroranke. My goodness though, the Shiraishi censorship. I'm already beginning to dread the home release now.xD To be sure another engrossing episode that moves the story along, but perhaps my biggest surprise was that post ending stinger. They're really doing the hotel arc? Don't get me wrong, that's cool, but I honestly thought they were gonna skip it and put it out later as that OVA I heard about. Well next week should definitely be...interesting, but then when is this show ever not? xD

Edited by BUU8800

Magical Girl Ore 10

Spoiler

I'm not sure if Hyoe not actually being a bad guy or the surprise Creamy Mami references (no name change necessary) surprised me more, but I had a feeling that image I saw on ANN of Manager-kun walking in on a bunch of demons squabbling with one another had some twisty connotations.

3D Kanojo: Real Girl 11

Okay, who the fuck just walks up to a dude and punches him square in the face on their first meeting like that?xD And he's the antagonistic never-before mentioned brother introduced in the last 2 minutes of the penultimate episode? Seriously, that's hilariously bad. And you were doing so well with Tsutsui trying to ship Itou with Ayado too show. Derp faces aside anyway. Sigh, well...let's end this disappointing series already.

Edited by BUU8800

On 6/11/2018 at 9:40 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Koi Kaze 1 (rewatch)

How timely of you. :P

Mr. Osomatsu #24 and #25
Megalo Box #10
Magical Girl Ore #11
Kakegurui #6

The only thing I didn't get about the finale was how the galactic baseball team was any better than the one the Matsunos were able to field. Both resorted to the tactic of outright murdering the other team's players, but only one had Iyami's remote control to make everyone disintegrate at once. But other than that, it was a great send-off to the season, with that explosion of continuity and surreal humor. I hope the next one leans more towards the latter, because the crazed relations between the sextuplets that outright carry a lot of segments have become tired by now.

0Fz401E.jpg

HO9z6Yg.jpg

Kakegurui's English dub is really good, if only because you get to hear some VAs play much different roles than usual. Sarah Williams' role as Midari is an especially great example. O.o

3-gatsu no Lion 23 - 44(END of Season 2)

Normally I'd number that differently, but judging by the episode numbers given during the previews the show itself makes it clear that's correct. Anyway I wanted to watch this weekly as it aired as I did the first season, but real life ended up nixing that. I've caught up at last. I say caught up because even though afaik no season 3 has been announced as of yet, the show itself obviously thinks one is coming. Absolutely no attempt at a finale, just another episode. And one which annoyingly brought up Rei's adoptive family again, which save a brief appearance by his sister back around the 2nd episode, was entirely ignored this season. I don't know how to feel about that whole situation. I had forgotten a lot about this show during my extended wait between seasons 1 and 2, but it slowly started coming back to me as it went along. I remember hating Rei's stepdad for effectively abandoning any interest in his biological children after taking him in and realizing they were never going to be the kind of shogi master he someday would. But the show makes a point to note their laziness compared to him is a large reason why. They're clearly not "good kids" by the show's standards, and they definitely aren't guiltless, but really I tend to blame the parents more. It's just an ugly situation all around, and one clearly not even close to being resolved.

That said there seemed to be two main arcs this season: Hina's Bullying Saga, and a second arc of shogi matches that were really a bunch of smaller arcs spread around Hina's. Rei learning of Nikaidou's illness and battling Mr. Clean, that old dude facing Shimada for his 10th consecutive title, Rei finally going up against Souya in an exhibition match, etc. Back when Shimada faced Souya in season 1 I remember feeling bored by it, or maybe impatient. I've felt all along only Rei would ever actually defeat Souya, so why care when Shimada was doomed to lose? And while I was right about that outcome I was wrong in my outlook. For one thing apparently Souya has lost matches. But more broadly speaking this is a series that's largely a character study revolving around shogi, and I really didn't appreciate that about it at the time. Some of it works for me, I'm a big Nikaidou fan for instance. (And is his va the same as Bakugo from Academia? That blew my mind. I can't stand Bakugo so hearing his fiery attitude come out of chubby, endearing Nikaidou was sure something.) Others didn't, I figured Shimada would lose, again in a big time match, this time to the old dude so those episodes didn't really click with me much. I guess I can appreciate the themes they were trying to address but....I still would have rather had Shimada actually win. Leave the older generation trying to remain strong and relevant and carrying on where others have fallen stuff to Hina's grandpa. He's actually cool. 

Generally speaking however as someone who still doesn't even know the rules of shogi and probably never will, that side of the series was never where my main interest resided. It was always with the sisters. And through Hina's bullying arc their story this time was a particularly harrowing one. One, like with the adoptive family, with no easy or complete answer. I felt angry at the weak willed homeroom teacher who ignored Chiho's suffering, a woman who clearly should have been forced to retire long ago, but when she finally collapsed from the anxiety I couldn't help but feel slightly sympathetic despite my contempt. I felt depressed at the unfortunately realistic nature of humanity on display throughout. From the students looking the other way to avoid becoming targets, to the lack of proof of something obvious to nearly everyone involved when a rowdy parent, blind to their own child's true nature, got involved. It was all so demonstrative of how shitty life often is. Only the effort to deconstruct the main bully girl didn't really click with me entirely. She was afraid of trying and discovering her limits would disappoint her so never did and lashed out at poor Chiho? She didn't understand why you should be empathetic with others and treat them as you would prefer to be treated? Sure, people like that exist, and life is largely pointless, but don't ask me to sympathize with them. Help them if you can, but don't devote screentime to it, just take them outta my sight. I dunno, that's probably too shallow thinking but whatever. Hina was an absolute champ throughout. And while I wish she'd kept her hair long she remains the best character in the series, for my money. 

So where to score this? I almost wanna call it begrudging considering how bleak and depressing it often was, but it earned an 8 out of 10. I'll certainly try and tune in for more if it ever comes back, but have no real desire to relive what I've seen to this point.

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai 11

Yes Tada, fly to her as we all knew you would. Don't bother trying to subvert expectations in any way show. You aren't good enough for it. Sigh.  Well that was, once again, extremely paint by numbers level cliche. All I've been doing is repeating myself so I'll just say again how disappointing it was for this series to waste such a good cast on such a cliche plot. This show easily could have been an 8 out of 10, no way in hell that's happening now.

Comic Girls 11

Well holy fuck, Kaos-sensei actually did it. She got a teeny tiny, itsy bitsy, speck of success! Okay show, you surprised me. Good on ya!

One Outs 14

Spoiler

If I had watched this as it aired, I'd already be calling Toua the best character of the Winter '09 season. The worst, BTW, would be Aya's so-called friends from Master of Martial Hearts. Wanting to kill the daughter of the woman who doomed your mothers to a life as brainless sex slaves just because she's that woman's daughter (and maybe also because she doomed several others to that fate), likeable characters do not make. Even Hiroshi Morenos is a step above them, and he was a total ass!

vIEepFa.png

Black Jack TV 8
Magical Girl Ore 11

Spoiler

This was definitely one of the lighter TV version's darker episodes, between the one character of the week losing his arms to Truck-kun and the other actually dying from his injuries. Definitely an emotional one, I even felt myself on the verge of tears at least once. (Or maybe that was just the result of me spending all night binging Ennui Go! instead of sleeping like a normal person, but whatever.)

I unironically loved everyone going all QUALITY thanks to the demon portals. It's like Pierrot/ARMS is finally taking pot-shots at their own at-times below-par animation. :D

Edited by PokeNirvash

Toji no Miko 23

Final battle time, but first, snacks! Because of course.xD Your attempt at making me care about that red-haired woman or the white haired dead drone failed miserably show. Guess Kanami and Hiyori are sealed elsewhere with Tagitsu or some shit? Whatever, we'll see next week when this mercifully ends.

Edited by BUU8800